PDA

View Full Version : Why we should vote

David Conner
11-04-2008, 04:37 AM
Tomorrow is election day. I'm going to vote. Absolutely. I have no idea how much suffering and sacrifice has been laid on the alter of freedom so that I can cast that ballot and I don't care how numerically insignificant this one voice among millions may seem. That is not the point. The point is that the road to the polling booth is paved with American lives, and limbs and spirits. We cannot pay them what their contribution is worth. We cannot even calculate it. But we can vote. We can honor them with that. If you cannot muster the entheusiasm to vote for a candidate, cast your ballot for the American soldiers---they have cast their bones for you.

Mr Flibble
11-04-2008, 04:40 AM
There is only one problem with voting

you get a politician

writerterri
11-04-2008, 04:48 AM
When I re-registered in California from Nevada it was in a different city than I live now. Anyone know, do I have to go back to that city and vote or can I do it anywhere in California?

Jersey Chick
11-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/

Should (hoepfully) answer your questions. I know in NJ, as long as you haven't moved to a new county, you're good to go. Dunno about California, though.

Carole
11-04-2008, 06:58 AM
I'm voting tomorrow! And I'll be thrilled to finally stop getting chain emails about the candidates, too.

Shadow_Ferret
11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I hate lines. There were people already lined up an hour before the polls opened.

I think I'll sit this one out.

Pagey's_Girl
11-04-2008, 05:22 PM
My mom and I went first thing this morning before I left for work, since our polling place is only about a mile away. I was the seventeenth voter this AM. :D (Which is impressive considering I live in a flyspeck of a town and the polling place had been open maybe ten minutes when we got there.)

I'm glad to see such a turnout - yes, it is that important. And even though the people at work are making me slightly nuts arguing politics - it's not my thing at all - I'm glad to see so much interest and concern and passion - yes, passion. Now if we can use some of that energy to bring this country together again instead of dividing it even more than it already is...

Sorry...*steps off soapbox.* Okay, yeah. I'm kind of a hippychick. :)

astonwest
11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm voting tomorrow! And I'll be thrilled to finally stop getting chain emails about the candidates, too.

That's funny...you think those will stop after the election? :)

mscelina
11-04-2008, 06:11 PM
good Lord, no! After the election is over, the bitching about the winner will begin and continue unabated for four long, miserable years.

Shadow_Ferret
11-04-2008, 06:16 PM
the bitching about the winer will begin and continue unabated for four long, miserable years.
You know what? I can't help it that I like wine, but it does sort of bother me that people bitch about it.

And that's wino, not winer.

Sheesh. People.

Pagey's_Girl
11-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Why we vote on a Tuesday in November (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl126#full)

I thought this was kind of interesting. :)

mscelina
11-04-2008, 07:18 PM
aw, poot. a typo.

Shadow_Ferret
11-04-2008, 07:22 PM
aw, poot. a typo.
And I caught it for all posterity. :D

mscelina
11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
My reputation has been tarnished, sir.

You will hear from my seconds...

Vincent