Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
to play Christmas music!

Oy.

At midnight, one local station ended with The Monster Mash and went into it's Christmas format. Another station here has also gone to it's Christmas format.

WTF?

Who the Aych Eee Double Toothpicks is in the Christmas spirit on November 1st?

Can't we at least have American Thanksgiving first?

:rant:

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
to play Christmas music!

Oy.

At midnight, one local station ended with The Monster Mash and went into it's Christmas format. Another station here has also gone to it's Christmas format.

WTF?

Apparently the "holiday season" now runs from Halloween through New Year's. That's not my definition and I loathe it but I've seen it a lot in the last few days, including ads on tv this morning saying "the holiday season is here".

It sucks.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Here in Fla. where it was still in the 90's during the beginning of October, Xmas was alive and well in the stores! :)

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
We started getting our Christmas stuff in at the store weeks ago. We actually do switch the season over on Halloween night. I didn't stay late to help, but when I go in this afternoon we should have the bulk of our stuff out and all the displays up. I'm just very happy that we don't even start the music until Black Friday.

I did see Santa in Wal*Mart...in July. Glad I don't work there.

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
The weird thing about the all-Christmas music format is it almost always improves ratings. I believe it was a small radio station in Philly that first tried that several years ago and the ratings soared.

It's usually stations just hanging on that go with the format. Personally, I'd rather take a hard beating than listen to Christmas music 24/7 for two months, but for whatever reason, it does seem to attract listeners.

Bayou Bill :cool:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Mr. Fer-ret...

"It's beginning to "sound" a lot like Christmas....everywhere you go..."

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Apparently the "holiday season" now runs from Halloween through New Year's. That's not my definition and I loathe it but I've seen it a lot in the last few days, including ads on tv this morning saying "the holiday season is here".

It sucks.

Nonsense! Lalalalalalalala . . . turkey feasts . . . jingle bells . . . eggnog . . . fireworks . . . the holidays are here! I love it. I love it!! Hey, you, bring me some more excited children and visiting family! Glitter and baubles and pilgrim hats and trick-or-treating and tinsel . . .

*sigh* I love the holidays. :partyguy:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. CHristmas is my favorite holiday, right after Virgin Sacrifice Day, and I do enjoy the music, but why can't it start the weekend after Thanksgiving like it always used to?

Money. The sooner eveyone gets into the Christmas spirit, the sooner they'll go Christmas shopping. :e2tongue: on anything Christmas before Thanksgiving

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
to play Christmas music!

Oy.

WTF?

Shoot me. Make it slow and painful if you want to, but just shoot me.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. CHristmas is my favorite holiday, right after Virgin Sacrifice Day, and I do enjoy the music, but why can't it start the weekend after Thanksgiving like it always used to?

Haven't we been down this road before?

And like someone else said, they want people to get into those stores and buy, buy, buy as soon as possible!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody, all together now:

*sings, badly and off-key*

Dashing through the snow, in a one horse-open sleigh...

:D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Haven't we been down this road before?

And like someone else said, they want people to get into those stores and buy, buy, buy as soon as possible!
YEs, and I took us down that road also. I think I complained about seeing the first Christmas commercial back in August.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have music channels on our cable tv and sure enough-Christmas Carols-NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

And our local Walgreens has had Christmas crap up since Oct 1

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm cool with it. I've already got my Christmas playlists in heavy rotation on Pandora. As soon as the temperature drops I'm in the spirit.

I'll probably watch one of the Christmas Carol movies tonight. Maybe the Albert Finney one...

If Thanksgiving wants in on the Holiday fervor, it needs to do better self promotion. Get some songs out there, come up with a more lovable looking mascot than a turkey...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I don't like having holidays rammed down my throat.
Same here. And retailers have a way of taking the fun out of any occasion by making us feel like we should spend! spend! spend! in order to enjoy most holidays. Screw them. Cherish the time spent with your family, with perhaps a token gift or two. With plenty of good food and a little booze along the way, you'll enjoy the time of your life without going into debt.

On another note, if you're ever in a jam and can't afford a gift for someone, write a poem for that person. Try to include imagery they would appreciate, such as scenes from their life only you could share. By giving what you value most in creation, which are the words that shape our experiences, you can offer a gift no one else can ever duplicate, and which no amount of money could ever buy.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, a Silver King sighting! The aliens sent him back.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If Thanksgiving wants in on the Holiday fervor, it needs to do better self promotion. Get some songs out there, come up with a more lovable looking mascot than a turkey...

You know, you may be on to something here.

For Halloween, there is that song The Monster Mash.

Christmas has tons of songs.

What Thanksgiving songs are out there? Are there any? I think we need to write some.