Gifts for Writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
So the holidays are coming up soon, and there are always birthdays and anniversaries and random acts of giftgiving that inspire me to ask: What are some good gifts for writers? What is a great gift that you once received, or that you've always wanted to receive, that could inspire your writer soul? What is a gift that you've given to a friend or family member who likes to write?

For example:
My family always discouraged reading and writing, so the best writerly gift I ever received came from my grade 2 teacher, who gave me a beautiful set of envelopes and letter paper. It was the only time as a kid that anyone ever gave me anything to acknowledge and nurture my love of writing. These days I think if someone really knew my deep down writer self and wanted to validate how important that writer is, they'd do so with some kind of precious sentimentality like a fancy fountain pen or something that I would think of them and their encouragement every time I sat down to write (more precious to me than jewelry or flowers, for sure!). But I think for other writers, what would be most precious might be a weekend where the rest of the family goes out of town, or a gift certificate to a writing class, or a cleaned-out space in the basement that the writer can claim as his or her own writing space.

So what about you? What would you love to receive as a writer? What gift would you give someone else? I'd love to hear your wildest, fantasy ideas, as well as perhaps some practical suggestions for those of us actually looking to give someone something soon!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Writing books. I have a quite a collection given to me by friends and relatives who know my passion for writing, even if they don't always understand it. One I bought for myself, but would recommend as a good gift, is Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott.

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
My gift is coming in November. My husband goes hunting and I'll have the house all to myself for 20 days. That maybe selfish of me but I'll put the time to good use, I have two books waiting to be finished and I want to start another.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Writing books are good. I got a few last year for Christmas.

The best gift was a laptop from my hubby for my bday a year and a half ago. :)

Notebooks, pens...all good.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personal "gift certificates" for things like: extra chore(s) done, undisturbed hours, evening/drive of listening to the writer thinking aloud, meals brought in, etc.

Me, myself, I prefer popular novels in the genres I'm writing at the time. Best market research I've ever found.

Subscription to Writer's Market Online, or maybe the online OED if they want to spend a small bundle.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Books. Any books. Books are always good for writers because writers are readers. :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
-- My way paid to Clarion.

-- My way paid to the World SF and World Fantasy Conventions for the rest of my life. Okay, for one year, if you want to be cheap.

-- A pair of laptops (got a friend who needs one, too).

-- First editions, in excellent condition, of all my favorite novels, plus nice hardcover editions of the same for actual reading.

-- A standing desk. With a treadmill attached. I'd REALLY like this -- sitting for hours on end is a pain in the butt. And back. And legs. Etc.

-- A nice quiet office penthouse in downtown Providence with a view down the rivers to the harbor.

-- My own perpetually reserved table at the Coffee Exchange on Wickenden. One of the tables with a street view.

-- Tickets for me and Stephen King to go to a Red Sox game, and I'm not even a baseball fan.

-- A writing retreat house on the Cape, Harwich is fine, or Chatham or Wellfleet or Truro if you want to go higher end. Nothing fancy: two beds, one big office, a screen porch, a soaking tub and separate shower in the bath, an outside shower, that's plenty.

-- Jane Austen's inkwell.

-- A nice check for doing travel research on my next novel.

-- Some Moleskine notebooks and Parker Jotter pens -- can never have too many!

-- A pet agent.

Guess that'll do it for one Xmas. ;)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gifts I would love to get:

-a new laptop

-lovely empty notebooks

-gift card for Starbucks or Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf

-any books at all

Gifts I'd Love to Give

-books on writing (like Bird by Bird, Pen on Fire, or Zen in the Art of Writing)

-I like to sew and embroider cool covers for regular notebooks from the drugstore

-handmade lap blankets or quilts

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
A writing table for the bed. Kinda like a breakfast in bed table that has an adjustable middle, so the notebook can sit up at an angle. The one I have is too narrow, it must have been made for a kid. >.<

-An

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
These are a few of my favorite things, and I've actually read most of these:

writebooks.JPG

See that orange one in the middle titled "how to write best selling fiction" - that's the one a lot of writers don't have and want. Mine's not for sale.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
If I open a box on Christmas morning and it has fifty ink cartridges and twelve reams of paper in it, I would be a very happy woman.
Trade the ink cartridges for a laser printer and an extra toner cartridge - it's faster and a lot less expensive.

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I get sore neck, shoulders and back from writing. So someone paying for weekly massages would be heaven.

I know if I my wife ever caught me getting a massage in my house that's the excuse I'd try.

"She was a gift, honey. I have 'writer's shoulder'. It would have been rude to refuse."

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I thought of something else.

I don't know about you guys but I get sore neck, shoulders and back from writing. So someone paying for weekly massages would be heaven.

That sounds like a posture issue. I used to have issues, till I realised what the problem was. I wasn't able to place my feet comfortably on the floor. I didn't consciously realise I was uncomfortable, but looking back I was always fidgeting and crossing my legs to try and raise them.

I got a footrest. Very simple, but the pain went away.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Wildest fantasy ideas...?

I'd like some devoted fans the most. Ones who actually stick around for the entire story and speak up if they enjoy it--with more than just "Great story, please write more." I'd like to connect to somebody and make a friend out of them. Somebody like me (only with more confidence). Somebody to just chatter inanely with about what we're interested in and writing about. Who won't suddenly stop writing and disappear on me. A longtime friend.

I've already got a computer to type on and know how to write, so that's my wildest gift fantasy.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
The best writing-related gift I ever got was via a random act of kindness. I was around 9 years old and our neighbor knew I wanted to be a writer so he gave me an old copy of Writers Market 1963. It opened up a whole new world to me since it gave me evidence that people actually made a living at writing...and now I had the instruction manual.

Back in my initial writing days friends always gifted me with stuff like reams of paper, sheet protectors, stamps, envelopes and the like. Nowadays I guess the best writing gift I could get would be a current Writers Market, although I usually buy it the minute it comes out myself, or some new ink cartridges so I don't have to brave the hell that is Wal-Mart and stamps so I can avoid the post office.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I got a footrest. Very simple, but the pain went away.
That's what I use, but I have to. My feet don't touch the floor. (I can't lower the chair anymore or I'll be looking up at the computer screen.) But I rest my legs on the stool and that sort of helps my lower back.

ascribe

I...love...rejections
Registered
Reaction score
A lovely chunky ink pen that feels weighty. I do most of my work on the computer but I'd love one to make notes and jot ideas down. A cheap biro just isn't the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.