Ladies a little help?

Eskimo1990

is here :)
Registered
Reaction score
I think after I turn 18 I want to go on birth control.
I didn't use to have bad cramps, but with each period they seem to get worse.
Plus my cycle is always super long and I hate it.
So I know birth control will reduce both those things.

What is the best kind of birth control for me?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
It's different for everyone, but I went on it initially for the same reason - I was having horrendous cramps and really irregular periods. I would talk to your gynecologist. A lot depends on what method you want to use (ie remember to take pills every day, patch, or whatever), and also on whether you plan to be sexually active. If you're not, the gyn would probably recommend a very "mild" birth control. And some brands work for some people but not others. Right now I am on yasmin and I am quite happy with it. Gyn told me last time they just came out with a lighter-hormone version for women under 180lbs, but I didn't go for it because it has a higher risk of pregnancy and I don't want no babies. :)

Anyway, like I said, go see the gyn. She'll have the best recommendations and ask you questions to see which is best for you.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to assist you - but the only real advice anyone here can give you is to see a doctor or go to planned parenthood and get real advice from a medical professional.

The information you provide is not nearly enough for one of us to suggest anything appropriate for you.

You could smoke (which may affect BC choice).
You could have a diagnosed (or undiagnosed) medical condition that prohibits certain things we could tell you and which you have not disclosed.
You could be in a category that makes you high risk for certain hormones that may harm you.

There are many factors and even if we suggested a type of pill or gave a name of one, your doctor is going to suggest what is best for you based on your medical history anyway.

Please, just see a doctor or go to planned parenthood where a full history can be taken and the proper medical advice given.

Christine

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, see the gyn about it and then be prepared to switch and change methods until you find what works right for you. I tried the pills when I was about 17 or so for the same reason, but they made my cramps worse. It seems that all methods of birth control had adverse effects on my body. I tried the depo shot. Most of my friends swear by those that they have almost no period and no cramps. Well, didn't work for me. I had the complete opposite effects. Then about 10 years later, when I was ready for birth control again, (after my second child) I used the patch. I only used it for a year, but I still have a rash-like scar at the bottom of my back, top of my butt, from where it felt like it burned me, and that was 4 years ago. But I have many friends who have used all of these and loved them, my body just didn't agree. So, yeah, see the gyn and try what she recommends for your body type and situation.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score

Umm I don't have a gynecologist...

It is not required you have a OB/GYN. You can get the same from your General Practitioner or your family doctor.

Planned Parenthood is always a great option too.

Please do not seek medical advice like this on a public forum. It is not only unwise, it can be dangerous.

Christine

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I didn't realize birth control pills were that complicated....

I don't smoke btw...it's a nasty habit I think

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Well, it's kinda hard to get birth control without one; you need a prescription. Anyway, if you'll be 18 soon you probably want to go in for a routine checkup anyway. See, they have this racket going where they only give you a prescription for a year, and then you have to come in for an annual probe before they'll give you any more. (I think it's ridiculous - birth control should be available over the counter - but that's life.)

Incidentally, it's just a good idea in general to get yourself checked out. I was super shy and I managed to get married without having a full exam. Unfortunately something WAS physically wrong and I spent half my honeymoon making an emergency trip home to see my gynecologist. NOT fun.

Entropy Perk

solipsistically derealized
Registered
Reaction score
The most isolated capital city in the world
At 18, you should have an OB/GYN. You need your yearly PAP smears and breast checks. If you do not have one because you have no medical insurance, then go to Planned Parenthood (even if you do have insurance, you can still go there and they will accept your policy). They will do your yearly and breast check and look at your iron levels ect.. Its pretty cheap, sliding scale, if you are without medical coverage. They can also give you birth control right there. You can take a pill (various sorts that they will explain to you) get the patch or the Depo shot (big fan of the shot here).

You really need to talk to a medical expert on what sort would be best for your lifestyle and health. Planned Parenthood has them available.

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what my mom told me when I had all that trouble with my side.
Unfortunately for me no one explained to me that when a doctor asks you if you are sexually active he actually means are you a virgin.... *shudders* stupid doctor.

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
At 18, you should have an OB/GYN. You need your yearly PAP smears and breast checks. If you do not have one because you have no medical insurance, then go to Planned Parenthood (even if you do have insurance, you can still go there and they will accept your policy). They will do your yearly and breast check and look at your iron levels ect.. Its pretty cheap, sliding scale, if you are without medical coverage. They can also give you birth control right there. You can take a pill (various sorts that they will explain to you) get the patch or the Depo shot (big fan of the shot here).

You really need to talk to a medical expert on what sort would be best for your lifestyle and health. Planned Parenthood has them available.

