PDA

View Full Version : OBAMA WINS

Darzian
11-05-2008, 09:29 AM
As anticipated and expected, Barack Obama won the presidential election lol.

Though I'm on the other side of the world, I eagerly await his steps in resolving the problems left behind by Bush. He's been given a magnificent opportunity to make a name for himself in world history. Let's hope for a stronger and more peaceful world in this defining moment.

Susie
11-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Ditto on what Darzian said so eloquently!

dpaterso
11-05-2008, 12:00 PM
It's been quite a night!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/americas/2008/vote_usa_2008/default.stm

-Derek

Darzian
11-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I found the victory speech so moving and authentic (for a change) that I can only imagine the impact on Americans.

Shadow_Ferret
11-05-2008, 04:30 PM
*yawns*

Who won?

*shrugs*

Like it ever makes a difference.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Amen, Ferret. No matter the side, a politician won. We'll see how it went when we take the country's temperature again in four years.

Elaine Margarett
11-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I think it's a telling statement when NonAmericans watched this race with such interest. We (the world) have a vested interest in governments who are transparent; who take into account our place and affect on the world at large. I'm looking forward to a new day when the phrase "in Amercian Interest" when applied to foreign policy no longer sends shivers of dread through me.

I also look forward to the day when Bush is out of the Whitehouse and we learn even more about his dirty dealings. It will be painful in many ways, but it also will be a chance to regain a measure of respect. Something America has been sorely lacking.

I'm sooo happy. What a wonderful day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bmwhtly
11-05-2008, 04:53 PM
*yawns*

Who won?

*shrugs*

Like it ever makes a difference.I think I'm more excited about Lewis Hamilton winning.

Shadow_Ferret
11-05-2008, 04:54 PM
You made me google that, BM.

regdog
11-05-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm thrilled that Massachusetts banned greyhound racing in the state.
Jan. 1, 2010 no more greyhound racing.
:hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray:

Darzian
11-05-2008, 04:57 PM
*yawns*

Who won?

*shrugs*

Like it ever makes a difference.

I knew animals were unpatriotic. Where are you hiding for the winter, ferret?

Pagey's_Girl
11-05-2008, 05:00 PM
It's going to be epic here at work. We have one VERY vocal McCain supporter who loathes Obama - amid a whole bunch of Obama suppporters who are all to eager to rub his nose in it. (I'm not rubbing anyone's nose in anything, I had it done to me after the last election. I was the lone Kerry supporter amid a herd of Bushies and they did NOT let me forget that Kerry lost....)

WWIII, anyone? I may need tequila by the time today is over with...

Shadow_Ferret
11-05-2008, 05:05 PM
I knew animals were unpatriotic. Where are you hiding for the winter, ferret?
How does my belief that whoever is President won't effect someone on 15th and Walnut Street make me unpatriotic?

Change comes at the local level. Not national.

And if it matters, I voted for Obama.

Darzian
11-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Change comes at the local level. Not national.

National events affect local ones.

Don Allen
11-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Without over dramitization, I seen a determination in this guys face last night that seemed to say, "I want to start this job", I don't care if you love him or hate him, I just want a President who wants to work for the American people instead of a "party" or their own self interests, Congrats Barrack.

JoeEkaitis
11-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Gimme my tax break.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Do I have to wait 'til January to skip paying my mortgage or can I do it now?

Darzian
11-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Do I have to wait 'til January to skip paying my mortgage or can I do it now?

Till end of January.

Pagey's_Girl
11-05-2008, 06:04 PM
I knew this morning was going to be not nice at work, but it's getting uglier than I thought. World War III may have been an understatement.

I'm not being flip for once. I'm actually scared...

Shadow_Ferret
11-05-2008, 06:24 PM
National events affect local ones.
I see you subscribe to the trickle down theory of politics. :D

Pagey's_Girl
11-05-2008, 06:34 PM
I think it's a little calmer here - I hope so. I mean, passionate is one thing, but there's such a thing as taking it too far. Way too far.

