JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
The character(s) or the plot? Why?

For me, it's the main character. I don't really know why. I can see/hear my characters. I had one walking around in my head for two weeks telling me all about herself. She refused to tell me her name, though. Then one day I was washing my hair and she told me her name. I bumped my head on the water faucet. lol.

Next? :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Character and story (or at least a framework). They're EQUALLY important to me.

Plot (by which I mean the turns of events, etc.) comes naturally through characters and basic story framework.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
maestrowork said:
Character and story (or at least a framework). They're EQUALLY important to me.

Plot (by which I mean the turns of events, etc.) comes naturally through characters and basic story framework.

Dang, you're fast. lol.

I think character & story more or less go hand in hand for me, because I understand what you're saying. In telling about themselves, it always brings up the basic story also.

I have a couple friends/acquaintances who say they come up with the plot first and then come up with the characters to "plug in." It shows, IMO, because it reads rather... stilted/wooden.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I plot outwards from scenes and situations that occur to me--so I guess I can't give a 'first'. I have to create both the people that would act the way I have 'seen' and the plot that would bring it about.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
veinglory said:
I plot outwards from scenes and situations that occur to me--so I guess I can't give a 'first'. I have to create both the people that would act the way I have 'seen' and the plot that would bring it about.

That makes more sense to me than coming up with the plot first and then plugging in one-dimensional characters to people the piece.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
LightShadow said:
Both. Sort of. Create a character first, stick him/her into the situation, and watch him/her grow as the story thickens. Other characters will materialize as the plot progresses.

With the way my characters come to me, I think it's safe to say this is how I work.

Status
Not open for further replies.