auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
...for that paper cut?

I have just about used up Agent Query so I finally logged onto Query Tracker looking for some fresh names.

The main page about says it all.

Literary Agents Listed 1,180

Registered Users 9,920

Success Stories 78

*heavy sigh*

Anyone have an abacus and want to calculate out that percentage rate?

/whine...off to keep plugging away anyway :(

We are a helpless lot of gluttons for punishment, aren't we?

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
How many of those are not ready to submit? How many don't have a story that's marketable (for any number of reasons.)

I'm going to continue to tell myself that I *do* (or will!) have a story ready for the market and it's just matter of finding agents

Also, how many of those ecstatic writers who've snared agents and gotten pub deals actually go back and report it to Query Tracker. To me, that's akin to the number of people who *do* notify management when a retail employee goes above and beyond the call of duty.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Remember, of what is submitted to the slush pile, 95% of it is pure dreck. This includes submissions on scented paper, people with absolutely no sense of grammar etc. You can write a complete sentence. You do your research. That alone puts you in the top 5%.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I know for a fact that not all members of querytracker.net report their success stories (but I did). I can tell you that a large number of agents listed are tagged as not accepting unsolicited queries, so you can't figure them into the total of "available" agents unless you have some kind of in with them.

Don't be discouraged! It only takes one yes.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
We are a helpless lot of gluttons for punishment, aren't we?
I prefer to think of us as masochists. :D

This business is a tough nut to crack, but like the old saying goes, if it was easy, everyone would do it. I figure that how tough it is to break into the writing/publishing industry is going to make my eventual success that much sweeter (if and when, right?).

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I used Querytracker but stopped before I got my offer. So...

79 success stories!

There's hope.

The reason most people don't get agents is that most people give up.

Don't be one of those people.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I used Querytracker but stopped before I got my offer. So...

79 success stories!

There's hope.

The reason most people don't get agents is that most people give up.

Don't be one of those people.

That's so, so very true! I hear about people ready to slit their wrists because they got a couple dozen rejections. A lot of new writers have the attitude that if everyone doesn't love it, there must be something wrong. They love their book, so does their mom, their best friend, and Great Aunt Mildred, so that means the book should be a best seller. Right? RIGHT? In comes the giant clue stick. It's so difficult to get across to others the subjectivity of this business.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
That's so, so very true! I hear about people ready to slit their wrists because they got a couple dozen rejections. A lot of new writers have the attitude that if everyone doesn't love it, there must be something wrong. They love their book, so does their mom, their best friend, and Great Aunt Mildred, so that means the book should be a best seller. Right? RIGHT? In comes the giant clue stick. It's so difficult to get across to others the subjectivity of this business.

But...she's just my aunt - not my great aunt...but she is a great aunt!

Too funny. All the above is true & the aunt Mil bit... slam!

Thanks everyone! I really love AW. Its easier being in that sinking ship when its with friends!

I'm too stubborn to give up - no worries. I just needed to vent...again. :}

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
No, the percentage isn't great, but it's not the lottery. We don't all have equal chances. Some authors submit many, many MS but don't take the time to keep learning the craft. It only makes sense to keep submitting if each book is better than the one before it.

Plus there's the fickle nature of the business. The timing of catching the trend.... When Twilight first went big, I bet agents carefully read every vampire book they could get their hands on. Now that the trend has run for a while, good luck getting any vampire book looked at unless you're offering something truly high-concept and strikingly original. Those are things you can't control, so don't even try.

Status
Not open for further replies.