The Gym/Exercise & Writing

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be really blocked as a writer. The words just didn't flow My shiatsu guy said the same thing: my energy was getting stuck, my blood wasn't flowing. He said I should get more exercise.

I like the gym. The hardest part for me is finding the energy and the time to go there. Changing my clothes, getting all sweaty. I have some classes I like. Weight training is always fun. Spinning is great to work out aggression. Yoga is relaxing and makes me feel flexible.

The last few weeks I've been going to the gym about 4 or 5 days a week. The more often I go the more I feel like I want to go the next day. If I miss a day or two days my body starts craving the gym. I'm okay with this. I feel more flexible and stronger. I walk faster. My pants fit better. I buy smaller pants.

But the best part: I'm writing more. When I'm at the gym I start craving writing. I feel strong. I feel like I can do it. I feel like I have the stamina to keep working through this novel page by page.

Does anyone else find a connection between exercise and writing? Do you write more when your body is working more? Some people think I'm crazy to credit my high output lately to my gym addiction. Maybe they're not related at all, but I don't want to ruin my good gym habit of late. But they both seem to enhance one another. The more I go to the gym, the more I write. The more I write, the happier I am. The happier I am, the more I want to maintain this, and the more I go to the gym. Am I the only one?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A positive attitude and a feeling of invigoration will send tentacles into all areas of one's life. Increased productivity in any number of personal activities may well result.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I must admit, on the rare occasions when I'm disciplined enough to get into an exercise routine, I feel good about everything. I write more often and better (or it seems that way), I do more housework, I'm more confident with other people; everything is just easier and better.

Now, I think I've just convinced myself to take up exercising again.