PDA

View Full Version : OMG-- I might get my dream house!

Clair Dickson
10-31-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm so excited, so anxious, and I don't know how I'm going to get through the rest of this day.

Backstory-- Hubby and I have been looking for a house for quite some time now. We're at an odd place in our lives. We've got some savings, but not much in monthly income. We want to be close to town because I often work split shifts at my teaching job (9a-2p, then 530-10p). It would also be closer to Hubby's work. We want a house that will hold the 3 kids we *want* to have (and want to start making shortly after moving in.) We're around our 30s and ready to start a family. Or as ready as any deluded not-yet-a-parent can be. But we can't really afford a house with the space we want.

The Michigan housing market is one of the worst for foreclosures. But it's been that way for a couple years. THere are not very many houses on the market at this point. Most of them are two big in price or too small in space. Since the market is so bad it's not a good idea to do what people used to-- buy a house for a handful of years then move on. It would not be a good financial plan in this market (and I'm not will to bank on it improving that soon!)

The Dream House
Last year we (Hubby) spotted this house for sale. It was a couple (20) thousand outside the top of our price range. Hubby fell in love with it. It's a really nice house, no doubt, but we were never going to be able to afford it. Would love it-- layout's great, location is near perfect. Great house. For someone with money.

Fast forward to April this year. I'm driving down the road (it's one the back ways to our current home.) I pass "my" house and see the grass is like, eye ball high. On a house that was meticulously maintained before. I have my real estate license, so I speed home and check the records. Sure enough, the house went into foreclosure and was sold at Sheriff's Auction. OMFG! (Of course, we missed it-- we could have totally afforded the auction price.)

So we wait. A foreclosed property has a 6 month redemption period where the homeowners can pay up and keep the house. Months creep by.

Then, today. The property has just been listed by the bank that purchased it in the foreclosure auction. Not only is it affordable, it's a great price. (Thank you craptacular Michigan economy!) So, we're going to go see it after Hubby gets off work.

And hopefully write an offer this afternoon. We've already seen the house once (and I admit I spied in the windows after it was foreclosed.)

We might possible get our dream house. My hands are shaking. This is going to be the longest afternoon of my entire life. (It'd be easier if Hubby was here, we could giggle nervously and pass the time dreaming about "our" house.)

Wanted to share. Need to do something to occupy myself. I have "my" house on the brain. Dreaming about having our babies there... I might even get a cat for Christmas. Finally.

Send positive thoughts my way!

Updated here. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2907893&postcount=14)

New Update (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2922372&postcount=18)

Mela
10-31-2008, 08:33 PM
From someone who couldn't buy her dream house:
My fingers are crossed for you--
nothing but good vibes going your way.
What kind of house is it? Colonial? Ranch? Nice yard?

Clair Dickson
10-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Mela--
It's a quad level (1980s) half flight up to the bedrooms, half flight down to lower level, and another half flight down to the basement. Acre of a yard. Updated kitchen. 2 car garage.

I keep thinking that somehow we'll still not get it.

My fingers are crossed too.

NeuroFizz
10-31-2008, 08:53 PM
All the best of luck on this, Claire.

dobiwon
10-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Mela--
I keep thinking that somehow we'll still not get it.
Don't think that way--see my sig line.

Good luck.

Pagey's_Girl
10-31-2008, 09:16 PM
You WILL get you dream home, you will, you will, you will.....

Sending many good vibes your way.

euclid
10-31-2008, 09:50 PM
We waited 6 months for our dream house. We got it in the end. Fingers crossed for you both, Clair. An acre! sounds great! Lots of grass to cut.

:)

Jersey Chick
10-31-2008, 10:36 PM
For someone who's in her dream house (that we kind of lucked into finding - thanks Mom!) I'm sending all the most positive, house-e-licious vibes I can muster your way! :)

regdog
10-31-2008, 10:42 PM
Good luck, finger crossed for you

Bubastes
10-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed! How exciting!

Shadow_Ferret
10-31-2008, 11:07 PM
Good luck, clair.

We couldn't afford our dream house, so we bought a starter dream house. Kind of like a day dream house.

maestrowork
10-31-2008, 11:09 PM
I can never afford my dream house (which was last listed at $875,000).

Good luck!

quickWit
11-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Good Luck Clair!

Clair Dickson
11-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Update: We have just submitted a strong offer on the house.

More than likely we'll have to wait at least 5 business days before the bank even looks at it. But we're offering a good price and faxed everything over today.

Keep thinking positive thoughts. This is going to be a long week. =)

(And thanks for the positive thoughts sent.)

I'll update when I hear anything new.

joyce
11-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Good luck and I hope you get it!

smoothseas
11-01-2008, 02:41 AM
Fingers crossed. Here's hopin'....

Susie
11-01-2008, 02:49 AM
Much good luck, Clair.

Clair Dickson
11-05-2008, 04:16 AM
New Update--
We got a counter-offer today. The changes were ridiculously small (like increasing the Earnest Money Down from 1,000 to 1,500). :e2thud: I tried calling the agent to see if I could email her the amended purchase offer tonight, but got no response. So I'll fax it tomorrow from the Real Estate Office. Then, we wait some more. But it looks so good right now!

I was totally not expecting an answer this quickly. I had *just* settled down for The Long Wait. And now I'm all worked up again.

Squeeeeeal....!:e2woo:

quickWit
11-05-2008, 04:44 AM
Woo Hoo! I've got my fingers crossed for you Clair!

Alpha Echo
11-05-2008, 04:47 AM
Yay! Congrats! From someone who shouldn't have bought the house she did...I hope this works out well for you!!! It's such an awesome feeling to buy a home, let alone your DREAM home!