? re soy milk

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My family comes to my house for Thanksgiving. My nephew's wife is lactose intolerant. Can I use soy milk in the mashed potatoes? I can get around the butter with margarine, and I get C**l Whip for her to use on pie, but I don't want to make two batches of potatoes. Most of our family drowns the potatoes in gravy, but one eats them plain. And I don't want her to think they taste funny. As you can tell, I have no experience with soy milk.

MM

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Mary, I'm borderline lactose intolerant, but I use soy milk for everything just because I think it's yummy! But not everyone likes it. My husband only drinks rice milk. If I were you, I'd ask your nephew's wife what she prefers. There is lactose-free cow's milk that I used to drink, and I couldn't tell the difference.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I wouldn't recommend it. The soy milk I see most often in stores (like Silk brand) has sugar added. Not the sort of thing that I'd want in my mashed potatoes. Maybe shop around for a soy milk that contains no sugar? Or use Lactaid, which is cow's milk but is lactose-free (I'd recommend using this).

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
My family comes to my house for Thanksgiving. My nephew's wife is lactose intolerant. Can I use soy milk in the mashed potatoes? I can get around the butter with margarine, and I get C**l Whip for her to use on pie, but I don't want to make two batches of potatoes. Most of our family drowns the potatoes in gravy, but one eats them plain. And I don't want her to think they taste funny. As you can tell, I have no experience with soy milk.

MM

Can you substitute mashed for scalloped? No, that requires cheese doesn't it???? Hmmmm....maybe you could ask her, which she can eat.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
There are a lot of nondairy products made from rice, and none contain sugar, unless you choose a sweetened product like vanilla (rice dream ice cream is amazing). Rice products are really quite good, especially the cream cheese and sour cream. I was on a cleansing diet once and lived on the stuff. Quite tasty. And it's much lower in fat, too.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
What I'd do is cook the potatoes with about 5 or 6 cloves of chopped garlic in the salted water, then when done, drain and add margarine and some hot chicken stock and mash as usual. They will be really flavourful and I doubt anyone would know that you didn't use milk.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies. I think I am going to combine advice. I will get a carton of lactaid milk (it should taste most like 'real' milk), and also have chicken stock standing by. That way I can do whichever she would prefer. I only started making mashed potatoes when the neices and nephews were little because they didn't like stuffing. Now I can't get away without making them.

MM
planning my 36th Thanksgiving for the relatives

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
The best way, I think, to make mashed potatoes is with chicken broth instead of the milk. It's very tasty. I prefer it to mashed potatoes made with milk, myself.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I wouldn't use soy milk - the sweetened would likely be too sweet, and the unsweetened is just too gross (IMO), and soy can have a noticeable flavour. Rice milk, though, is much more neutral in terms of flavour, so that I would consider using. But the idea of using chicken broth sounds good. :)

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I love soy milk and drink the unsweetened variety, but I have tried it in mashed potatoes and it really didn't work - tasted sort of chalky. One suggestion I have comes directly from a Shepherd's Pie recipe from The Joy of Cooking. The recipe calls for saving 1/2 cup of liquid in which the potatoes were boiled and adding that to the mashed potatoes. I mixed in salt, pepper and garlic and the result was quite tasty. I thought adding the liquid would make the whole thing sort of bland, but it turned out to be in essence, mashed potatoes mixed with potato broth.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
I third the broth suggestion. Make a big batch with the broth, then add powdered milk to the gravy.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a touch of lactose intolernace, but I use skim milk for those kinds of things. Soy or rice just don't seen like they'll do the job with mashed potatoes.

Another option - I've seen mayo added to mashed potatoes. It's tangy and creamy, but not made from dairy.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a vegetarian. I don't think I would cook mashed potatoes with soy milk though. It is way too thin. Possibly soy coffee creamer-- it has more body and is made not to separate in heat.

Last edited:

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
If you can use lactose free milk do so. No taste/texture difference and it actually keeps in the fridge longer than the 3% reg. milk. Many people don't like soy milk or rice milk. Even cooking with it gives a change in taste.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the additional info. I'll post after turkey day and let you know which way I went, and how they came out.

MM