PoFauxNaNo

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Post Faux NaNo!

So for those who have a completed first draft and are now ready to start the edit/second draft/burning of old pages/synopsis/query stage, we thought we needed a place to convene and commiserate.

Update away!

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Ugh. For the last hour and a half I have been stuck on three pages and have only managed to expand one paragraph on the interior of an abandoned cottage. Now I'm stuck trying to find a type of bush my MC is going to crash land in when she launches herself out a window. THIS SUCKS.

At this rate, I'll be lucky to finish the whole thing by Turkey Day. :Headbang:

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Holly! It's the only bush to land in, this time of the year...

I am halfway through draft number 1. I can't nano (guests, only looking to write another 20-25 K), but this forum looks good. Edam? Triple cream brie? Triscuits?

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Did you say CHEESE, Keyan?

*looks at the half eaten slab of Gruyere on her kitchen counter*

I believe you have come to the right place!

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just found this thread. I'll be officially here starting on Monday. I'm taking tomorrow off. Just got done with the 2nd draft Thursday, so I'm taking a few days off.

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
Ok, I admit I'm a slacker and didn't finish FauxNaNo...in fact, I stalled out at page 100 and started a completely new project. Can I come into this thread for my second attempt at FauxNano (I don't like the formality of real NaNo, lol)? I'll bring brownies...

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I admit I'm a slacker and didn't finish FauxNaNo...in fact, I stalled out at page 100 and started a completely new project. Can I come into this thread for my second attempt at FauxNano (I don't like the formality of real NaNo, lol)? I'll bring brownies...

Hey, we can have our own corner, Colby, providing we get in the door *aims puppydog eyes toward Blond*. PrePoFauxNaNo. Or something. :D

Got a little under 10K left that didn't hapen in FauxNaNo: it's getting done this month, though, dammit. And I'm going to get at least a first-pass look in on top of that. No more mz-slacker-girl for me.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm ready for this room...

It took me a year to write my current novel so the stuff at the beginning is practically foreign. Time to start whackin' and cuttin'.

Wow, I just cut all of Chapter 1. We hardly knew ya...

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Pass the brownies, please. I have hot apple cider and an ms that needs some whipping into shape.

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Sundays are my favorite days for editting. Lots of useless background noise on the TV (football, yay) and today, it's actually wet and rainy here! It hasn't been wet and rainy in, oh, a year? I'm literally not kidding.

I'm considering staying in my PJs all day...

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto on Sundays. Nice and quiet. The noise here is from a PlayStation 3. Everyone is immersed but me. :) Of course we're having a half-way decent day here so I'll get the kids out to the park. But I'm on page 238 out of 278 so I'm making decent progress on my first pass-through.

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
I've showered, but true to my word I'm still in PJs.

And I've FINALLY managed to finish the chapter I've been working on for two days. ARGH. I knew there was a reason I skipped it the first time around. Creative insertion of background and characterization is such a slog. Makes my brain hurt!

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I'm sitting here, mostly pleased with the book produced during FauxNano, but staring at the utter roadkill that is my first attempt at a decent query blurb for the book. Thanks to those who came to prod the carcass over on SYW. (I don't plan to linger over this book. I plan to go back for another round of edits at some point this month, then start querying in December.)

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
I didn't finish FauxNaNo either. I'm a slacker. I am, however, all signed up for Sven's 70 Days of Sweat which starts on November 10. In the meantime, I'm working on this blasted synopsis.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely in my pjs now - but it's quarter past 6 in the am, so I would be. :) Got in only 400 yesterday since I ended up spending most of it helping my dad "winterize" stuff, but I'm back in the groove now, baby. This scene is going pretty well, and I read back about 50 pages and that all actually looked pretty good too.

Luck on the synopsis, Jen - I hate those things.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, nice thread. I've got coffee for the Monday morning blues.

The first seven chapters of my novel-in-edits hit the figurative cutting room floor this weekend. How's that for progress? Now I need to figure out how to re-insert the important stuff.

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
7 Chapters? *passes Ink an Irish coffee* Holy shiznit.

I have made it 136 pages through my first round of edits. That included cutting most of one chapter and then rewriting it (so, so painful) and finishing a chase scene I gave up on last time around. So far, I'm up to 67K.

Going to work like a fiend today because tomorrow is a lost day. I have to (god forbid) go to my part time job and then I'm off to an election night party.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Finished my first pass at the ms. Needs work. Needs serious work, particularly at the end where I got excited and went waaaay too fast.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing a casual walkthrough of the entire ms. I have deleted two of the first seven chapters.

Imagine what I'll find when I do a serious runthrough.

Shudder...