MelodyO
11-05-2008, 06:37 PM
I think it's a little calmer here - I hope so. I mean, passionate is one thing, but there's such a thing as taking it too far. Way too far.

Can you provide details of what exactly you're talking about?

Pagey's_Girl
11-05-2008, 06:42 PM
One of the guys here is a ferverent (and very loud) McCain supporter amid a bunch of Obama backers. Well, he's not happy this morning, to say the least - and I think they really went too far giving him a hard time. I was really afraid for about an hour there that I was going to have to call 911 and/or run for my life, but I think things are settling down a bit. I hope.

ETA - NO MORE BUSH!!! I'm happy today. :D

Shadow_Ferret
11-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Can you provide details of what exactly you're talking about?
Dancing in the streets?

Pagey's_Girl
11-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Dancing in the streets?

Actually, with all the Obama '08 signs in the windows around the office, I'm a little surprised they're not.

Shadow_Ferret
11-05-2008, 06:51 PM
They did here. Last night. All over the city.

I had to throw water on them so I could get some sleep.

Mela
11-05-2008, 07:00 PM
I woke up at 3:30 a.m. and my husband was already up and watching TV and when I asked him who won he said "McCain." Wasn't that a dirty rotten thing to say to someone half asleep?

Darzian, I read with interest comments from you and from others around the world who also felt as though they have a stake in this election. Let's hope change truly does come.

I look forward to changing my signature below. But we'll always have those little Bushisms to look back and shudder on, won't we?

And for the record: Me vote for Obama too.

Siddow
11-05-2008, 07:02 PM
I am seriously frightened.

A woman on the news last night said, "Oh thank God Obama won. Now I don't have to worry about my mortgage or my credit card bills."

???

Do people really believe that an Obama presidency means a free ride? How the heck is that gonna work?

Cranky
11-05-2008, 07:07 PM
I am seriously frightened.

A woman on the news last night said, "Oh thank God Obama won. Now I don't have to worry about my mortgage or my credit card bills."

???

Do people really believe that an Obama presidency means a free ride? How the heck is that gonna work?

I never underestimate the American people when it comes to hearing what they want to hear...

I think that's why Obama looked so serious when he was giving his speech last night. He's starting to feel the full weight of some seriously overblown expectations.

I almost feel sorry for those that want to believe he's going to wave some kind of magic wand and make all the bad stuff go away. But not really. Anyone who believes a President can do that is living in a fantasy world I want no part of.

I expect him to work hard and to try to be effective and as bipartisan as possible. I don't expect much more than that, and I wouldn't have expected much more than that from McCain, either.

spaceman4572
11-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I found Obamas acceptance speech to be very moving and I believe that he is an amazing Orator. And I found Mccains consession speech to be surprisingly sincere and was not the speech of a bad loser but of acknowledgement to the person who won the contest. I think that Obama is what the nation needs and is the face that we need diplomatically worldwide. Obama reminds me of one of my favorite presidents JFK who said "it is not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country". Regardless of who you are you should actually look at Obama's speeches and see if you see what I see. Because when I here obama speak i hear a president speak. the way he speaks and the way he carries him self you cannot deny is presidential. Congratulations President Elect Barrack Hussien Obama.

C.bronco
11-05-2008, 07:12 PM
On one hand, it is pretty cool that we have elected an African-American president, and that Jane Fonda and Erica Jong will no longer need pills to keep themselves from crying all night.

On the other hand, I look at his platform and philosophy, and say YIKES! Hooverville here we come!

Well, at least it wasn't Hilary. Therein lies my solace.

Mela
11-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I think that's why Obama looked so serious when he was giving his speech last night. He's starting to feel the full weight of some seriously overblown expectations.

I almost feel sorry for those that want to believe he's going to wave some kind of magic wand and make all the bad stuff go away. But not really. Anyone who believes a President can do that is living in a fantasy world I want no part of.

On Morning Joe this morning Joe Scarborough brought up the same point: that the man has been deified, placed on a lofty pedastle and there's a real danger to that, both for Obama and for those who voted for him.

