Observation on published works

ELMontague

I've noticed a number of editing errors in the things I've been reading of late, mispelled or incorrect words. It's exactly the same kinds of errors I find in my own work as I go back through editing original, even third and fourth, drafts. Of course I've been reading a lot of romance and erotica this year, studying you might say. Is that normal? Or am I just reading closer since I'm trying to learn?

Trust me, this isn't a criticism of editors, that's a tough job. I'm just trying to understand the business.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Some erotica houses are better than others when it comes to editing. I've worked with several:whereas with one I barely got a line edit, with a couple of others my story was as shredded as any of my mainstream things. It really depends on the publisher that you're buying these books from.

Samhaim, Ellora's Cave, Aspen Mountain Press, Loose ID--just off the top of my head, these houses have a reputation for strict editing guidelines. There are more, I know.

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
I've noticed it, too. In horror, sci-fi, everywhere, both online and in print. I've got the same question as you do. While I'm no grammatical expert by any means, I do cringe when I see work that's published with "their" instead of "there" and other similar errors.

I'm also trying to learn the business and doing a lot of market research. If an editor can't edit any better than I can, is this really where I want to be submitting my work? Also, not a criticism, just a question.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
This happens more than you'd think, even from major publishers. Publishers these days actually invest very little money in actual editing. "Editors" these days spend a lot more time in board meetings and doing marketing than they do actual editing. Case in point---I just read my author's copy of my latest novel in print (pubbed by Virgin Books, a division of Random House) and found several errors, none of which were in the galley. I suppose those errors made it in by accident during the copyedit. Made me cringe, but having worked as a copyeditor myself in the past I know it's hard to catch everything.

ELMontague

Yeah, I found a number of them in Acheron last month and a few in Storm Front last week, but I'm reading one called Pure Sex, a collection, from Kensington books right now and it's got a number of erros too. All of those came off the shelf at Borders.

I've given e-books a bit of a pass historically, assuming they were not as well financed as print, but from what I've noticed this year it's about on par.

Sakamonda - You indicated that your errors showed up after your last review (the galley review), how much control do you have over the final draft?