PDA

View Full Version : The Economy Has Struck My House And I'm Numb....

joyce
10-31-2008, 05:13 AM
My hubby came home tonight to tell me he'd be getting laid off in another three weeks. Thank goodness they warned him, but it didn't make it feel any better. My mind feels like I've entered the Twilight Zone but I know the full effect hasn't hit me yet......my stomach isn't killing me. From what I hear, Florida hasn't raised its unemployment rate for over ten years so the max. is only $250/wk. Jobs are few and far between around here that pay anything over minimum wage. I keep saying to myself it's all going to work out and my dear home will be safe. At least I'm not mortgaged to the hilt like so many other people are. Still, this sucks big time and I'm still too numb to think. Sorry for dumping.:cry:

mscelina
10-31-2008, 05:21 AM
Oh, Joyce--that's so hard to deal with! My husband is working two jobs right now to keep us afloat--I never get to see him. :(

I'm thinking of you. {{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Calla Lily
10-31-2008, 05:25 AM
{{{Joyce}}}

joyce
10-31-2008, 05:26 AM
Oh, Joyce--that's so hard to deal with! My husband is working two jobs right now to keep us afloat--I never get to see him. :(

I'm thinking of you. {{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Thanks, good luck in your situation too. My husband is a workaholic so I know he'll have to keep going or he'll go insane and take me with him. I can't believe I'm not freaking out. I know I'm too numb to think right now.

Judg
10-31-2008, 05:52 AM
Joyce, I'm so sorry to hear about this. Hugs and prayers.

C.bronco
10-31-2008, 06:07 AM
Good luck Joyce! I hope it works out for you.

MsK
10-31-2008, 06:19 AM
Sorry to hear that, joyce. Will be thinking positive thoughts that you guys have some good luck coming your way.

Yeshanu
10-31-2008, 07:25 AM
(((Hugs)))

vfury
10-31-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm so sorry. Hang in there. *hugs*

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-31-2008, 04:22 PM
(((Hugs))) I remember when this happened in the Ol' Household... times were really tough; but in the end, it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to us. Ol' Boy ended up in a better place. Here's hoping the same thing happens to y'all. (((Hugs again)))

Komnena
10-31-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm very sorry to hear your bad news.

regdog
10-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry, I hope everything works out for you both :Hug2:

Carole
10-31-2008, 04:33 PM
My hubby came home tonight to tell me he'd be getting laid off in another three weeks. Thank goodness they warned him, but it didn't make it feel any better. My mind feels like I've entered the Twilight Zone but I know the full effect hasn't hit me yet......my stomach isn't killing me. From what I hear, Florida hasn't raised its unemployment rate for over ten years so the max. is only $250/wk. Jobs are few and far between around here that pay anything over minimum wage. I keep saying to myself it's all going to work out and my dear home will be safe. At least I'm not mortgaged to the hilt like so many other people are. Still, this sucks big time and I'm still too numb to think. Sorry for dumping.:cry:
I'm right there with you. I was laid off on September 30, and my unemployment is pretty comparable to what Florida has.

Jersey Chick
10-31-2008, 04:46 PM
{{{HUGS}}}

I'm sorry to hear about the bad news... Hopefully things will pick up real soon.

Mandy-Jane
10-31-2008, 04:52 PM
:Hug2:

Alpha Echo
10-31-2008, 04:52 PM
:Hug2: I'm so sorry, Joyce. These times are so scary. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pagey's_Girl
10-31-2008, 04:54 PM
(((hugs)))

joyce
10-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks everyone. Your kind words mean so much to me. I know I'm not the only one out there going through this but I still feel like I've got a brick in my gut. I want to sit down and cry my eyes out but I also know that won't help. I hope this just means something better is coming out way.

stormie
10-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Oh, Joyce! We're here for you. :Hug2:

euclid
10-31-2008, 10:04 PM
The same thing happened to me at age 49. My life changed direction, I switched to a new way of making a living and never looked back. It happened to my brother too, last year (at about the same age). He set up his own business and he has never been happier.

Sometimes these things turn out really well. I hope it works like that for you, too.

Siddow
10-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Sorry about the news, but yep, time for some creative brainstorming! Like the stories told above, I, too, have never heard of something like this turning out to be near as bad as first imagined. I was a single mom and got fired, and for one day I thought, oh my god, what am I going to do? Turned out to be the best thing evah, I got a better job on day 2, making almost twice as much money.