But to think an Obama election means a free meal ticket is just loopy.

Darzian
11-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Of course nothing will happen overnight. I even wonder why the election was 2.5 months before the oath taking ceremony.

But over time, there is the possibility of improvements in all aspects. Even if it comes down to crude politics, Obama is going to want a second term, and for that reason at the very least he will have to fulfill at least some of his campaign promises.

Cranky
11-05-2008, 07:17 PM
On Morning Joe this morning Joe Scarborough brought up the same point: that the man has been deified, placed on a lofty pedastle and there's a real danger to that, both for Obama and for those who voted for him.

But to think an Obama election means a free meal ticket is just loopy.

Yep. Hopefully, the election high will wear off for those folks soon, and when reality sets in, I hope it doesn't get ugly. I honestly think that's a large part of Bush's problem (at least among Republicans). He had a mandate after 9/11, most of the country was behind him, and he failed to deliever in a lot of ways.

The fruit of disappointment is always bitter, and there are a lot of bitter people running around these days. Some were bitter before last night, and some are a bit bitter afterwards. Makes me think that bipartisanship will never be more than a pipe dream, because people are too interested in venting their spleens and feeling "better", rather than leaving the past behind and getting on with business.

*shrug*

And with that happy thought, I'm off to write. I want to go play in a world that makes sense to me for awhile.

Shadow_Ferret
11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Of course nothing will happen overnight. I even wonder why the election was 2.5 months before the oath taking ceremony.

It's something left over form the olden days when the votes were carried by Pony Express riders all the way from Alaska. I think that's where McCain first got involved in politics, as a rider.

Shadow_Ferret
11-05-2008, 07:30 PM
I wonder if that wasn't just urban myth?

maestrowork
11-05-2008, 07:34 PM
One of the guys here is a ferverent (and very loud) McCain supporter amid a bunch of Obama backers. Well, he's not happy this morning, to say the least - and I think they really went too far giving him a hard time. I was really afraid for about an hour there that I was going to have to call 911 and/or run for my life, but I think things are settling down a bit. I hope.

ETA - NO MORE BUSH!!! I'm happy today. :D

I think people should really listen to what Obama had to say last night about being one people, one nation. And grow up. To kill each other over an election or some guy who's going to be the President. That tells you the mindset of these people.

I mean, we have people of all political persuasions here, and we get along rather well. Those who are immature have been banned (at least from the political board). I wish in real life it could be more like on AW. Instead, there are a lot of ass-faces from both sides out there. It's really sad.

Darzian
11-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I was in class today and heard from a classmate that an Obama supporter holding a sign on the side of the road. Was intentionally hit with a car by a McCain supporter. The man died.

O-m-g

HorrorWriter
11-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I just wanted to chime in. :hooray: Yay, Obama won!! :partyguy: Woohoo! It's time for a change. :PartySmil:TheWave:

Pagey's_Girl
11-05-2008, 07:46 PM

I expect him to work hard and to try to be effective and as bipartisan as possible. I don't expect much more than that, and I wouldn't have expected much more than that from McCain, either.

Amen. That's all we can expect of our leaders. I don't expect all our problems to suddenly vanish. It's going to be a long hard road to straighten things out. But we will finally have a thinking adult in the White House again who - from my impression - understands the incredible responsibility he's taken on and seems to be up to the challenge.

It's still going to be a long, long night until the sunrise. But I think we're finally past midnight...

Mela
11-05-2008, 07:47 PM
I've been thinking: it took roughly 100 years after the Civil War for a Civil Rights bill to get passed and only 40 years from 1968 to elect the first black president. What do we owe that too - a rapid advancement in technology over the past 40 years - were we all brought closer together by our advancements, so that even race divisions blurred?

I ask in part because my stepson is a millenium baby and I've noticed that him and his peers don't view race the way we did in the 1960s and 1970s. Is that owed to the advances we have made in technology - that he is a beneficiary of - in bringing people and cultures and news and theories to us faster? Did it help to break down barriers?

