PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for Writers

scheherazade
10-31-2008, 08:48 PM
So the holidays are coming up soon, and there are always birthdays and anniversaries and random acts of giftgiving that inspire me to ask: What are some good gifts for writers? What is a great gift that you once received, or that you've always wanted to receive, that could inspire your writer soul? What is a gift that you've given to a friend or family member who likes to write?

For example:
My family always discouraged reading and writing, so the best writerly gift I ever received came from my grade 2 teacher, who gave me a beautiful set of envelopes and letter paper. It was the only time as a kid that anyone ever gave me anything to acknowledge and nurture my love of writing. These days I think if someone really knew my deep down writer self and wanted to validate how important that writer is, they'd do so with some kind of precious sentimentality like a fancy fountain pen or something that I would think of them and their encouragement every time I sat down to write (more precious to me than jewelry or flowers, for sure!). But I think for other writers, what would be most precious might be a weekend where the rest of the family goes out of town, or a gift certificate to a writing class, or a cleaned-out space in the basement that the writer can claim as his or her own writing space.

So what about you? What would you love to receive as a writer? What gift would you give someone else? I'd love to hear your wildest, fantasy ideas, as well as perhaps some practical suggestions for those of us actually looking to give someone something soon!

MatchmakerJane
10-31-2008, 09:04 PM
I would love the gift of a basic writing class. I know I need help with grammar and sentence structure.

CaroGirl
10-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Writing books. I have a quite a collection given to me by friends and relatives who know my passion for writing, even if they don't always understand it. One I bought for myself, but would recommend as a good gift, is Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott.

stormie
10-31-2008, 09:36 PM
A gift card to Barnes & Noble.

A file cabinet with two drawers. (Right now I'm using file folders and they're unwieldy.)

A pen that writes smoothly and fits in my hand perfectly.

Warm, comfy slippers to wear when I'm writing. (When my feet are happy, I'm happy. :) )

c2ckim
10-31-2008, 09:36 PM
My gift is coming in November. My husband goes hunting and I'll have the house all to myself for 20 days. That maybe selfish of me but I'll put the time to good use, I have two books waiting to be finished and I want to start another.

Alpha Echo
10-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Writing books are good. I got a few last year for Christmas.

The best gift was a laptop from my hubby for my bday a year and a half ago. :)

Notebooks, pens...all good.

DeleyanLee
10-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Personal "gift certificates" for things like: extra chore(s) done, undisturbed hours, evening/drive of listening to the writer thinking aloud, meals brought in, etc.

Me, myself, I prefer popular novels in the genres I'm writing at the time. Best market research I've ever found.

Subscription to Writer's Market Online, or maybe the online OED if they want to spend a small bundle.

Alpha Echo
10-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Books. Any books. Books are always good for writers because writers are readers. :)

Phaeal
10-31-2008, 09:50 PM
-- My way paid to Clarion.

-- My way paid to the World SF and World Fantasy Conventions for the rest of my life. Okay, for one year, if you want to be cheap.

-- A pair of laptops (got a friend who needs one, too).

-- First editions, in excellent condition, of all my favorite novels, plus nice hardcover editions of the same for actual reading.

-- A standing desk. With a treadmill attached. I'd REALLY like this -- sitting for hours on end is a pain in the butt. And back. And legs. Etc.

-- A nice quiet office penthouse in downtown Providence with a view down the rivers to the harbor.

-- My own perpetually reserved table at the Coffee Exchange on Wickenden. One of the tables with a street view.

-- Tickets for me and Stephen King to go to a Red Sox game, and I'm not even a baseball fan.

-- A writing retreat house on the Cape, Harwich is fine, or Chatham or Wellfleet or Truro if you want to go higher end. Nothing fancy: two beds, one big office, a screen porch, a soaking tub and separate shower in the bath, an outside shower, that's plenty.

-- Jane Austen's inkwell.

-- A nice check for doing travel research on my next novel.

-- Some Moleskine notebooks and Parker Jotter pens -- can never have too many!

-- A pet agent.

