PDA

View Full Version : who's ringing the doorbell?

Mela
11-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Although Halloween's history, I'd like to report an odd incident:

Our back doorbell rings unexplainably. And I'm the only one hearing it.

For the past few weeks, I've heard it in the middle of the night three or four times. Now my husband, who's sometimes up at odd hours and smokes on the back porch, swears it's not him, as in accidentally leaning or pushing in the doorbell ... and it would be difficult for him to do that, since the bell's at the front of the door frame and he usually doesn't need to put his hand on the frame for support to walk up the one step back into the kitchen. And he wouldn't be leaning on it either while he smokes.

Saturday I heard it during the day - my husband was on the porch but swears he didn't touch the bell. I can usually tell when he's fooling with me and he seemed to be telling the truth. And he said he didn't hear the bell either.

This happened a few times last year, too. So you'd think if my husband were doing it, it wouldn't have occurred a few times last year, stopped for months, and then started up again - it would be pretty consistent, right? (because he's always smoking on the porch).

Hmmm. Anybody ever have anything unexplainable happen?

writerterri
11-04-2008, 12:22 AM
My son's cell phone sent me a message in the middle of the night a couple of days ago. He was asleep and his phone was off. It did it again in the morning. The message said nothing. Same with the one in the morning. It creeped me out.

Doorbells ringing on their own. Could be explained by a short in the wiring or invisible hands but only if you believe.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_221.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZJxdm028YYUS)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZJxdm028YYUS (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb112_ZJxdm028YYUS&utm_id=7920)

Mela
11-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Doorbells ringing on their own. Could be explained by a short in the wiring or invisible hands but only if you believe.

Last year I thought it was a short - but why would it stop for such a long time and start up again?
And also: I don't think I'm dreaming about a doorbell ringing. I'm the kind of person who wakes up when anything is out of the norm. Light sleeper.

JoNightshade
11-04-2008, 01:00 AM
::Scratches head::

Why do you have a doorbell on your BACK door?

Shadow_Ferret
11-04-2008, 01:03 AM

Both our doors have a doorbell. Why wouldn't it?

JoNightshade
11-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Cuz... nobody comes to your back door?

JLCwrites
11-04-2008, 01:11 AM

Why do you have a doorbell on your BACK door? I was wondering the same thing. Is it for special deliveries?

Shadow_Ferret
11-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Cuz... nobody comes to your back door?
Sure they do. People who come from the alley.

Mela
11-04-2008, 01:59 AM

I don't know - I thought everyone did. The back doorbell chimes once; the front chimes a few times.

Yeshanu
11-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Last year I thought it was a short - but why would it stop for such a long time and start up again?

No real answer to that, but we have a car window that will occasionally go down and refuse to go up again for a couple of days, probably due to something in the wiring. (It's a power window, of course.) It's happened twice, each situation two years apart.

Could be moisture situations are similar when the doorbell shorts out, or something like that.

Or you could have ghosts... ;)

writerterri
11-04-2008, 02:25 AM
And also: I don't think I'm dreaming about a doorbell ringing. I'm the kind of person who wakes up when anything is out of the norm. Light sleeper.

Moisture?

I once heard my husband cough like he was in the same room and when I looked up expecting to see him walk through the front door, home from work, he wasn't there at all. No one was there. I looked to see if his car was in the drive and it wasn't. Also in our old apartment our front door was unlocking after locking it and checking it. It was happening to both of us but at different times. The manager was the only one with the extra key and you have to have a work order to have the maintenence guy have it. Who or what was unlocking our door?

I say it's spirits but some don't believe they are actually here on eath with us.

Susie
11-04-2008, 02:33 AM
That is strange, Mela. Could be a short. Today, howie went out to get some lemons from our lemon tree and he was pretty far away and I swore he said my name, but his back was turned. That happened to me once before when I was sleeping. Woke me up and it wasn't him. Odd, huh.

CACTUSWENDY
11-04-2008, 03:05 AM
Mela, he is screwing with you.....lol

And it appears he is doing a fine job of it too.

Silver King
11-04-2008, 06:10 AM
If you have a wireless doorbell, one of your neighbors living close by could have the same model and is using a similar wave frequency. When someone rings their home, your chimes are being set off.

A couple of years ago, one of my neighbors had that problem, and she went to each house in the area until she found the culprit, which turned out to be my doorbell. Each time someone rang my house, her chimes were set off. Strangely, it didn't happen the other way around, so I had no idea there was a problem. I told her I could reset the frequency on my doorbell, but she insisted on buying a different model instead, and I never heard from her again.