Is that too heavy a thought for 10:45 in the morning (EST)?

maestrowork
11-05-2008, 07:49 PM

I agree, and that's point he tried to get across last night. He said there is hard work to be done, and many problems and differences. He said we can't expect the government to solve everything. He said he would have false starts, false moves, mistakes, and we probably wouldn't fix any issues within months, a year, or even a term. But we should have hope, and work hard on it. All of us.

It echoed what I heard from JFK's speech: ask not what the country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. And that's strongly my belief. I think Americans have become complacent, bitter, angry, and disheartened and selfish in the last few years, especially after 9/11 and Iraq when it seemed like the whole world was against us.

And I see in his face a man who is determined to work hard, and accept criticism and advice. A man who really wants to do good work for the American people -- who is not only here to win for self-interest. A man who knows difficult times ahead, but also the hope that we can do it.

And I see a man who wants to reach across party lines and work together, to fix the partisan bickering and the fracture in our government and society. When George W. Bush said he was the "uniter" -- I didn't believe him. When Obama said he wanted to bring everyone together -- I did.

His own campaign is a great testament. Here he is, a man whom we barely knew just 4 years ago, starting on his first term as Senator. But he managed to inspire a whole new generation who have been apathetic; he managed to bring people of all colors and backgrounds together. Nobody thought he could defeat Hillary Clinton, let alone winning the Presidency. And yet here he is, breaking the barrier and achieving the unachievable, making history along the way.

Like him or not, we have to agree: this IS the American dream.

But I think good will is contagious. When the whole world cheers for Obama's win and regain it's hope for a brighter future, something will turn. It's not some hokey new age speak here. I firmly believe in the power of the will, and multiply that by millions, billions maybe, you have one powerful thing going on.

I know there are naysayers out there, and those who can't let themselves believe something good will happen. It's a shame because here is our opportunities and chance to do something good, to make the world see what Americans are really made of.

Never underestimate the power of hope over fear, no matter how dire and cynical we feel. Americans have gone through some really dark times, among the good. I've gone through some dark times myself, and every time -- every single time -- hope triumphed over fear and I prevailed and I became strong and better than I ever was. I think America will rise again.

Darzian
11-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I firmly believe in the power of the will, and multiply that by millions, billions maybe, you have one powerful thing going on.

100% agreed. Universal Law of Attraction.

Pagey's_Girl
11-05-2008, 08:07 PM
What Ray said.

We will get out of this mess. And we, and the world, will be better for it. Yes. We can.

MelodyO
11-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I was a weepy Canadian girl cheering America on last night, let me tell you. My girls were all, "Yes, yes, history, we get it, but do we have to keep on watching CNN forever?"

I don't think Obama is the second coming (although I do think his greatest weakness is that he's just a little too awesome, hee), but here's the point. He doesn't necessarily have to do great things, he just has to inspire others to do great things. That's how the world changes for the better, how it always has, how it always will. He isn't going to save us, he's going to make us want to save ourselves. That's an amazing gift to have, and I think a lot of people want to follow someone who expects them to work hard and sacrifice for the greater good. They're looking for a cause bigger than themselves, and bringing the country back from the brink of disaster is a pretty great place to start.

And I don't think it's naive to have hope and optimism for our collective future. Cynicism has never taken us anywhere but down.

JLCwrites
11-05-2008, 08:24 PM
We had people lighting off fireworks last night. I am so proud of my liberal city! (Runs out to her backyard and hugs one of her trees.) Yay!!!

mscelina
11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
We need a good, smooth transition of power and a reality check to help Obama be as effective as he can be in the first few months of his administration. There are a lot of vicious wounds after this campaign season that won't disappear overnight. Our situation is precarious enough at the moment economically that Obama must be prepared to meet that situation head on and right off the bat. He has got to be willing to sacrifice a bit of his popularity to do what needs to be done.

And we, the citizens who elected him, could help him out a lot by easing the expectations on him. Regardless of what initiatives he introduces, we have to be patient enough to let them have an impact.

