And Now Opus Too

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last Sunday while reading the comics, it looked like the end for one of my favorite characters, Opus. And sad to say this Sunday morning it was true, Opus is no more.

He joins Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Calvin and Hobbes, The Patterson family from For Better or For Worse as comics I loved which are now no more. Sure they still run re-runs of these strips except Calvin and Hobbes, but it feels like so many charcaters I grew up with are now gone.

Snoopy and Charlie Brown was, are and will always be my favorite. Yes, I still have the Snoopy I received for my first Christmas, he sits next to my bed. Even though I have the collection of Charlie Brown holiday specials, I still watch them faithfully when they come on TV.

Calvin is still one of the best and truest philosophers of our time. His two pearls of wisdom when he was selling a swift kick in the butt for a dollar. When asked how business was he said not good, and he couldn't understand why, since most people he knew needed what he was selling. And that people will pay for what they want, but not what they need. I try to approach parts of my life like Calvinball, the only rule, never play the same way twice.

I started reading For Better or For Worse when the strip started. And watched as the family grew and went through many of the same trials we all do.

And now Opus. Bloom County was a true original and was one of the greatest strips of all time. With Bill The Cat's disasterous runs for the White House and Oliver Wendell Jones inventions. Cutter John's wheelchair being transformed into everything from the USS Enterpoop to a balloon rigged a flying device. Politics, pop culture and everyday life was fair game. In the times we now face, who doesn't need a mass dandelion break.

So to Snoopy and Charlie Brown, Opus, and Milo, Binkley and Bill the Cat, Steve and Cutter John, Calvin and Hobbes, the Patterson family, good bye.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Sad day indeed. :(

3835_180x180_1c66f4627f1b9679f8db47.gif

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Heather, I was sad when Bloom County was no more, and now, of course, the demise of Opus has made me sad once again.

Edited: I was told that FBoW was still going, but I see it's in re-runs too. :(

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sad that Opus is no more. Bet he was great if you liked him so much! (((((((((HUGS))))))))) Hope he's in comic heaven!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
:cry: Opus was my FAVORITE cartoon character. With Bloom County I've never known such a cartoonist who could make me weep from the poignancy. I have a stack of Bloom County's going back a couple decades.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Opus rules! The wit of Berkeley Breathed, be it insightful or silly or outlandish or caustic, is classic and I was glad he brought the Bloom County gang out of retirement via Salon in the first place. I hope Mr. Breathed keeps on keepin' on with other characters and stories.

PS Don't get the Goodnight Moon reference though... I guess his kids like that one. I'm trying to open Opus' last words at berkeleybreathed.com and the server must be overrun, it's not loading :)

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Aw hell, that was one of my favorites. Goodbye, Opus.

bim344.jpg

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Tempus fugits, but fortunately we have a few newer ones, like

bucky8uq.jpg

PearlsBefore_FC.jpg