Susie
11-04-2008, 06:26 AM
You can ring my chimes, anytime, my Kingeth. 'nuff said. :D

Silver King
11-04-2008, 06:31 AM
You can ring my chimes, anytime, my Kingeth. 'nuff said. :D
Ding dong! :)

C.bronco
11-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Mela,
The aliens who had previously abducted SilverKing are now despondent and lonely. They are playing with your doorbell in hope of rekindling the free-spirited delight they enjoyed in SK's presence.

It happens all the time.
:)

benbradley
11-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I wasn't going to say anything, I know some people enjoy believing in supernatural events, so I was just going to "Let The Mystery Be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMkD_qrItsA)", but since others have, ahem, chimed in...

I recently heard the most recent "This American Life (http://www.thisamericanlife.org/)" ("And the call came from the basement") where such things were described - it seems that many "haunted houses" have had carbon momoxide poisoning, and the people living there not only got headaches and other problems associated with it, but they also hallucinated various things. When the problem was discovered and fixed, all the headaches and ghosts went away.

As others were alluding to, the switch or wiring could be activated changes in moisture/humidity, temperature, or insects eating through the insulation and such.

Sure they do. People who come from the alley.

I don't know - I thought everyone did. The back doorbell chimes once; the front chimes a few times.
I suppose that's true for some houses where strangers (or neighbors) can legitimately approach the house from the front or the back, but most houses I've been familar with have only had a front doorbell, but I vaguely recall a second doorbell at a side or garage entrance into a house.

If you have a wireless doorbell, one of your neighbors living close by could have the same model and is using a similar wave frequency. When someone rings their home, your chimes are being set off.

A couple of years ago, one of my neighbors had that problem, and she went to each house in the area until she found the culprit, which turned out to be my doorbell. Each time someone rang my house, her chimes were set off. Strangely, it didn't happen the other way around, so I had no idea there was a problem. I told her I could reset the frequency on my doorbell, but she insisted on buying a different model instead, and I never heard from her again.
The other day in a supermarket parking lot I saw the trunk pop open on an unattended car - this was just after I pressed the "unlock door" remote on my car key. I'm surprised my door and their trunk had the same code.

Mela
11-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Mela, he is screwing with you.....lol

And it appears he is doing a fine job of it too.

I said the other morning he was doing a Gaslight number on me.
In case you don't know: Gaslight, with Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman: she notices the gaslights dimming every night in the attic - he's doing it but he denies it - he's trying to prove her insane.

Mela
11-04-2008, 06:05 PM

OK, but ... nobody's ringing their doorbell in the middle of the night - at least, I'm pretty sure they're not.

Mela
11-04-2008, 06:16 PM
well, short of ghosts, I guess the doorbell's just a little quirky - like the home's owner!
Thanks you all -
and for those with no back doorbells: we have an enclosed back porch right next to the driveway - I guess because it is technically another entrance into the house a doorbell was installed there.

Shadow_Ferret
11-04-2008, 07:13 PM
*runs up, rings Mela's doorbell, then runs off*

Bwhahahaha! Fast as fast can be, she'll never suspect me.

Mela
11-04-2008, 07:40 PM
I saw you - it was the tail whipping around the corner.
Wait.
Do ferrets have tails?

Priene
11-04-2008, 07:57 PM
An insomniac playing knocky nine-door (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ding_Dong_Ditch)?

Williebee
11-04-2008, 08:10 PM
I've seen doorbells that were rung because of bad power transformers in the doorbell, and from wiring shorts, (shorts in the wiring, not electrifying some poor guys fruit of the looms, not that that wouldn't ring some folk's bells...)

There's a house outside of town. The folks who live there winter in Florida. A friend of mine watches the place. Some days he'd go buy the house and the TV would be on, usually ESPN or MTV. He thought kids were breaking in. Turns out the folks in the house across the street got a new flatscreen, with a REALLY powerful remote control.

I'm more concerned by something else you said, Mela. No one else is hearing it but you?

Mela
11-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm more concerned by something else you said, Mela. No one else is hearing it but you?

Yes, that's right. Husband doesn't hear it. Or at least he says he doesn't.
Hence, my theory on the Gaslight routine. He's trying to prove me insane, stash me away and run off with my loot.