Shadow_Ferret
11-05-2008, 08:31 PM
And we, the citizens who elected him, could help him out a lot by easing the expectations on him. Regardless of what initiatives he introduces, we have to be patient enough to let them have an impact.
I wonder if any one man can live up to the expectations that seem to be piled on Obama's shoulders.

I feel sorry for him in a way.

Pagey's_Girl
11-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Someone just made a comment about the "mighty Ship of State" here and so help me, all i could think of was something I saw once on History Channel about these "Liberty Ships" they built back during WWII. They were cargo ships, from what I understood, pretty much knocked together in a day and sent to sea. They were big, ungainly, ugly as anything and so rickety that they had to weld huge beams down the sides to keep them from cracking apart in the middle and sinking. But they did the job. They got the stuff across the ocean to where it was needed. And we could knock 'em together faster than anyone could sink them.

That's the state we're in right now - slapped together, barely kept afloat by two beams and duct tape and creaking across the ocean on a rudder and a prayer....

But now I really believe we're going to make it across.

ETA - Tangent, I know. Forgive me :)

JLCwrites
11-05-2008, 08:34 PM
I think it would be silly for people would expect one man to make a difference in the economy. That takes the effort of everyone in this country.

maestrowork
11-05-2008, 08:37 PM
We need a good, smooth transition of power and a reality check to help Obama be as effective as he can be in the first few months of his administration. There are a lot of vicious wounds after this campaign season that won't disappear overnight. Our situation is precarious enough at the moment economically that Obama must be prepared to meet that situation head on and right off the bat. He has got to be willing to sacrifice a bit of his popularity to do what needs to be done.

I think reaching across party line would be his first step of healing the wounds. And I can see him doing that, especially after so many Republicans actually came out to support him (Colin Powell, for example). I think by reaching across party aisle, by appointing Republicans in his cabinet, for example, he can speed up some of the healing.

It's good to see that he's ready to work, though. He'll be back to the Senate later working on the economy relief stuff.

Atani
11-05-2008, 08:53 PM
This was my first time to vote in a presidential election, not because of my age, but for the first time I was not apathetic. Maybe maturity is finally setting in, but I saw something in Obama that made me care about my country again. I hope he can lead us in positive changes, and I also hope the nation understands how difficult it will be to exact those changes. I agree with what so many have said... no one person can fix America's problems. We must work together. I hope we are up to it.

Yea!!! Hoping for a better future! :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I was in class today and heard from a classmate that an Obama supporter holding a sign on the side of the road. Was intentionally hit with a car by a McCain supporter. The man died.

I hope this remains an isolated incident. I thought the good thing about America was that we could have a change of leadership without bloodshed.

This is the only story I could find related to your report. (http://www.bradenton.com/180/story/1003770.html) No one was hit; no one died... and the 'facts' make it more than a little suspect that it happened at all. We've got enough rumors without passing on unsubtantiated ones.

mscelina
11-05-2008, 09:02 PM
This is the only story I could find related to your report. (http://www.bradenton.com/180/story/1003770.html) No one was hit; no one died... and the 'facts' make it more than a little suspect that it happened at all. We've got enough rumors without passing on unsubtantiated ones.

Quoted for absolute frigging truth.

Jcomp
11-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm running on almost zero sleep.

I spent much of the early evening watching election results with a couple of my boys, thinking, "Man, I can't believe I'm watching CNN on a Tuesday night with my friends, drinking beers, analyzing every little thing, butterflies in my stomach."

It seems almost surreal. Everything combined, the historic nature of this election and its result, the fact that it's over after what felt like several centuries of campaigning, seeing people's reactions and overreactions, how inexplicably nervous I was during his speech. I talked to some black friends who said they were nervous as well, and realized how bizarre that is, for some of us to have that sinking feeling, like the trapdoor's about to swing open beneath us. And there's this lingering sense of animosity somehow in some eyes that have met mine this morning, and in others this unwarranted kinship... it's bizarre...

And now, I want to exhale, but I feel like I can't. I don't know exactly what I feel or how to turn it off.

But overall, it's pretty damn cool. I like to think this is what the 60's were sort of like...

