Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
...came to me in the bathtub today.

It was so good I let out a loud moan, which may have startled the neighbors.

Good? It was incredible. I knew right away I'd have to halt my existing NaNo project(s) and start over with this idea instead.

And so, right after I got dried and sprinkled Johnson's Baby Powder where the sun don't shine and got dressed, I opened a new file.

And I couldn't remember a thing about The Best Story Idea In The World. Not a thing. Not the lead character. Not the setting. Not even the genre. Certainly not the plot. I just couldn't remember. I wasn't asleep in the bath, I wasn't dreaming, I had it all figured out, my fingers were twitching to get started.

This is a true story, and it's eating me up inside!

-Derek

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:

BTDT many times, Derek. It's the suxxor, fer shure. Keep plugging away. Good ideas are a dime a dozen, right?

Right?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear ghods, if I had a penny for every time that's happened to me, I'd have enough for a cuppa chai, at least.

Yeah, it's common. And it's frustrating. And the only thing I've figured out to do it to take a LOT of baths (or naps--happens to me during both times). Either that or to avoid baths (or sleep) so it doesn't happen again.

I've been totally torn which to do, honestly.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
add.jpg

Been there. BTW, TMI on the powder :D

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL::roll:
Sorry, just had to laugh! Not sure whether it's the middle bit of the tale, or the end. Or all of it.

Anyway, welcome to my world!;)

Elonna

I'm a dork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elonna.com
My suggestion is to work on your current NaNo. It will hopefully come back to you when you're not stressing about it so much.

Hint for next time: write it down before you do anything else, before the drying off and powder thingy.

:Hug2:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Keep a dollar store notebook and a pen with you at ALL times, ya hear? ;)

Flu

Registered
Reaction score
Hint for next time: write it down before you do anything else, before the drying off and powder thingy.

Well, maybe after drying off, but certainly before the powder thingy. It's hard for the brain to keep functioning normally during the powder thingy.

It's still in there somewhere though. It'll come back to you. Probably when it's again impossible to write it down immediately.

burgy61

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

Good? It was incredible. I knew right away I'd have to halt my existing NaNo project(s) and start over with this idea instead.

And so, right after I got dried and sprinkled Johnson's Baby Powder where the sun don't shine and got dressed, I opened a new file.

And I couldn't remember a thing about The Best Story Idea In The World. Not a thing. Not the lead character. Not the setting. Not even the genre. Certainly not the plot. I just couldn't remember. I wasn't asleep in the bath, I wasn't dreaming, I had it all figured out, my fingers were twitching to get started.

-Derek

I keep a digital recorder with me at all times just for those great ideas. Sometimes when I listen to them I change my mind about it being the greatest story in the world.

Derek! The same thing happened to me! It's the POWDER, man! We've got to stop using the powder!

I have to ask, what kind of powder are you using? :D

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I was emotionally scarred at you moaning in the bathtub.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I think this highlights the importance of keeping one's lipstick and eyeliner at hand at all times. Tiles are meant for writing on!

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Thanks all for your kind words, thoughts and pics. :)

How odd that some of you have also been in my bathtub! It's a small world.

Please note for the record that I only sprinkle the talc, I don't rub it in and then gently massage my oh-so-willing flesh until every forbidden nook and cranny is gleaming with a sheen of fine white powder whose scent, coupled with my natural manly odors, has been known to drive women into a state of frenzied, uncontrollable abandon, for which there is no known cure.

And I did my 2k NaNowords for today so I'm almost happy. But not as happy as I could have been. :cry:

-Derek

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
I am utterly disturbed. Both for you, and by you. Weird. :(

(lol. That really does suck though.)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's okay. Go to sleep tonight and you'll remember your brilliant idea. You'll dream of it in loving technicolor, so brilliant it makes you thrash about and sweat beneathe the covers. Fingers gripping the the mattress, you'll come to awareness with a startled gasp--and you won't remember a damn thing. Again.

Go write another 2K. Rinse. Repeat.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Thanks again for the kind thoughts.

I'm sorry to say I woke up this morning with nothing in my head except rocks!

But y'all have given me some fine suggestions. I'll never climb into the bathtub against without some serious equipment to hand.

Onward! Go NaNo!

-Derek

h4tch

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I start a new project I can guarantee that 'inspiration' will strike within days, providing me with the greatest idea for a story since JK Rowling came up with the bible. It will eat away at me for days until, inevitably, I drop my current project and start on the new, better one, only for the cycle to repeat itself within a week. I have since decided that it is not inspiration hitting me in the middle of the night, but literary Gremlins determined to derail my work. So dont be upset with yourself for forgetting the idea, be relieved, for you have had a lucky escape.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score

-Derek

that same story got in my head not long ago. Do you think it's just out there in the ether hopping from writer to writer trying to find the right person to put the words down? If you can't remember it then it goes on to the next writer that may be able to write it until it finally finds someone it can sink intom that remembers it long enough to put it to paper.

hey - that's not a bad short story idea either. I think I'll write that one.