Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.G. Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me, but when I start to go to bed, that's when my mind starts racing and I can't seem to fall asleep. Then, once I do, I barely (if at all) get in 8 hours. Does anyone have any treatments/tips? Are there any non-addictive (and side effect free) sleeping pills or herbs? Teas? Anything?

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I just gave it up as a lost cause, Egg. The good news is that the resulting delusions from sleep-deprivation make for some cool story ideas.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Have you tried a vial of sheep blood (you can get them at Baaaa-Mart), mixed with three spider legs and a toad eye, and a dash of unicorn dandruff?

book_maven

Reader Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
E.G., try this. When you turn out the light, get in your favorite "fall asleep" position. Close your eyes and begin to repeat a short affirmation at least six times. Concentrate on it. If your attention wanders, bring it back. It should be something simple and direct such as "I sleep deeply and soundly." (I personally use the ungrammatical phrase "I sleep deeply and longly" because I want my sleep to be both long and sound.) Do this every night.

You are re-doing those patterns of thinking that youve ingrained into your brain and your body, the ones that say you don't sleep well. To change any long-term pattern of thinking like that, you need to do it consistently. Try it for at least six weeks, though I plan to continue for the rest of my life.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I did try to count sheep, but after the first four made it over the stile, the fifth one tripped, the rest piled up on top of it - and what with all the bleating and baaing; the sheepdogs barking and the farmer shouting, I was forced to get out of bed and go have a fag to get away from the racket.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
arrowqueen said:
I did try to count sheep, but after the first four made it over the stile, the fifth one tripped, the rest piled up on top of it - and what with all the bleating and baaing; the sheepdogs barking and the farmer shouting, I was forced to get out of bed and go have a fag to get away from the racket.

That's why sheep blood works. See, blood. No sheep. No stinking sheep dung either.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, I was gonna blame it on menopause, E. G., but since you're a guy...

E.G. Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
Could it be stress, too? I seem to be under a lot lately.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Have you tried a vial of sheep blood (you can get them at Baaaa-Mart), mixed with three spider legs and a toad eye, and a dash of unicorn dandruff?
Ray, we've had enough of your bug recipes.

Hey, all, don't ever invite Ray to a potluck.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
You obviously haven't seen Scottish sheep, maestro. They're positively Biblical. Ramshorns. Bollocks the size of handbags. They mug American tourists for their fish suppers.

Try and get blood from one of those and they'll trample you underfoot as soon as look at you.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
EGGammon,

How long has this been going on?

Gehanna

E.G. Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
Gehanna said:
EGGammon,

How long has this been going on?

Hmm, I would say ever since my Dad died. There was just some stuff I didn't get to tell him that I regret keeping from him. It kind of eats at me. That and all the other things contributing to my stress have been keeping me up. Plus being a writer, my mind wanders, too. It usually takes me 20-30 minutes to go to sleep unlike my mom who can put her head on a pillow and fall to sleep in 5 minutes.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Och, I'm so sorry for your loss, Egg. I would not have been flippant, had I known.

My apologies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
EGGammon,

I am writing you a PM. I will send it as soon as I have finished writing it. The reason I am telling you this is because I do not want you to think I have just left you hanging.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
EGGammon said:
Could it be stress, too? I seem to be under a lot lately.

Stress can certainly have a LOT to do with it.

A while back (several years ago), a friend suggested kava kava. You can find it in pill form at health-food stores. I only used it for about a week until I didn't need it any more. I still have some in case I need it. Which, now that I think about it, why the heck didn't I use it a couple weeks ago when I was sleeping so poorly??

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
EG,

I saw "Sleep" as the subject of this thread and thought finally a place to rest. :(
I'm an insomniac too EG. I tried the warm glass of milk, the counting sheep, the playing soft music, nothing helped. I gave up and began writing all the thoughts that kept me awake at nights. It helps.

I'm sorry for your loss, EG. I do know how you feel about losing a parent. Try writing what keeps you awake at night. It helped me. After a few hours and several pages, you'll find yourself sleepy and since you've written it, the next night there are less thoughts. Each evening becomes a little easier. Try it.

Good luck.

Joanne

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a "funny" about insomnia: p.s. I have trouble with sleep patterns also - could be all the night shifts I used to do at nursing.

An elderly woman went into the doctor's office. When the doctor asked why she was there, she replied, "I'd like to have some birth control pills."

Taken aback, the doctor thought for a minute and then said, "Excuse me, Mrs. Smith, but you're 75 years old. What possible use could you have for birth control pills?"

The woman responded, "They help me sleep better."

The doctor thought some more and continued, "How in the world do birth control pills help you to sleep?"

The woman said, "I put them in my granddaughter's orange juice and I sleep better at night."

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
EEG,

I have big insomnia issues that directly correlate to the stress level in my life, which rises in response to my lack of sleep. It's a viscious cycle, and the only way I've found to deal with it is exercise. That, avoiding caffiene after lunch, and doing something else when I start to dwell on negative, stressful stuff.

Honestly though, even a just a long walk after dinner will help me sleep better.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Invest in a good quality sound machine... turn it on, then focus on the sound and nothing else... imagine a dot in your mind, and just focus on it. You mind will eventually drift off with the sound... If nothing else, it's very relaxing. If sounds like waterfall or rain distracts you, try white noise or train or car... the droning sounds are very soothing and easy to fall asleep to.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
EG, I've had this problem too over the past couple of years, and I totally understand what you mean by needing at least 20-30 minutes to get to sleep. I need at least half an hour, even when I'm feeling sleepy!

What I've done is scheduled something early in the morning. Now I know that I have to go to bed if I want to get up in the morning. It's tough in the first couple of days, but it gets better. Even if you can't sleep, you have to stay in bed (and not run off to the computer), because you need your rest to be able to make it in time to your class (or whatever) in the morning.

I've been doing this for a week now, and my sleep patterns have changed dramatically.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Taking 20 or 30 minutes to fall asleep isn't far out of line. I think 15 minutes is about average.

There have been health warnings about kava kava. If I recall correctly, it's associated with liver damage.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Lotta good suggestions here. You probably won't get a chance to read this till tomorrow cuz yer sleepin' already.

When I was a kid, a friend of a friend of a friend, or someone, said that their mother told them that she'd read that there was a guy (probably in Scotland, eh, AQ?) who hadn't been able to sleep for thirty years. He had insomnia so bad, he just never slept. But he was okay, because every night, he'd get in bed, get under the covers and just lie quietly for eight hours, so he was always rested.

It's a very helpful image, turns out. Just taking away that pressure of needing to sleep or "trying" to sleep brings a whole nuther level of relaxation to the experience of going to bed.

Another thing I've found is that sometimes, while I'm still considering myself awake, if I pay attention to what's going through my mind, it's really more of a dream than a thought. My brain has gone to sleep and some other part of me, I don't know who, thinks I'm awake. So I shut that one up and let the asleep one take over.

And sometimes, when intense regret overcomes me, I picture my life as an arrow with a rope tied to it, and then I cut the rope. The past is behind me, I just let it fall away and move on. Also, I forgive myself. When I can't do that, I pretend I'm talking to a friend and the friend has my regrets, and I remind the friend that it's okay and tell her to forgive herself.

Oh, there's lots to do in bed at night, isn't there?!

Sweet dreams,

-paprikapink

Status
Not open for further replies.