What's your worst line (so far)?

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
After writing the sentence below (it's killing me to not edit!), I figured we needed a worst line thread.

For crying out loud, she was wearing more than everyone down at whatever the name of the fancy beach and hotel area was in San Diego.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This one is bothering me something fierce.

They were smudged with dirt, and the youngest looked about as sad as anyone he'd ever seen.

Seeing it like that shows me at least one problem with the sentence already. *sigh*

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
She was growing more agitated, and Sarah took pity on the poor old woman.
a) It really doesn't make sense. and should be so. Commas hate me. And agitated is the descriptor I chose to use for a woman who was just told her daughter is dead, becomes upset that her daughter ODed after being clean so long, and then is relieved/destroyed to find out it was actually murder.
b) "poor old woman"?!?! Am I five years old? I can't find something less cliched, more descriptive, and slightly more original than poor old woman?
c) I am lame.

Jiloa

On Purpose
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to choose another sentence, but this one was not to be outdone:

It was like spotting an endangered bird perched in a tree on the way to pick up the mail, so rare was his toothy grin.

:roll:

cklayne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
whimzy81.googlepages.com
He might be a short, 60-something, balding Italian man, but standing in the family kitchen, with the same fading yellow wallpaper as they day they moved in, she could almost see a child in his place.

Wow.. how many commas can a tired woman write? LOL

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Jiloa-
It took me a couple re-reads, but I eventually got it. :) I like it. As a 'worst line' it has character.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Somehow, he had breezed into her life like an unwelcome infection, shivers, fever, and all.

Um, I was trying to convey some kind of romantic tension, but this is just wrong in so many ways. :facepalm:

Jiloa

On Purpose
Registered
Reaction score
WittyandorIronic - Glad you eventually got it. Mind explaining it to me?

Shady Lane - I know it's convoluted, and I have no reasonable excuse for it. :tongue

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I will confess. It bugged me so much I rewrote it.

I know, I know. Silence the inner editor. But she's nasty. Even gagged and tied to a chair, she can immobilize me if I don't let her have at least a little say.

I do shut her up when she tells me how bad I am.

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
Can I post all the sentences I wrote here?

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Jiloa, your endangered birds pick up the mail? :ROFL:

Mine's already posted, actually, in the first three lines thread. At least, if it's not the worst, I don't want to keep looking any further.

The boy-child scowled up at Kian, the cat-stripes on his face twisting into fierce alien designs, with none of the reverence he ought to have shown to a Polestar of the ship, the son of Jitae Polestar.

I also keep getting stuck on words. The first session it was "brilliant"; this evening it seems to be "insisted." Wonder what that says about me...

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
(said by one of many victims of a vampire, immediately after her staking)
Now we're free. Right on, man.

*sigh*

Last edited:

DarkDesireX

I like tentacles!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ninasgooden.com
The rippling muscles that spanned his chest reminded her of a snake coiling over a solid victim, quivering in its last moments of life.

I read over that like..."Seriously, madam? Were you half asleep when you typed that one up?"

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The rippling muscles that spanned his chest reminded her of a snake coiling over a solid victim, quivering in its last moments of life.

I read over that like..."Seriously, madam? Were you half asleep when you typed that one up?"

Those are some scary ass muscles!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, this one is really ugly:

But gooseflesh covered the exposed skin of his arms, and he was shaking from head to toe from the cold and the adrenaline surge.

Cliched and crappy. Go me! :roll:

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
The skate boarder stole my purse.

I didn't know that was going to happen in the second chapter. Ah well, that's at least a 500 - 750 word action scene that will get me to my intended final draft word count 0f 75,000 to 80 thousand

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
I would be posting some lines, but there's an absolute rule I follow: I never read anything I've written for NaNo until editing starts -- oh, about two years from now.

Otherwise, I'd fill up a complete page here with those loose-finger witicisms and wackyisms I manage to wring out of my brain. There's a lot of them.

burgy61

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This is the latest one of many that made me step back and ask myself, what did I write that for.

Enjoy!

[FONT=&quot]So I lean back and make obvious looking motions.[/FONT]

Melenka

Better is the enemy of done
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccakovar.com
How such a callous fiend could be housed in such cool perfection was beyond her.

Really? No, really? In what universe is that sentence okay?

becky_smiles

Registered
Reaction score
The young woman's eyes scanned each page with growing interest, occasionally picking up a yellow highlighter that sat beside her, removing the cap anxiously, and marking some obviously-memorable statement.

Why? WHY would I write that?