Shuriken

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know about these little babies? All I really know is that, unlike in movies and comics, they came in a variety of designs and were rarely used to inflict a killing wound.
However, small metallic throwing weapons fit perfectly for one of my characters, and I'm wondering if someone can tell me which is better: The long, pointy, nail-like ones, or the flat, circular ones. Does one have some distinct advantage over the other?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
The only difference I can imagine is that the heavier the shuriken, the more chance of its penetrating armor and/or stunning the victim. And the lighter it is, the greater the throwing range. Perhaps the pointy stars are intended for use against specific armor types, e.g. bamboo? Maybe your character might carry several types for different circumstances?

Just asking, have you ever read James Clavell's Shogun? Great book. There's a big drama sequence featuring a ninja attack upon a samurai stronghold. Their shurikens and caltrops (spikes thrown on the ground, that penetrate sandals) are coated with fast-acting poison, they wipe out dozens of samurai guards almost instantly. If your character doesn't have access to ninja poisons, forget I spoke. :)

-Derek

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
disclaimer: I have never handled a shuriken, but I have thrown many objects with intent to hit other objects, so I have a vague understanding of what goes into throwing things :p

From my vast experience with throwing things (heh), long, pointy rod-like things tend to be harder to 'stick', but when they do, they REALLY stick. Hit it just right and there's quite a bit of penetration.

The circular shuriken would be easier to stick by virtue of more than one pointy end but I imagine the impact would be less, considering the way they're thrown (from what I have read and heard, anyway)

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
The best ones are the ones that look like three blades into one surface; they combine the slashing of the more circular blades and can stick like the nail ones. Better yet, they can be thrown like daggers (for more sticking potential) or like mini-discs (for range).

[If weapons are an interest at all, check out the Palladium Book of Weapons; it has some interesting stuff. Of course, AD&D 1st Edition Oriental Adventures has some interesting stuff as well. Also, Best of Dragon Magazine, vol 2 (I think) has some very interesting articles on ninja, including some exhaustive information on shuriken.]

FR

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Different styles for different uses.
Shuriken was intended to distract and cause an opening for another weapon. a throw to a face can cause a reflex reaction which would occupy a hand for an instant - more than enough time for a lethal blow with a sword, bo or knife or any other weapon or fist.
Some arts practiced nicking an opponent (in an abush or surprise attack) with poison coated shuriken. Why nick them you ask? Because if you stick him (or her I guess) you are giving someone a weapon to kill you back. So nick 'em and throw hard to put distance between you.

I prefer the target Shuriken, if I find a pic of one I will edit and post it here but I also throw Bo Shuriken which are spikes. They are capable of deadly throws and quite a bit more versatile.

I can hit a target much more accurate with a star AKA Hira Shuriken over long distance than a spike or Bo Shuriken which is mostly effective at 15' or less.

But the Bayonet is still my all time fav weapon.

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
I have thrown them and as far as weapons go, they pretty much suck. Killing someone with a shuriken is about like killing someone using a knife with a one-inch blade. Is it really possible?

They are, however, a decent distraction. From my experience, the ones that stick the best into wood and cardboard (since I don't make a habit of throwing them at living things) have longer, thinner blades. But these also tend to break pretty easily. The best combination of penetration and durability have six or eight triangular shaped blades. Weight helps too. The heavier, the better they will penetrate.

And everything sucks next to a well aimed firearm.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the target Shuriken, if I find a pic of one I will edit and post it here but I also throw Bo Shuriken which are spikes. They are capable of deadly throws and quite a bit more versatile.

I can hit a target much more accurate with a star AKA Hira Shuriken over long distance than a spike or Bo Shuriken which is mostly effective at 15' or less.

I guess I'll go with a star-type weapon then. The point for my character isn't to inflict terrible wounds, but to distract long enough to get in a killing blow with a sword.