The Economy Has Struck My House And I'm Numb....

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
My hubby came home tonight to tell me he'd be getting laid off in another three weeks. Thank goodness they warned him, but it didn't make it feel any better. My mind feels like I've entered the Twilight Zone but I know the full effect hasn't hit me yet......my stomach isn't killing me. From what I hear, Florida hasn't raised its unemployment rate for over ten years so the max. is only $250/wk. Jobs are few and far between around here that pay anything over minimum wage. I keep saying to myself it's all going to work out and my dear home will be safe. At least I'm not mortgaged to the hilt like so many other people are. Still, this sucks big time and I'm still too numb to think. Sorry for dumping.:cry:

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, Joyce--that's so hard to deal with! My husband is working two jobs right now to keep us afloat--I never get to see him. :(

I'm thinking of you. {{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Thanks, good luck in your situation too. My husband is a workaholic so I know he'll have to keep going or he'll go insane and take me with him. I can't believe I'm not freaking out. I know I'm too numb to think right now.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, joyce. Will be thinking positive thoughts that you guys have some good luck coming your way.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. Hang in there. *hugs*

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
(((Hugs))) I remember when this happened in the Ol' Household... times were really tough; but in the end, it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to us. Ol' Boy ended up in a better place. Here's hoping the same thing happens to y'all. (((Hugs again)))

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I hope everything works out for you both :Hug2:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
My hubby came home tonight to tell me he'd be getting laid off in another three weeks. Thank goodness they warned him, but it didn't make it feel any better. My mind feels like I've entered the Twilight Zone but I know the full effect hasn't hit me yet......my stomach isn't killing me. From what I hear, Florida hasn't raised its unemployment rate for over ten years so the max. is only $250/wk. Jobs are few and far between around here that pay anything over minimum wage. I keep saying to myself it's all going to work out and my dear home will be safe. At least I'm not mortgaged to the hilt like so many other people are. Still, this sucks big time and I'm still too numb to think. Sorry for dumping.:cry:
I'm right there with you. I was laid off on September 30, and my unemployment is pretty comparable to what Florida has.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: I'm so sorry, Joyce. These times are so scary. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks everyone. Your kind words mean so much to me. I know I'm not the only one out there going through this but I still feel like I've got a brick in my gut. I want to sit down and cry my eyes out but I also know that won't help. I hope this just means something better is coming out way.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
The same thing happened to me at age 49. My life changed direction, I switched to a new way of making a living and never looked back. It happened to my brother too, last year (at about the same age). He set up his own business and he has never been happier.

Sometimes these things turn out really well. I hope it works like that for you, too.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the news, but yep, time for some creative brainstorming! Like the stories told above, I, too, have never heard of something like this turning out to be near as bad as first imagined. I was a single mom and got fired, and for one day I thought, oh my god, what am I going to do? Turned out to be the best thing evah, I got a better job on day 2, making almost twice as much money.

Right now, be serious about trimming expenses. I know, you probably think there's nothing to trim, but there most likely is. Look at your income and his UE and figure out a way to live on that, at least for the short-term. You'll feel better knowing that you guys can ride it out. And encourage your hubby to use this time to really think about what he wants to do. Focus on the top, and don't look down!

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm feeling down, I think of how much worse it could be. That helps me somewhat. Good luck with securing another job for your husband. Let's hope this global finance problem dies down soon.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
joyce, I'm so sorry. Prayers are headed your way, and (((((((((HUGS))))))) Sure hope he gets another job very soon.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Your kind words mean so much to me. I know I'm not the only one out there going through this but I still feel like I've got a brick in my gut. I want to sit down and cry my eyes out but I also know that won't help. I hope this just means something better is coming out way.

Joyce I know a little of that feeling - my husband was laid off 2 years ago and was unemployed for 6 mos. We fell behind in our mortgage - it was a horror. When he returned to work he had to take a $15K cut in salary. Things are better now but we still miss that salary - property taxes in our little corner of Jersey are killing us.

Resourceful humans do what they have to to survive - I'm sure you and your husband will work together. And you're right - at least you were prepared and not totally blindsided.

My thoughts will be with you. :LilLove: