New news: I've contracted for one more book for Arcadia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I've published three regional history books with Arcadia, the last one came out in 2005. Since then I wanted to concentrate on other writing endeavours including my novel which is still undergoing reconstruction.

However, in the back of my mind all this time was doing one more book for Arcadia. The Last One. This one is a pictorial book about the Beverly Hills Country Club in Southgate, KY.

Please see this link for a little more information.

In a nutshell, the BHCC started as an entertainment venue in the 1930s, was burned down, and reopened and became a showplace in the 1950s. It closed in the 1960s and reopened in the 1970s as the BH Supper Club and burned down in 1977 in a catastrophic fire which took 165 lives. The fire is the most remembered event about BH with two books written about it, but many people also remember the entertainment in the 1970s.

My book will focus on the 1950s.

One of the contacts who provided me with pictures and information for all three of my books played saxophone in the house band at BHCC in the 1950s. He took close to 300 pictures of the various acts that played on stage. These were huge, national acts from New York, Vegas, and California. These pictures are one-of-a-kind shots of performers either on stage, or backstage, or just relaxing off to the side.

Anyway, my contact is 85 years old and I thought it was time to get his pictures out of storage and into the public eye. He and I discussed doing this in 2004 but I never pursued it.

So, I hope this project won't take all of my time, what with a baby on the way, my car still undergoing restoration, and my novel being worked on, but it could actually prove to be the most popular of my books. BH is still a big topic around here, so people are going to (hopefully) really want this book.

That's the big news!

Allen

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Mike Lynch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikelynchbooks.blogspot.com
Congrats. My Arcadia book about Dublin, CA came out last year. It was a good experience for me as a writer, and I would recommend it for anyone who is trying to get published. It's nice getting that first writer's credit under their belt.

Mike

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Allen, that sounds pretty interesting! I'm sure it's a project you'll enjoy.

Maryn, with a congratulatory hug

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
So, I hope this project won't take all of my time, what with a baby on the way, my car still undergoing restoration, and my novel being worked on, but it could actually prove to be the most popular of my books. BH is still a big topic around here, so people are going to (hopefully) really want this book.

That's the big news!

Allen

Thats fabulous!

BTW......I'm downt to 4 day work weeks, which means I'll have 4 day wknds here and there...plenty of time to read, if you know what I mean. ;)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I know this is an old thread which is actually good in this case. Do you still publish with them? Just curious about them since they merged with History Press. Their books do sell well locally in my area too.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I know this is an old thread which is actually good in this case. Do you still publish with them? Just curious about them since they merged with History Press.

Sorry for the delay in my response. I know they merged with History Press, but since my Beverly Hills book, I haven't written anything more for them. And this is only because after my Beverly Hills book, I have written about all the local history subjects I care deeply about.

Much has changed in my life since then, and I think I'll open a thread in another forum to explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.