Not open for further replies.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Something weird has happened to my computer. When the last Windows update came, there was an option to update the trackpad drivers, so I went ahead and did it - why not? Well, ever since then, the trackpad settings have gone all weird. It's reinstated the setting where you tap the pad to click (which I kind of like, but I keep clicking by mistake), and using the side of the pad to scroll no longer works (which I love).
I've tried going into the mouse settings, but I can't find anything for trackpad options. I'm sure I've done it before, but I can't find it again - any ideas? Please?

ETA - Ok, weirdly, it wasn't the driver - that lists its update as being in June. So what the hell was updated?

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I have a tiny touchpad icon at the right end of my taskbar, beside the clock, that allows me to adjust settings, pressure, contact area, etc.

But if you don't see this, or have already fiddled about with it and got no joy, then try Control Panel > Device Manager > Mice and other pointing devices

On my laptop, 3 pointing devices list -- USB browser mouse, Wacom mouse (actually a Wacom tablet) and Alps Pointing-Device which is my little touchpad thingy, yours could have a different name.

It's possible you may be able to restore your previous level of driver software. When I double-click on the Alps item, up pops the Properties panel which has a Driver tab. One of the buttons under this tab is Roll Back Driver which in theory should (as the name suggests) go back to the previous level.

-Derek

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have a tiny touchpad icon at the right end of my taskbar, beside the clock, that allows me to adjust settings, pressure, contact area, etc.

But if you don't see this, or have already fiddled about with it and got no joy, then try Control Panel > Device Manager > Mice and other pointing devices.
I did have that, but I stopped it showing up as I like to keep my taskbar tidy, and it only led to the regular mouse options anyway. Under those mouse options, all I have showing are things like what each button does, how fast the double click needs to be, pointer options and so on - all things applicable to a normal mouse, nothing for the trackpad.
Can't rollback the driver either since, as far as Windows is concerned anyway, the driver hasn't changed since I bought the computer. So I'm confused as to exactly what has been updated.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
When you double-click to get into the Mouse/ Pointer options-- go to the last tab (should be Advanced.) Then go to Advanced Feature Settings. This should hide all the special track pad things that i turn off (like the touch to click.)

If you have XP, and you're having trouble with the system tray hiding icons-- there's a glitch with XP. You can right click and tell the system tray to "always show" all your items. Leave it that way for a little bit (couple minutes usually does it) then go back in and put it back to "hide when inactive."

Does this help at all? My Xp got a little wonky after one of the last updates (SP3, I think it was, but it might have been one of the smaller ones.) Sometimes the comptuer doesn't recognize when it's been updated... i dunno. It's gremlins. ;-)

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
When you double-click to get into the Mouse/ Pointer options-- go to the last tab (should be Advanced.) Then go to Advanced Feature Settings. This should hide all the special track pad things that i turn off (like the touch to click.)

If you have XP, and you're having trouble with the system tray hiding icons-- there's a glitch with XP. You can right click and tell the system tray to "always show" all your items. Leave it that way for a little bit (couple minutes usually does it) then go back in and put it back to "hide when inactive."

Does this help at all? My Xp got a little wonky after one of the last updates (SP3, I think it was, but it might have been one of the smaller ones.) Sometimes the comptuer doesn't recognize when it's been updated... i dunno. It's gremlins. ;-)
Don't have any 'Advanced' tab under the mouse options. And I'm running Vista Home Basic (shudder), not XP. I have the system tray thing worked out fine - just can't find out where to change the trackpad settings.

Damn you Windows! Roll on the day I get a good job and can afford a Mac again!

Status
Not open for further replies.