Adding first chapters/first 10 pgs to website/blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a web site and was curious about thoughts on adding a section for the first few chapters of my novel, or the first ten pages of scripts I've done/am working on. None of it has been published, yet.
thanks

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
To what end? Just to let people see it and comment? If so, then make sure your website has a password area, just like we have with SYW. Why do we HAVE a password? Because then people's ideas (and the threat of theft) aren't quite so easy for unscrupulous people to get their hands on. Now, it's unlikely that anyone will steal it. But it does happen. So, if your goal is simply to have content on your site, make it something that you don't have to worry about later REMOVING from the web if it gets sold. I put up chapters on my site, but it's a sample of something I hope for people to later BUY. Same thing with a publisher. Why pay you money for something they can't later sell because everybody has already seen it? Make a short story prequel to your novel, for example---"web only" content that only regular readers of your site will get to see.

Otherwise, I'd say not. It simply complicates things later. JMHO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.