Something interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risseybug

Here's something interesting that I noticed while re-reading the fifth HP book. I found it so because in my current WIP I have this same type of thing happening.

Since the book is Harry's POV, all adults are referred to by their surnames ie: Mr. Weasley, Professor Snape, etc... and the only time you know their first name is when another adult calls them by it.

It struck me, not as odd, but just as something I never noticed before. Do you think this is a good practice? It would solve a problem I have in my new book. I never know what to call the main characters father. Sometimes it's Donald, sometimes Megan's father/dad. Sometimes it's Mr. Montgomery, but I'm not sure about using that.

I think that JKR's way reflects a certain good manner - the way that children should not call their elders by their first name. But I don't want to call this particular character "Mr. Montgomery" every time, b/c that's not how my main character refers to her.

I just think it's getting redundant and wonder what you all think.

Christine

Jamesaritchie

names

I think how to refer to a character is always determined by who that character is, and who is doing the referring. In the HP book, the adults are nearly always in a position of authority, so the narrative should reflect this.

Risseybug

I guess

I just never noticed it before I started to write this book. I suppose I will notice the usage of a name over and over again more than the readers will, won't I. Probably just one of those nit picky writer things that readers don't really care about.

cluelessspicycinnamon

Re: I guess

I agree. JKR has a good way of going about it, in my opinion.

children should not call their elders by their first name

I call lots of adults by their first name. My mom calls her parents by their first names, but for a different reason. But yeah.

Risseybug

well, times have changed, I suppose. And when you are over the age of, say, 15 or 16, I guess you can get away with it. This is also in England, we're talking about here, where traditions die hard.

I only ever called a few adults by their first names, with their permission. I still call my neighbors, whom I have known since I was little, Mr. and Mrs. I am over 30, but it seems strange to me to call them by their first names.

cluelessspicycinnamon

That's true.

But no, I was talking about just friends that I've had forever, and I've always called their parents by their first names. Some people just fit better with their first and some better with their last. Actually, it's the friends I've made in the past few years that I haven't known since I was little that I'm not sure what to call them. So I just talk to them and try not to call them by their name at all.

Tish Davidson

first names/last names

I think a lot of what you call someone depends on what you get used to. I still call teachers I had 30 years ago Mr. and Mrs because that is how I learned them. My daughter's boyfriend of 7 years call me Mrs. Although I have invited him to call me by my first name, his habit of Mrs. has stuck, mainly, he says, because that is what he is used to. On the other hand, my other daughter's boyfriend of 2 years calls me by my first name. Both my kids call their biological father (my husband) by his first name, but they call me Mom. Weird, huh?

Stephanie

Re: first names/last names

The way a character addresses someone in a book gives the reader an immediate indication, without any further explanation, of the sort of relationship.

So the awkwardness you feel as a writer (when always using the Mr/Mrs title) can provide the reader with a little "atmosphere". Then the reader tags along as the characters become more comfortable (call me "Joe")....or not....("You may address me as Mr. Surname").

cluelessspicycinnamon

Re: first names/last names

Yeah, I guess it's just a personal thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.