Are your characters misbehaving already?

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so yesterday I wrote chapter 1 which came to 2,507 words and I was happy with the result. Then I realised my "hinted at only" adult content had gone a bit wild, in fact my MC is misbehaving BIG TIME despite it being the first chapter and if it gets any raunchier, I'll have to re-categorise it as erotica.
Now where did THAT come from????? :scared:
Have any of your characters already taken on personalities that you didn't plan?

cklayne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
whimzy81.googlepages.com
Oh yes. My MC's mother had an unplanned stroke. Completely out of left field. And my MC is far too interested in the one guy in the story that she is NOT supposed to have any romantic feelings for whatsoever... It's turning into a circus and I only have 15 pages down lol.

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
Have any of your characters already taken on personalities that you didn't plan?

Heavens, yes!! I hate it when you've got a great story arc planned and a character trashes it. Had a bad guy once who kept telling me he wanted to be a good guy instead. I had to turn him into the romantic foil and then write him his own book after that. I was really mad at him for a while. ;)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, but I've had one refuse to show up. And that's okay. I probably don't need her anyway.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my MCs were supposed to be having an argument right now, but they don't seem to be in the mood...

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I had a drunk teenager get his pants pulled off in the back of a car by two shirtless girls, but they didn't "do" anything. I'm trying to keep the book borderline PG--

polarqueen

Elementary, my dear sir!
Registered
Reaction score
Some hot guy in a three piece suit just showed up in a taxi. Of course, I don't blame him. I only had one character before he arrived!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Um, yeah. See my first three lines in the "first three lines" thread. Believe me, it wasn't planned, and it's getting sillier by the moment. :D

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Well my MC just hauled off and threw a rock at her ex-boyfriend's head, drawing blood. What the hell?! Her temper is a bit worse than I had imagined.

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
I just wrote a scene about my hero-turned-anti-hero that was set in the past, back when he was supposed to believe in the cause and be hopeful about the future. Turns out, here's more of the pessimistic paranoid type who has an almost stalkerish obsession for his girlfriend. Um, what? Did you just say you'd sacrifice the universe's safety for hers? No, no, this is not part of the plan.

I can't have him obsessed with her, because he's too selfish! Help!

-Feathers

Last edited:

Pila

Registered
Reaction score
Website
x--shameless.livejournal.com
Mhmmm, my male MC, the love of my femal MC's life, suddenly turned into a huge a-hole and is blaming her for them getting captured. Sad thing, I'm going to run with this turn of events, which is going to make my story much darker, which is great because I'm a sadist, but dang is my female MC's life going to suck.

Rose English

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My characters are beginning to run away from me; don't they know I spent ages on this outline? Do I try to drag them back in line or let them do what they want I wonder?

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so yesterday I wrote chapter 1 which came to 2,507 words and I was happy with the result. Then I realised my "hinted at only" adult content had gone a bit wild, in fact my MC is misbehaving BIG TIME despite it being the first chapter and if it gets any raunchier, I'll have to re-categorise it as erotica.
Now where did THAT come from????? :scared:

I'll trade you that character for the wimp that has intruded on my story. I don't know where he came from either.:Shrug:

AmandaAcidic

Good morning beautiful!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amandalynb.blogspot.com
Oh yes. I wanted my MC to be a tentative, quiet, and even tempered girl. Which isn't what I'm used to writing but thought it would fit in this story quite well.

And she keeps getting angry, speaking her mind, and yelling at people.

Crap.

becky_smiles

Registered
Reaction score
I somehow read this as "Are your characters shaving already?", and thought you were questioning whether they had hit puberty or not.

Anyway, my main character has decided to murder my favorite character.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Mine are naked in a hot tub right now- that wasn't supposed to happen, but they aren't complaining.

DisenchantedDoc

Give me believable dialogue
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, my female MC just plunged a dagger into someone's heart -- literally

So much for her being an innocent sweetheart (not that she ever was to begin with)

Flu

Registered
Reaction score
So far my characters are pretty much acting the way they're supposed to - if a bit too talkative, but under the circumstances that's not a bad thing.

The scene in which my male MC first lays eyes on the girl he'll fall for, though, ended up as a "let's go watch the women's field hockey team practice in the rain" scene rather than the more cliché library or restaurant scene I had originally planned. Not certain yet whether that's a good or a bad change.

AmandaAcidic

Good morning beautiful!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amandalynb.blogspot.com
The scene in which my male MC first lays eyes on the girl he'll fall for, though, ended up as a "let's go watch the women's field hockey team practice in the rain" scene rather than the more cliché library or restaurant scene I had originally planned. Not certain yet whether that's a good or a bad change.

My sister pointed out to me that how my MC meets the guy she falls for is like the movie Made of Honor (he stumbles into her dorm room, drunk after a welcome back party. She forgot to lock the room and wakes up with him in the other bed that is waiting for a roommate.) I almost cried.

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
Amanda, oh yeah, I hate that. Doesn't happen to me much, but when it does...*weeps*

Okay. So my main character just punched a security guard when he was being released. I knew he had anger problems, but wow...I think he may have a little masochist thing going on.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...if by misbehaving you mean going from a side/minor character to dominating the story and insisting on being the MC- yup!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
The character I expected to be paranoid is turning out a lot more paranoid than I expected, but that's all right. It'll be a lot more fun when he finally flips out. :D

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I'll trade you that character for the wimp that has intruded on my story. I don't know where he came from either.:Shrug:

I have a wimp already thanks - the MC's husband. (Not the one she is getting hot with)

BBShopMom

Registered
Reaction score
My MC is turning into a totally boring and uninteresting individual. Think it's time to throw something at her to wake her up a bit.