What are we writing about?

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I wanted to get a feel for what everyone is working on. I'm still plugging away at my novel, which is influenced by early South American pagan god thinking. But I've also been exploring the ideas of the cycle of rebirth, the gods of the elements, and a few others, through poetry.

What have you been writing? And why?

Let's try to get our little Pagan forum going strong :)

~Sara

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I find a incorporate religious practices and beliefs into my works of fiction as those little details that, hopefully, make all the difference. But I cannot say that what I write is heavily influenced by one religious practice or the other or that any work is predominantly about any belief system.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I certainly integrate religious and spiritual elements in my WIPs, how eastern and western cultures and beliefs clash with each other. While my story is not really about religion or spirituality, it's an important aspect. For example, during a couple scenes, the plot deals with the concept of reincarnation.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I haven't been writing my pagan non-fiction newsletter fillers for a whil;e--probably time I got back in touch with that editor.

It does relate to my current novella which although primarily erotic romance is about a relationship between a catholic and a pagan.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
While I don't write anything that people would consider "pagan literature", I definitely find the fact that I'm pagan influencing my fiction. I always have at least one character who seems to scream at me, "I'm pagan too, damn it!"

My YA novel is actually about three families of witches, but I don't go into much detail on the spiritual aspect of it, it's more the practical aspects of magick. I'm working on the second book in the series right now.

I'm also working on a book of Scottish folktales for children, which I'm dabbling with in my spare time, and certainly has pagan influences in it simply because of the turbulent religious history of the country. I've wanted to do this for a while -- my family is Scottish -- and it seemed like the time is finally right to spend some time researching and writing it.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also working on a book of Scottish folktales for children, which I'm dabbling with in my spare time, and certainly has pagan influences in it simply because of the turbulent religious history of the country. I've wanted to do this for a while -- my family is Scottish -- and it seemed like the time is finally right to spend some time researching and writing it.
That sounds so interesting! Have you found some good ones? After reading a few of Frank McCourt's books, I looked into some Irish folklore. I found it fascinating!

It does relate to my current novella which although primarily erotic romance is about a relationship between a catholic and a pagan.
Is this a point of contention for them?

I find a incorporate religious practices and beliefs into my works of fiction as those little details that, hopefully, make all the difference.
IMO, this is something that can make your world seem real. Religion doesn't have to be the focal point, but it's the small details that matter. Everyone on some level is conscious of spirituality. (Ray, this is something you and I were talking about the other day, huh?) Putting bits and pieces of it into your writing gives nice depth to the characters and can add motivation without having to say a lot.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Re: Scottish folktales

Saritams8 said:
That sounds so interesting! Have you found some good ones? After reading a few of Frank McCourt's books, I looked into some Irish folklore. I found it fascinating!

I've got a few volumes of folktales from the Western Highlands, which is the area my family is from, so that's where I've been focusing on so far. It's really fascinating reading, and my biggest problem is finding a way to retell them in a way that's suitable for really young kids. It's kind of a "work on it for a while, then do something else" sort of project. I'm hoping to really dive into it by the end of the summer.

copperbeech

i can't focus on any one thing yet. i have about 7 projects going on for manuscript-length works, and at least an essay contribution to an anthology that has to be done by the end of the month. everything i'm working on are all radical explorations of shamanic work, so i'm finding them difficult to tie together. i feel like part of that is coming off of my first book coming out at the end of last year, and only being in the early stages of emerging from that post-partem. but it feels like the right place and space, so i'm just moving with it.

hope you are all well!

Lucky Penny

Been gone WAY too long!
Registered
Reaction score
I started working on a short story about reincarnation/soulmate circles a while ago, but got distracted and haven't gone back to it yet. I want to, but it's frustrating me.

Lucky Penny

Been gone WAY too long!
Registered
Reaction score
oh, wow...thank you for sending me to your poem!! It sincerely gave me goosebumps!

In my story I've gotten several of the lives 'pinpointed,' but the other lives that I planned on using just aren't coming out right. I figured I just needed to think about it all a little more.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it :) I'm still fiddling with it, but it's getting close. I've been playing with the themes in the poem as ideas for short stories or a novel. We'll see.

Think about it before you go to sleep, that always helps me work out an idea.

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
There's this one serial I'm working that deals with several religions, especially pagan. The short summary of it is the main character had been possessed by a demon, developed multiple personality disorder (though it turned out to be a blessing) and beat the demon, absorbing some of it's powers in the process. For the entire serial, she encounters many religious leaders, where she is either protecting them from harm and/or is being pestered by them to be cleansed/exorcisized/treated for her 'well' being. It is the Wiccan priestess who actually helps her the most with her spiritual problems and her hatred for the Satanic cult's leader that had done this to her.

It's sort of my satire on Religion.