PDA

View Full Version : An age-old question!

Susie
11-02-2008, 02:18 AM
At what age do you think one is old?
PS That should've been 70+ time for the rest home. lol.

Please discuss.

MaryMumsy
11-02-2008, 02:21 AM
None of the above. I have known old people who were 45 and young people who were 85. I think it is largely a matter of attitude.

MM

regdog
11-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Honestly, I don't know. I think it depends on the person, some people are just born old.

I'm getting older every day, but I think I'm too goofy to ever consider myself old

DL Hegel
11-02-2008, 02:23 AM
hi Suse:)
who is one?
Who am I?
I need a turkey sandwich?
A dark chocolate truffle would be nice:D

Susie
11-02-2008, 02:25 AM
hi Suse:)
who is one?
Who am I?
I need a turkey sandwich?
A dark chocolate truffle would be nice:D

:roll: One is the person, silly! :D You are my adorable friend and a turkey sandwich & dark chocolate truffle is virtually on it's way! (((((((HUGS)))))) Hey, Mary & RegDog ((((((((((HUGS)))))). Thx much for posting.

Disa
11-02-2008, 02:25 AM
I think someone is old when they show the inability to consider ways of thinking other than theirs. If you aren't learning, you aren't living, so what's the point? :)

oneblindmouse
11-02-2008, 02:28 AM
Old for what? Old is relative. It's all in the mind. And old is ALWAYS older than what one is!

JoNightshade
11-02-2008, 02:30 AM
To me, old is and has always been slightly older than my parents. I don't know why this is. So anyway, "Old people" means upwards of seventy right now. :)

DL Hegel
11-02-2008, 02:37 AM
:roll: One is the person, silly! :D You are my adorable friend and a turkey sandwich & dark chocolate truffle is virtually on it's way! (((((((HUGS)))))) Hey, Mary & RegDog ((((((((((HUGS)))))). Thx much for posting.

you will always be 20 to me:)

I do know the secret of making it to old--
My grams said 'being awnry'
She passed at 97 and had the arm of a pro baseball player and I have dents in the back of my head to prove it;)

Bravo
11-02-2008, 02:38 AM

DL Hegel
11-02-2008, 02:49 AM

if that were true--half of Aw--would be in old folks home.

Hey--I thought you looked familiar is that where we met?

truelyana
11-02-2008, 03:17 AM
I think 'old' is a figment of the mind, just as equal as 'young' is, and often does not originate with age as much as one seems to think. A physical social trait to carry the condition of the physical being in time-frame is its context.

RobJ
11-02-2008, 03:54 AM
When you've outlived everyone in your school photos, and you can't see too well or hear too well, and loneliness is more common than company, and you start telling yourself and your children and your (great)grandchildren that you've lived too long. Then you're old.

Ken
11-02-2008, 03:56 AM
there are many members on this site who are up there in years, but are as nimble in mind and heart as teens judging by their insightful and caring posts. So judging from this I'd say that age is just a number for the most part and a misleading one at that.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-02-2008, 03:57 AM
20 or so years older than I am at any point in time. :)

Silver King
11-02-2008, 04:04 AM
I don't feel too old yet, but definitely aged. It started happening when my children began having children. Nothing like being referred to as, "Grandpa," to help make a person feel aged. I first heard it while still in my thirties, so I expect in a few more years I'll be a "Great Grandpa," well before I have a chance to enjoy most of my fifties. Boy, I can't wait...

*Note to younger readers: Don't start a family until you're at least twenty years old!* :)

Susie
11-02-2008, 04:09 AM
These are great answers, guys and very much appreciated. Then, obviously, chronologically a number is not relevant. The only relevance is in how the person feels. Many thanks.

willfulone
11-02-2008, 04:44 AM
When I can no longer do a back walkover or a round off back handspring. Then I will consider myself old. I am hoping I can do those things until I am 50. Only 6 more years to go on that. I am not even sure why I set that as the measure. The physicalitly of it. I mean the numbers never bother me (I will be 44 in less than 2 weeks), but for some reason, the removal of certain physical abilities makes me think I will be old or I feel the loss of them signals I am old.

So, really Suse. While mindset is important to thinking young, some of it is the number too. Well, for me anyway.

Christine

Jersey Chick
11-02-2008, 04:51 AM
Some days I am old (I have old, decrepit knees and am looking at possible surgery after the holidays - stupid knee :rant: )

But, some days I am not so old - like yesterday, when I ran around the back yard with my 3 year old (which is why my stupid knee hurts like $%%$@ today. stupid knee :rant: )

I think you're as old as you feel. I'll be 37 next month - which kind of freaks me out, since I don't always feel 37.

Susie
11-02-2008, 05:11 AM
Sure hope you don't have to have knee surgery, Jerz. Prayers and good vibes sent that you won't have to! Man, 37 is like a real kid. :D That's way cool!

Bravo
11-02-2008, 08:53 AM
if that were true--half of Aw--would be in old folks home.

and the other half should be in a mental institute.