Right now, be serious about trimming expenses. I know, you probably think there's nothing to trim, but there most likely is. Look at your income and his UE and figure out a way to live on that, at least for the short-term. You'll feel better knowing that you guys can ride it out. And encourage your hubby to use this time to really think about what he wants to do. Focus on the top, and don't look down!

Darzian
10-31-2008, 10:14 PM
When I'm feeling down, I think of how much worse it could be. That helps me somewhat. Good luck with securing another job for your husband. Let's hope this global finance problem dies down soon.

Susie
10-31-2008, 10:17 PM
joyce, I'm so sorry. Prayers are headed your way, and (((((((((HUGS))))))) Sure hope he gets another job very soon.

quickWit
10-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear the news Joyce. Embrace the opportunity. I hope all goes well for you.

Peace :)

Mela
10-31-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks everyone. Your kind words mean so much to me. I know I'm not the only one out there going through this but I still feel like I've got a brick in my gut. I want to sit down and cry my eyes out but I also know that won't help. I hope this just means something better is coming out way.

Joyce I know a little of that feeling - my husband was laid off 2 years ago and was unemployed for 6 mos. We fell behind in our mortgage - it was a horror. When he returned to work he had to take a $15K cut in salary. Things are better now but we still miss that salary - property taxes in our little corner of Jersey are killing us.

Resourceful humans do what they have to to survive - I'm sure you and your husband will work together. And you're right - at least you were prepared and not totally blindsided.

My thoughts will be with you. :LilLove:

joyce
10-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks again everyone. I know I just need 48 hours of freaking out then the old stubborn woman will kick in. Now if I can just stop thinking about my daughter's last 5 months of college and how in heck we're going to do it. Stop thinking Joyce, stop thinking Joyce.......

MaryMumsy
10-31-2008, 11:27 PM
You can do it. You need to look at every penny you spend, and cut out things that are unnecessary even if it hurts. Do you really NEED cable TV (if you have it)? Your daughter may need to get a part time job to help out with her college costs. I worked part time for the last four years I was in college. And in grad school my assorted part time things (all related to the uni) paid for everything except the ins on my car. My folks paid for that since I was on their policy anyway. Tighten the belt till you think it can't go any tighter, then do one more notch. You will make it, and come out the other side doing even better.

MM

Fenika
11-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Hang in there Joyce :Hug2:

joyce
11-01-2008, 12:55 AM
You can do it. You need to look at every penny you spend, and cut out things that are unnecessary even if it hurts. Do you really NEED cable TV (if you have it)? Your daughter may need to get a part time job to help out with her college costs. I worked part time for the last four years I was in college. And in grad school my assorted part time things (all related to the uni) paid for everything except the ins on my car. My folks paid for that since I was on their policy anyway. Tighten the belt till you think it can't go any tighter, then do one more notch. You will make it, and come out the other side doing even better.

MM

I'm positive the belt can go a few notches tighter than it already is.LOL I don't pay for all my kids tuition, I just help her get by. She's going to college full-time, interns 3 days a week and works 2 jobs, plus pays housing, student loans etc. She's a great daughter that is more responsible at 24 than I ever thought about being at that age. Thank goodness she's going to graduate as a Physical Therapist. I figure no matter how ill this economy gets there will always be sick people. At least someone in the family might find employment.:D

Fenika
11-01-2008, 09:56 PM
How's everything going for you today, Joyce?

Beach Bunny
11-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Oh, Joyce, I am sorry to hear this. :Hug2: Here's hoping that things will turn out a thousand times better in the long run.

joyce
11-01-2008, 10:42 PM
How's everything going for you today, Joyce?

Thanks for asking. I'm trying not to think too hard. I just keep saying to myself everything will work out ok.

Southern_girl29
11-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Big hugs to you. I lost my job on Monday. Luckily, I didn't make a lot at that job so we'll be ok with my unemployment, but I would be freaking out myself if it was my husband who had lost his job. Again, big hugs to you.

joyce
11-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Big hugs to you. I lost my job on Monday. Luckily, I didn't make a lot at that job so we'll be ok with my unemployment, but I would be freaking out myself if it was my husband who had lost his job. Again, big hugs to you.

This is why I'm freaking out but trying not to. Hubby is the big bread winner and unemployment is about 1/3 of what he made. My job is enough to put food on the table but not much more. Best of wishes to you.