Guess that'll do it for one Xmas. ;)

illiterwrite
10-31-2008, 10:11 PM
A nanny.

Red-Green
10-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Gift cards to book stores. My boss is awesome about this. He knows what I write when the office is slow and every Xmas he gives me gift card to a local book store.

mscelina
10-31-2008, 10:24 PM
If I open a box on Christmas morning and it has fifty ink cartridges and twelve reams of paper in it, I would be a very happy woman.

DeleyanLee
10-31-2008, 10:34 PM
If I open a box on Christmas morning and it has fifty ink cartridges and twelve reams of paper in it, I would be a very happy woman.

You seriously know how to live. No joke.

Kitty Pryde
10-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Gifts I would love to get:

-a new laptop

-lovely empty notebooks

-gift card for Starbucks or Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf

-any books at all

Gifts I'd Love to Give

-books on writing (like Bird by Bird, Pen on Fire, or Zen in the Art of Writing)

-I like to sew and embroider cool covers for regular notebooks from the drugstore

-handmade lap blankets or quilts

ChimeraCreative
10-31-2008, 11:45 PM
A writing table for the bed. Kinda like a breakfast in bed table that has an adjustable middle, so the notebook can sit up at an angle. The one I have is too narrow, it must have been made for a kid. >.<

-An

benbradley
11-01-2008, 01:32 AM
These are a few of my favorite things, and I've actually read most of these:

http://www.musicalgearbox.com/writebooks.JPG

See that orange one in the middle titled "how to write best selling fiction" - that's the one a lot of writers don't have and want. Mine's not for sale.

benbradley
11-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Trade the ink cartridges for a laser printer and an extra toner cartridge - it's faster and a lot less expensive.

MatchmakerJane
11-01-2008, 02:01 AM
I thought of something else.

I don't know about you guys but I get sore neck, shoulders and back from writing. So someone paying for weekly massages would be heaven.

RickN
11-01-2008, 05:49 AM
I don't know about you guys but I get sore neck, shoulders and back from writing. So someone paying for weekly massages would be heaven.

I know if I my wife ever caught me getting a massage in my house that's the excuse I'd try.

"She was a gift, honey. I have 'writer's shoulder'. It would have been rude to refuse."

Polenth
11-01-2008, 09:04 AM
I thought of something else.

That sounds like a posture issue. I used to have issues, till I realised what the problem was. I wasn't able to place my feet comfortably on the floor. I didn't consciously realise I was uncomfortable, but looking back I was always fidgeting and crossing my legs to try and raise them.

I got a footrest. Very simple, but the pain went away.

c2ckim
11-01-2008, 03:47 PM
A new office chair, a bigger ashtray, a coffee pot for the office where I write

tehuti88
11-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Wildest fantasy ideas...?

I'd like some devoted fans the most. Ones who actually stick around for the entire story and speak up if they enjoy it--with more than just "Great story, please write more." I'd like to connect to somebody and make a friend out of them. Somebody like me (only with more confidence). Somebody to just chatter inanely with about what we're interested in and writing about. Who won't suddenly stop writing and disappear on me. A longtime friend.

I've already got a computer to type on and know how to write, so that's my wildest gift fantasy.

inkkognito
11-01-2008, 07:02 PM
The best writing-related gift I ever got was via a random act of kindness. I was around 9 years old and our neighbor knew I wanted to be a writer so he gave me an old copy of Writers Market 1963. It opened up a whole new world to me since it gave me evidence that people actually made a living at writing...and now I had the instruction manual.

Back in my initial writing days friends always gifted me with stuff like reams of paper, sheet protectors, stamps, envelopes and the like. Nowadays I guess the best writing gift I could get would be a current Writers Market, although I usually buy it the minute it comes out myself, or some new ink cartridges so I don't have to brave the hell that is Wal-Mart and stamps so I can avoid the post office.

stormie
11-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I got a footrest. Very simple, but the pain went away.
That's what I use, but I have to. My feet don't touch the floor. (I can't lower the chair anymore or I'll be looking up at the computer screen.) But I rest my legs on the stool and that sort of helps my lower back.

ascribe
11-06-2008, 12:04 AM
A lovely chunky ink pen that feels weighty. I do most of my work on the computer but I'd love one to make notes and jot ideas down. A cheap biro just isn't the same.

sunna
11-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Can't-afford-it-but-dreaming gifts:

This (http://www.homeofficesolutions.com/product-exec/product_id/382/pn/HT_136_Massage_Chair) and a good laptop.
A Kindle.

Sensible hoping-to-get-one-for-xmas gifts:

Heated foot rest (http://www.lifewithease.com/toastytoes.html)
Chair pad massager (http://www.lnt.com/sm-homedics-therapist-select-shiatsu-massaging-cushion-with-heat--pi-2781433.html)- tried this while waiting at the doc's the other day, and mmmmn.

Mr Flibble
11-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I want one of these. (http://dhlogcabins.co.uk/uk/product/177/1279/carsare-a) Put it up in the local forest ( we haz a dragon!) with some leccy, a kettle, a beer fridge and a PC.

I keep telling my Old Man that's what I want - He keeps ignoring me. *Sigh* It's like when he asks me what I want for my birthday and I say 'to be a kept woman'. I never get what I ask for :cry:

s.w. Gamble
11-06-2008, 01:07 AM
I would say books or one of my favorite presents I received was a leather notebook with my pseudonym engraved.

Mumbleduck
11-07-2008, 07:20 AM
For Christmas this year, I've been asking for gift certificates for online classes with the Gotham Writers Workshop (www.writingclasses.com). I work full-time, and don't have the qualifications I need to get into university, so this is the best I can do right now. But if I build up a portfolio, hopefully I'll be able to apply for English degree courses as a mature student...then all I'd need for Christmas would be a rich benefactor to pay my tuition fees!

BenPanced
11-07-2008, 08:54 AM
A Moleskine notebook and a really nice pen.

A gift certificate/card to an office supply store.

A pound of their favorite coffee or a box of their favorite tea.

A nice mug to go with the coffee or tea.

Some homemade nibbles to go with the coffee or tea. Two dozen cookies, a loaf of bread, some cupcakes - heck, nothing says "I love you" like a homemade gift!

A gift card/certificate to their favorite bookstore.

A nice backpack to carry all of the above.

Eldritch
11-12-2008, 06:18 AM
A cat.
The really great writers always have a cat nearby.

Barb D
11-12-2008, 10:47 AM
A cat.
The really great writers always have a cat nearby.

As I type, my cat is about 6 inches away. She can't be on my lap because that's where my - laptop is.

Speaking of laptops and laps, I adore my chill pad. It actually has a little built-in fan, and plugs into a USB port. Without it my laptop gets quite warm on my lap, and I hate being hot.

I'm another one who would love Starbucks gift certificates, and B&N. Post-it flags would be a good stocking stuffer.

I'd love a really lightweight laptop case. The case I have is pretty heavy, and makes transporting my laptop much more cumbersome. As long as I'm wishing, though, how about a MacBook Air?

StoryG27
11-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Hmm, I'd like:

A writing class or conference

Gift certificate to any bookstore

Books on writing (or any books really)

and if it's not too much to ask, I'd really like:
A five book contract with a major publishing house

regdog
11-12-2008, 04:14 PM
An endless supply of computers so when the screen freezes, or the flie disappears, or the system shuts down, etc etc i can safely bash the crap out each said computer :Hammer:

Ageless Stranger
11-12-2008, 06:22 PM
*A large leather bound journal/grimoire.

*A large amount of tobacco and a pipe.

* Oscar Wilde's skeleton.

jessicaorr
11-12-2008, 07:00 PM
I'd like a nanny too. Oh, that and a two story abbey style library furnished with a spiral staircase, floor to ceiling glass enclosed shelves, complete Oxford English Dictionary, antique roll top desk and a one-million dollar amazon.com gift card. Am I greedy? It's just a small wish...