personality traits of a successful freelancer?

Laurie PK

Fulltime blogger & freelance writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
I'm writing an article about the personality traits of a successful writer, and am curious what you guys think! When the article is written, I'll post the link here -- it's for my Q & T for Freelance Writers blog.

So, any suggestions for me? What personality traits make a writer (freelance or not) successful? (Beyond the obvious discipline and perseverance!).

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I think stubborness and ego are two biggies. I know they have served me well. Example of the stubborness: my mother was very non-supportive and said I would never sell my writing consistently. Instead of believing that and letting it hurt me, it hardened me and made me even more driven to succeed. Example of ego: one of my first sales occurred when I read an article on horse training and thought, "I can do better than that!" A writer isn't going to get very far if they're crushed by rejection slips or intimidated by everyone else out there who might be a better writer. You have to have a healthy coat of Teflon and faith that you can run with the big dogs and that you deserve to.

Just my two cents worth!

Laurie PK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
Thanks Barb!

Hey everybody - if I use your info, I'll include your name and a link to your blog or website. If you don't want to post that info here, email me your thoughts about personality traits of writers and your link!

Barb, can I use your name and link to something?

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
Stubbornness, yes, and an unwillingness to give up in the face of constant rejection! I would also add patience - we all know how long it can take to get a response to a query, if we get a response at all. But we also need to be thorough, taking the time to research our markets before writing a pitch. We must also be bold, willing to call a magazine to find out who the editor is and how to pitch, and willing to talk to people in order to get those great quotes that will sell our stories!

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
Consistency - too many people are flaky. A freelance writer can make a career of being reliable and delivering on time with quality. Unlike other jobs that allow you to slack off and make up for it, writing has deadlines that need to be met or not only do you lose a customer but you lose your reputation.

If you use... http://cqwriting.com :)

s.w. Gamble

Registered
Reaction score
I would have to say
strong will- if you going to let the first rejection slip or the first you suck ruin your career before it even gets start you will never become a writer or for that matter anything in life that not something they can train a monkey for.

Laurie PK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
Okay, I've written the article http://theadventurouswriter.com/blogwriting/ If anyone has anything to add, please feel free to do it here and I'll include it in the article if it's suitable, or make a comment at the end of my article.

Thanks for your help :) If I've made any errors, Monica, Barb, or Casey, feel free to post here or email me [email protected]. Maybe you'll see some traffic from this....

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
let's see. For me it would be taking action in the face of fear. A freelancer is tenacious, persistent, and hard-working. A freelancer is more afraid of not being heard than of being rejected. That's all from me.

Fiat Lux

Registered
Reaction score
attention to detail

Everyone has posted great qualities. I find that attention to detail is vital.

I freelance for magazines and it's a tough, competitive market. Not only do you absolutely have to know the English language inside and out, you've also got to know 1) standard style, such as you would find in the AP Stylebook or the Chicago Manual of Style, 2) the magazine you're writing this article for -- its personality, readership, etc., 3) the writer's guidelines for the magazine, which can provide info that isn't obvious just by looking at the magazine.

It's the writers who put all that info to good use that get the most sales and the biggest checks. The more details the editor has to fix in your copy, the less likely you'll get another assignment. Editors tell me they love my work because all they have to do is read it and send it on to the graphics dept for layout. Now that's a compliment!