Not 18 yet. I still have 2 more months

Entropy Perk

solipsistically derealized
Registered
Reaction score
The most isolated capital city in the world
Doesn't matter on age really. You should go after you start your period, for checks. 18 is an age given, because you are then a legal adult and no one can stop you from going on your own. Under 18, a parent could stop you, but no doctor would refuse to see you if you went behind their backs, nor can they legally tell them you have been in to see them. Also, apparently most young women are sexually active in some manner, by 18 so need STD and pregnancy checks.

When they ask if you are sexually active, the reason they put it that way, is because you can still get pregnant or an STD without ever having had intercourse. Oral or anal sex is commonly done and the medical personal need to know if you are engaging in either practice, so that they can offer you safe, correct health advice.

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I know. But that's what this doctor meant

I always thought sexually active meant have you done ANYTHING sexual. Not just intercourse....

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, now I get you. Odd that he only meant that. I hate seeing male doctors though. Anything female, they only know from books. I'd rather to talk to someone with the same parts, iykwim.

Yeah. Well that's not what I went for. But when he couldn't figure out was wrong so he turned to maybe I have an STD...which I don't...

But now I don't exactly like that doctor...

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Eskimo, I went to my doctor a while back for the same reason, and she refused to put me on the pill. She told me to take extra calcium. So I'm taking Mega-Cal, in addition to drinking lots of milk, and it works!

You might want to try that first, because it's really helped me, and without all the drugs. No prescription required, either. :)

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
Eskimo, I went to my doctor a while back for the same reason, and she refused to put me on the pill. She told me to take extra calcium. So I'm taking Mega-Cal, in addition to drinking lots of milk, and it works!

You might want to try that first, because it's really helped me, and without all the drugs. No prescription required, either. :)

Really?

I have a really hard time swallowing pills, so generally when I get cramps if I can I'll drink lots of milk and it tends to help.

The last time I had REALLY bad cramps, I thought I was lactose intolerant so I didn't do the milk thing

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Really?

I have a really hard time swallowing pills, so generally when I get cramps if I can I'll drink lots of milk and it tends to help.

The last time I had REALLY bad cramps, I thought I was lactose intolerant so I didn't do the milk thing

Mega-Cal is soft chews, and they come in two flavours: Butterscotch and chocolate. It's like being forced to eat candy. :D

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I think the last package I bought was about twelve dollars Canadian. The main problem I can see you having is that they might be available only in Canada. :(

Anyhow, just read some of the stuff upthread about finding a doctor--if you don't have a regular doctor, does your school have a nurse or doctor you could see?

Eskimo1990

Registered
Reaction score
I think the last package I bought was about twelve dollars Canadian. The main problem I can see you having is that they might be available only in Canada. :(

Anyhow, just read some of the stuff upthread about finding a doctor--if you don't have a regular doctor, does your school have a nurse or doctor you could see?

Man that would suck...maybe...if that's the case I could have them shipped from the internet? Though that would cost some.

HA...no...
My school is kind of sucky.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Man that would suck...maybe...if that's the case I could have them shipped from the internet? Though that would cost some.

If you type "mega cal soft chews" into Google, the third or fourth entry down is an online source for them.

But try your local grocery stores and pharmacies first. If they don't have them they may be able to get them.

Give it about a month of regularly taking them before you decide whether or not they work for you.

Last edited:

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I think after I turn 18 I want to go on birth control.
I didn't use to have bad cramps, but with each period they seem to get worse.
Plus my cycle is always super long and I hate it.
So I know birth control will reduce both those things.

What is the best kind of birth control for me?

Sounds like someone's got a steady boyfriend...

snicker snicker neener neener.

Are you responsible enough for birth control? If you aren't going to be ON IT as in "on time" don't bother. Cause if it doesn't fail you it will make you sick when you have to double up. The pill has side effects, and it also has great benefits...one is little to no risk or pregnancy, but yes you'll have scheduled mild periods, and no ovulating and if you're like me, ovulating is worse than your period.

Talk to your doctor. See what works for you.

I've heard a lot of negatives about Depo....so do your homework.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
It's different for everyone, but I went on it initially for the same reason - I was having horrendous cramps and really irregular periods. I would talk to your gynecologist. A lot depends on what method you want to use (ie remember to take pills every day, patch, or whatever), and also on whether you plan to be sexually active. If you're not, the gyn would probably recommend a very "mild" birth control. And some brands work for some people but not others. Right now I am on yasmin and I am quite happy with it. Gyn told me last time they just came out with a lighter-hormone version for women under 180lbs, but I didn't go for it because it has a higher risk of pregnancy and I don't want no babies. :)

Anyway, like I said, go see the gyn. She'll have the best recommendations and ask you questions to see which is best for you.

The patch wasn't strong enough for me. I've also heard good things about Yasmin.

Keep in mind, birthcontrol pills will not protect you from STD's. One you should really be cautious of is HPV. If anything, go get THAT shot. Guys - boyfriends or not - see the pill as an easy out for being careful. Don't be stupid. Take care of yourself.