Science Talk

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
OK, I have a story I'm creating where one of the characters has to build a time machine, so I need some science talk (beyond what I've heard on Star Trek and Back to the Future). If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :D

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
This American Life has an episode that includes a piece about a man who tried to build a time machine to contact his dead father. The piece is true; the man is a genuine physicist; you find the story here.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
There was a good episode of Nova (the US public broadcasting science program) about time travel; the website has lots of good resources to follow up.

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing that sounds stupider than a non-science person trying to sound scientific is a time machine plot where the author tries to explain how he's traveling through time. If you must have a time travel plot don't try to explain how you are doing it or you will sound stupid, too, no matter how much jargon you throw at it.

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
I never planned on fully explaining it. The main characters are confused as he's talking, so I've kinda got the idea that even he might not know what he's talking about, but hey, his machine works! How does that sound?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Michael Crichton explains how his time machine sends people back in time in "Timeline" but then there's a separate machine that brings people back to the present, and there's a really "out-there" explanation of how that machine comes into existence. But you shouldn't necessarily base what you do on Crichton anyway.

Rereading this, your character has to BUILD the machine. I agree you shouldn't go into too much detail, but in the spirit of these things, one component your character should say it uses is a dielectric inductor.