PDA

View Full Version : Prayers needed please.

tlblack
11-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Since January, we have been awaiting the arrival of my Grandson. On October 23rd, we all loaded up in our vehicles and headed for the hospital, and he was delivered by C-section. Both baby and his new Mom did great! He was also born on my oldest nephews birthday and has part of his name.

Thursday morning, I get awakened by my Dad, who was already at work, telling me he wasn't feeling well. I grabbed some things like his BP cuff, his meds, jumped in my clothes, and away I went. He's been on BP meds for years as well as one for irregular heartbeat. When I get to him, I see that he is in need of more than a BP cuff and a bag of meds, so I dialed 911. EMT's arrived within five minutes and took him to the hospital. He was having atrial fibrilation, for which he already takes a medication. After a night in ICU, and an arm full of IV drugs, his heart rate returned to normal and he was released home on Saturday, as well as my DIL and new baby, and he scheduled for a stress test on Monday. All week long he took it easy, stayed off work and was beginning to feel better. He was also taking a new medication for the A-fib and thinking everything was fine.

This Friday, Dad woke up at 2AM with numbness down his left side. Another ambulance ride to the hospital and a whole lot of tests later, they decide he had a mini stroke. The doctors, a cardiologist and a neurologist determined from the tests as well as the stress test he had on Monday that he needed an arteriogram in order to see what blockages he has in his heart. That is scheduled for tomorrow morning and then they will either put stints in or schedule him for heart surgery.

I am a nervous wreck as my Mom died in '04 from complications after having stints, only five days afterwards. They called it cardiogenic shock. I know that with my Mother being frail and already having more than one incurable disease, that those played a role with her not recovering. I also know that it is possible that could happen regardless of any other problems.

I've been caught between spending time with my Grandson and helping my kids with him so they can get a few hours of sleep, and running back and forth to the hospital to make sure my Dad is getting the care he needs as well as keeping up with what the doctors are doing. I will be leaving here early to get to the hospital before they take him down to the cath lab, and will be on pins and needles until I see him returned to his room, so I am just posting and running.

Please add him to your prayers tonight. I have to get to bed so I can get up in the morning, but I know that prayers will help.

polarqueen
11-03-2008, 08:21 AM
He will be in my prayers. I hope that everything turns out alright, and you are a strong person to be able to juggle all of that.

wyntermoon
11-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Congratulations on your new grandbaby and good thoughts for your dad! Now, be sure to get some rest yourself! :)

Darzian
11-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Congratulations on the new child, and good luck for your father.

I have a teensy doubt- you say your grandchild and then your father. SO, your father is the great-grandfather of your grandchild? And he's going to work?

Keep us updated.

Jersey Chick
11-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Hugs, thoughts and prayer.... all good vibes heading your way.

cjharley
11-03-2008, 09:53 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Susie
11-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Teresa prayers are with you and your family & ((((((((HUGS)))))). Hope he will recover quickly.

Yeshanu
11-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Hugs and prayers, Teresa.

Darzian, I had the same thoughts at first, but then I realized that though I don't yet have a grandchild, my kids are old enough to give me one, should they have that inclination, and my parents have both kept working past retirement because a) they need the income and b) they like the work. And they're in their seventies.

Anyhow, we're with you. Take care of yourself through all this. :Hug2:

tlblack
11-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I'll be heading to the hospital shortly but wanted to stop by and say thank you. And yes, my Dad is my Grandchild's Great Grandfather and he still works part-time. My Grandfather is still living too, and never stays home. Five generations are rare. 87, 67, 47, 23 and 11 days. Thank you all again.

regdog
11-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Hugs, Prayers and Best Wishes :Hug2:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Lightin' candles as fast as I can for all of you! There's nothin' like being in the middle of the 'Sandwich Generation', eh?

Kitrianna
11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

A quick story to give you some hope though...

Two years ago, my mother in-laws mom (who is in her 80's and very frail) was diagnosed with an aortic anuerism (forgive my spelling, I can't think today). We were told that she would have to have surgery, but the odds of her surviving were less than 2%. Without the surgery, the odds were 0. So Grandma had her surgery and we all held our breath and prayed. Today, she is better than ever and you would never be able to tell. Just don't ask her how she's doing today...:D (unless you want to hear about her body functions...if ya know what I mean).

Darzian
11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

A quick story to give you some hope though...

Two years ago, my mother in-laws mom (who is in her 80's and very frail) was diagnosed with an aortic anuerism (forgive my spelling, I can't think today). We were told that she would have to have surgery, but the odds of her surviving were less than 2%. Without the surgery, the odds were 0. So Grandma had her surgery and we all held our breath and prayed. Today, she is better than ever and you would never be able to tell. Just don't ask her how she's doing today...:D (unless you want to hear about her body functions...if ya know what I mean).

This is really amazing.

Darzian, I had the same thoughts at first, but then I realized that though I don't yet have a grandchild, my kids are old enough to give me one, should they have that inclination, and my parents have both kept working past retirement because a) they need the income and b) they like the work. And they're in their seventies.

Ya, it's just people tend to have kids later on these days so I just wondered.

tlblack
11-04-2008, 01:04 AM
After a long day at the hospital, Dad is doing fine, no blockages large enough to warrant stints or surgery. His cardiologist seems to think it is all manageable with medications, but that also means putting him on a blood thinner. Talk about relieved. I want to thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and concerns.

OFG, I know what you mean. I'm not just in the middle, but I'm the only girl, lol.

Yeshanu
11-04-2008, 01:54 AM
OFG, I know what you mean. I'm not just in the middle, but I'm the only girl, lol.

Poor you. :Hug2:

Glad to know things are a bit better today, Teresa.

roncouch
11-04-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm happy for the outcome. Older people are pretty tough. :)

tlblack
11-04-2008, 03:12 AM
I know my Dad is very tough Ron. He has survived more than a lot of people would have been able to, and this for me was very stressful, especially having lost my Mom only four years ago.

In '75, while he was driving his big rig in Louisiana fog, he blew a front tire and flipped the truck and trailer. He was carrying a huge piece of moving equipment to a museum. It was over length, permitted and very close to being overweight. That accident left him caught between the dog house and the roof of the truck and he had to be cut out, and life flighted to a hospital in New Orleans. He had many injuries including a crushed lower right jaw, and had to have a skin graft on his right forearm.

In '84, he loaded at US Steele, 4" galvanized steel pipe. After returning to his terminal in Birmingham, the weight on the trailer was offset. Too much over one axle, not enough on another. The forklift driver either didn't know my Dad was alongside the trailer or thought he could move the pipe without taking the necessary safety precautions, but the forks weren't tilted enough, the pipe rolled off the tines and hit my Dad. The whole right side of his body was a mess, and included a skull fracture, as well as many other injuries. It took him four years to recover from it.

I know that my father is a strong man. He has survived more in life than a lot of people I know. Over the years, it's all taken its toll on him and so this episode with his heart really worried me. The next couple of days he will be having to adjust to new medications and a blood thinner, so he has to stay in the hospital. To say that I am somewhat relieved is an understatement and I appreciate all of you.