SPMiller
11-02-2008, 09:29 AM
I consider someone to be old if she's within one standard deviation of the life expectancy for her population.

kct webber
11-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I was born wearing a tattered bathrobe, sandles with knee-high socks, and carrying a cane.

regdog
11-02-2008, 06:41 PM
and the other half should be in a mental institute. :ROFL:

I was born wearing a tattered bathrobe, sandles with knee-high socks, and carrying a cane. :ROFL:

Lyra Jean
11-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm 29 and I've still had people come pat me on the head and say how cute I look. I had to tell them hey I'm an adult don't touch me.

All my grandparents have lived into their 90's. I have a great-grandma in her 100's. I plan to be around for a long time. I think when I hit 70 I'll finally look 50 or 60 years old.

I think it's in the head. While physicality is a factor the better you take care of yourself as a young person the longer you can keep up physical activity in your later years.

donroc
11-02-2008, 07:42 PM

Good point.

No "pipes and whistles" in my throat, as the Bard wrote.

There are many young fogies and others with less than my 76 years in worse health (of their making not from disease or caused by accident), with less mental acuity, and no cheerful outlook. Physically without cosmetic surgery I am taken for one in his 50s, but they could say I look 90 and I would not care.

As an aside, I saw a change in age attitude when I was much younger. My peers and I waited impatiently to become 21. Then, I began to notice in the 60s that many adolescents were terrified of leaving their teens, and young adults expressed dread reaching 30. Of course living in age-conscious L.A./Hollywood might have had much to do with it.

Obviously, I could not find my answer in the poll.

Susie
11-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Thx all for the great answers. Much appreciated!

JLCwrites
11-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Bodies grow old... souls are timeless.

Susie
11-03-2008, 02:58 AM
That's a timeless answer and so great!

joyce
11-03-2008, 03:15 AM
I've known old people in their twenties. Now that I'm older I realize it really is all about your attitude. Of course when I was twenty I never thought I'd be sleeping with a 55 year old man......ick! Now I'm married to that 55 year old man and actually look forward to sleeping with him. :D

polarqueen
11-03-2008, 03:29 AM
I remember when I was 16 and I thought 23 was like a dinosaur. Now I wonder what all the 16 years olds think of me! lol!

benbradley
11-03-2008, 04:30 AM
I actually feel younger at 51 than I did at 30, but I wasn't treating my body well back then.

Haggis
11-03-2008, 04:35 AM
All you kids get the hell off my Susie's lawn.

Susie
11-03-2008, 04:37 AM
:ROFL:

roncouch
11-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Old age is a state of mind. I turned 70 last August. I feel fine. My physical and mental health is very good. I try not to think of getting "Old." I stay physically and mentally active. I raised ten different kinds of hell when I was younger, but at age 53, decided to live the good life, and do. My wife is 69, and I think she's pretty. One of our neighbors is 86 and works like a much younger man. He looks old to me.:)

rhymegirl
11-03-2008, 06:43 AM
I don't feel too old yet, but definitely aged. It started happening when my children began having children. Nothing like being referred to as, "Grandpa," to help make a person feel aged. I first heard it while still in my thirties, so I expect in a few more years I'll be a "Great Grandpa," well before I have a chance to enjoy most of my fifties. Boy, I can't wait...

My sister just became a grandmother at 54. I got to see the new baby tonight! So cute. And I got to hold her. I haven't held a baby in a long, long time.

All of my kids are old enough to have kids. Luckily, they're too busy concentrating on being college students to think about starting families at this point. I don't think I'll be a grandmother for quite a while.

Clair Dickson
11-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Huccome 30 isn't on the list? That's old... at least I tease my Hubby about it all the time.

Aside from giving grief, I don't think of terms of 'old' or 'young' but simple older or younger than [insert comparison]. Every is relative.

C.bronco
11-03-2008, 06:53 AM
None of the above. I have known old people who were 45 and young people who were 85. I think it is largely a matter of attitude.

MM
Perfect.

It's all a matter of attitude.
:)

Susie
11-03-2008, 07:26 AM
All you kids get the hell off my Susie's lawn.

My lawn is your lawn and vice-versa. :D Just hope they all clean up the tp! :)

Pagey's_Girl
11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I think a certain amount of age really is in your head. My father was old by the time he was fifty and my mother is still young at 79. Now granted, she has a touch of arthitis and a cataract that's going to need to come out soon - but where my father would grumble and complain and never get the cataract looked at "because them doctors can't do nothin'. They just take your money," my mom's attitude is "I'm going to need to get something done soon because I can't see that well anymore. And look at your cousin - she had it done at 92." As for me, I feel younger now at 40 than I did at 21, but I don't think I'd want to be 21 again. There are so many things I've seen and done that I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on for anything, and so many things I'm proud to say "I remember the day that happened!" about. And I can't wait to see what happens next....

Ageless Stranger
11-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Being ageless, I can only laugh at you puny humans and your mortality.

Haha!

Seaclusion
11-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm a 22 y.o. stuck in a 50 y.o. body. Help

Richard

Shadow_Ferret
11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
I'd go along with this.

I'm a 22 y.o. stuck in a 50 y.o. body. Help

Richard

Wow, you're old. I'm still 17.

HeronW
11-04-2008, 01:17 AM
The older I get the younger I think :}

roncouch
11-04-2008, 05:32 AM
One thing I like about getting older - ALL the girls look good!