Darzian
11-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Still o-m-g.

nighttimer
11-05-2008, 09:09 PM
I got no time for the cynics.

I got no time for pessimism and fatalists.

I am very happy to be an American today.

Yes We Can? YES WE DID.

BARACK OBAMA IS THE 44th PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

John McCain is a great statesman.

George Bush and Joe the Plumber can kiss my ass.

:snoopy::partyguy::Thumbs::thankyou::hooray::Jump: :Clap::PartySmil:Trophy::TheWave::e2woo::e2bear::e 2dance::e2kissy::e2grouphu:

Lyra Jean
11-05-2008, 09:10 PM
I wonder if that wasn't just urban myth?

It could be. Like I said I just heard it in class from another classmate. I hope it's not true.

mscelina
11-05-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm running on almost zero sleep.

I spent much of the early evening watching election results with a couple of my boys, thinking, "Man, I can't believe I'm watching CNN on a Tuesday night with my friends, drinking beers, analyzing every little thing, butterflies in my stomach."

It seems almost surreal. Everything combined, the historic nature of this election and its result, the fact that it's over after what felt like several centuries of campaigning, seeing people's reactions and overreactions, how inexplicably nervous I was during his speech. I talked to some black friends who said they nervous were as well, and realized how bizarre that is, for some of us to have that sinking feeling, like the trapdoor's about to swing open beneath us. And there's this lingering sense of animosity somehow in some eyes that have met mine this morning, and in others this unwarranted kinship... it's bizarre...

And now, I want to exhale, but I feel like I can't. I don't know exactly what I feel or how to turn it off.

But overall, it's pretty damn cool. I like to think this is what the 60's were sort of like...

I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered animosity.

*sigh*

I had hoped that because of this election, where we would either have our first African-American or a woman holding one of the two highest offices in the land that America would wake up this morning convinced that at last we could set aside the hatred and turmoil of both the civil rights and the feminist movement. This morning, I was treated to one of the most horrific diatribes about a President-elect--more discriminatory and hate-filled than I could ever have imagined. I'd hoped that it was a fluke and that I'd just had the grave misfortune to be trapped in the same room with the stupidest person in Ohio.

Lyra Jean
11-05-2008, 09:20 PM

Ah okay. Yeah then I retract my statement. The one I heard about supposedly happened in Sarasota. Either the classmate heard wrong or made it up.

writerterri
11-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Amen, Ferret. No matter the side, a politician won. We'll see how it went when we take the country's temperature again in four years.

Exacatacally

Pagey's_Girl
11-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered animosity.

*sigh*

I had hoped that because of this election, where we would either have our first African-American or a woman holding one of the two highest offices in the land that America would wake up this morning convinced that at last we could set aside the hatred and turmoil of both the civil rights and the feminist movement. This morning, I was treated to one of the most horrific diatribes about a President-elect--more discriminatory and hate-filled than I could ever have imagined. I'd hoped that it was a fluke and that I'd just had the grave misfortune to be trapped in the same room with the stupidest person in Ohio.

He should get together with the McCain loyalist in our office - maybe we can send them to an island or something.

Man, if only science could find a cure for stupid.

Jcomp
11-05-2008, 10:06 PM
One of the dudes in my office is hardcore Republican / pseudo-libertarian and he's been on the "Obama's a communist" kick for a while. He was actually playing the Soviet Union's national anthem on his radio early this morning when I came in.

Which only contributed to the surreality of it all for me.

He's harmless though. He's so over-the-top he's like a cartoon.

writerterri
11-05-2008, 10:09 PM
One of the dudes in my office is hardcore Republican / pseudo-libertarian and he's been on the "Obama's a communist" kick for a while. He was actually playing the Soviet Union's national anthem on his radio early this morning when I came in.

:roll:

SPMiller
11-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Just be glad you don't work in the defense industry.

Oh, the whining and moaning and complaining, and that doesn't even count all the bold-faced racism.

Pagey's_Girl
11-05-2008, 10:13 PM

Ours is on the "Obama's a Muslim/terrorist" kick. I think he's a little calmer now, though. He's actually talking to people again.

