Argh! Spongy bread loaf

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Google has been quite worthless, which may mean there is no good answer. Even so, I turn to you wise folks.

I cooked a two pound loaf in the bread machine today and it came out a bit spongy, either b/c I added a touch too much water or because it's undercooked, or both.

So do I just toast each piece to high heck or ??? And should I slice the bread up tonight/tomorrow and freeze it, thawing a day's worth at a time?

Cheers,
Christina

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Can you share your recipe? Have you had problems with undercooked bread in your breadmaker before? Is your yeast fresh and does it prove (assuming you're using yeast - if you're going sourdough, then adjustments need to be made to make it work with a breadmaker). Is your bread machine capable of a two pound loaf?

How soon after the bread was *cough* done did you slice it open? What's it like inside? Do you have pictures to share?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see- the recipe is one bag of mix plus 2 eggs, a 1/4c oil, and then water til the total liquid is 2c. I added a little more later, which might have pushed me over the edge. This is the same recipe I've done many times before. Yeast should be fine- individually packed and thrown in with the mix.

We sliced it about 10 minutes after it was 'done.' It did totally collapse at the top, where it is most spongy atm. I might get pics tomorrow, but now it's slightly soggy below and soggy and collapsed about an inch from the top.

Cheers :)

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Ah. I'd forgotten that, in some parts of the world, there are bread mixes like that. I have zero experience with them.

There's no guarantee that the yeast is fine. I've bought yeast that was packed a month prior and scheduled to expire in two years that was completely dead. It happens. Unfortunately.

How old is your bread machine? It's possible also that the heating elements are going. If there's not enough heat to cook the dough fast enough, it can collapse and it could explain the not-quite-cooked bit.

Also, bread should be left alone for a bit longer after taking it out of the oven/taking it out of the bread machine as it's still cooking inside for another 15-20 minutes after.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The bread did rise, so the yeast weren't totally hopeless, but yeah, I see what you're sayin'. Bread machine is just a few months old. We have been partially covering the vents on colder days, but today was plenty warm (yes, I put it outside, I have birds and it has teflon).

Lastly, I use a special bread that doesn't like to be kept warm, but next time I'll throw a towel over it for 15 minutes when it's 'done' and see how that goes. (Time is already maxed out) If I keep it hot instead of warm it shouldn't flake out on me. Thanks for the tip!

But is there anything to be done for the soggy loaf aside from croutons?

Hm, actually, that's not a bad idea. I could make em and freeze em. Or bread crumbs. Yay.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Personally, when I have failed bread, I bread pudding it. But croutons are a good idea, too, if you like croutons (I don't unless it's Caesar salad, and since Romaine lettuce doesn't exist here...). Toast is a good idea, too. :)

When I bread pudding failed bread, I actually stick chunks of bread in the whir whir thingie and make crumbs out of it and use the crumbs for the bread pudding rather than cubes of bread. It rescues the failed bread better, in my opinion. But that's also because my failed breads were breads that were more, ah, dwarfish. Thick, dense, didn't rise.

You could also try sticking the bread in the oven for another ten minutes or so to cook the rest of the inside. It'll still be fallen on top, but at least it'll be cooked.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, cheers!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought was that 2 eggs is too many for one loaf of bread. When I make bread by hand my recipes usually make two or three loaves and most of these recipes use only one egg (if at all).

Turning it into bread pudding is a good idea. The last bread pudding I made I had some bananas that needed to go so I whirled them in the blender with the egg and milk (and nutmeg) and voila - banana bread pudding. I served it warm with some rum sauce and vanilla ice cream.