In four years, watch. He's going to be the biggest Obama supporter. I just have a feeling.... :D

shakeysix
11-05-2008, 10:36 PM
i remember the morning after kennedy was elected our protestant neighbor shouted at my dad "I hope you lousy catholics are happy now that the pope and the african- americans are taking over the country!" only she didn't say african americans. my dad just told us kids to ignore her because she was crazy. he told us it was because she had one brown eye and one blue eye and that proved it. dad wasn't always a clear thinker but he was a gentleman.

funny how losing a democratic election can make patriots and christians unforgiving and spiteful---s6

maestrowork
11-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm lucky that I'm surrounded by people who either share my political views or are open-minded to listen, discuss, or politely disagree. No radical or hateful stuff so far.

And I also want to congratulate Senator McCain again for running a tough campaign, for caring about and giving to this country we all love, for being a great statesman, and for his eloquent, graceful concession speech. He's earned my respect again after what seems to be a long, drawn-out, bitter few months. I'm hoping to see great things coming from him at the side of President Obama.

Just thank goodness we don't have the repeat of 2000 when all Hell broke loose.

mscelina
11-05-2008, 10:51 PM
*crosses fingers*

Amen, Ray. Amen. I was glad to see McCain didn't follow the sore loser trend of the last two elections.

Jcomp
11-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Well, he kind of didn't have a choice. He lost by 7 mill in the pop vote & the electoral college voting was a blowout.

And in 2004 Kerry conceded the race, so I don't really think that one qualifies in the "sore loser" category...

Pagey's_Girl
11-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Kudos for anyone who has the cojones to want to be President right now.

maestrowork
11-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I honestly didn't remember the last time we had such a turnout, and such enthusiasm (at least on Obama's side). I mean mega-rallies, 120,000 people at Grant Park... not even during Clinton's landslide victory in 1996, I don't think. Not to mention the global celebrations elsewhere in the world. This is truly exceptional. I'm still in awe.

SPMiller
11-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Just over 119 M voters with 97% in. Looks like it'll match 2004's turnout, numerically, but be proportionally smaller.

Pagey's_Girl
11-05-2008, 11:50 PM
I drive by several polling places on the way home from work and they were all gridlocked last night. Gridlocked. I'd hate to think what it would have been like if we'd waited until after I got home to try to go vote.

And, on a related note, John Hall, our wonderful congressional rep, was re-elected (rehired, as he put it) as well. So a great year all around!

ETA - Think everything's cool again back in the office. We actually had our McCain guy laughing. So that's good. He's not really a bad guy at all. Just a human like the rest of us. :)

Shadow_Ferret
11-06-2008, 01:27 AM
You know what?

We can still rock in America. Oh, yeah. So right!
We can still rock in America. Oh, yeah. All night!

Priene
11-06-2008, 01:29 AM
We can still rock in America. Oh, yeah. All night!

Are you allowed to rock while voting? Doesn't the plectrum get in the way of the ballot paper?

Jcomp
11-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Are you allowed to rock while voting? Doesn't the plectrum get in the way of the ballot paper?

Language people... language...

Pagey's_Girl
11-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Language people... language...

LOL!

It's British for "guitar pick."

Which still sounds naughty, come to think of it....

Shadow_Ferret
11-06-2008, 01:35 AM
STOP PICKING ON ME!

Jcomp
11-06-2008, 01:46 AM
LOL!

It's British for "guitar pick."

Which still sounds naughty, come to think of it....

So I could ask someone if they wanted to play with plectrum...

Nah, not dirty at all...

JoeEkaitis
11-06-2008, 03:39 AM
Pretty soon you people'll be exacerbatin' each other . . . if not yerselves!

Darzian
11-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Not to mention the global celebrations elsewhere in the world. This is truly exceptional. I'm still in awe.

I think it's because of Bush's negative effects on the entire world. His policies certainly harmed the former peace process in Sri Lanka. Everyone wants to see someone capable replace him. Expectations are really high.