Rabbit in a Snare

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Rabbits squeal, but I would guess it would depend if its neck is caught rather than say a foot.

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
Surprisingly loud, actually. About the same as any other small animal...have you ever heard a small animal in pain before? If not, go to youtube and look up videos with animals attacking other animals. It's early right now so I'm too sleepy to find good keywords or anything like that.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, theyre loud. To escape, they've also been known to chew off a foot, if that's how they've been snared or trapped.

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
It's more of a scream. As a kid, me and my friends used to snare them.

My dad also gave me an ancient single shot .22 and I used it to shot rabbits that got into our cabbage patch.

Hosepheffer with cabbage mmm, mmm, good!

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a hunting expert, but I had to do some research on snares for an ex-poacher character. If you're using the bent tree/spring pole type of snare that snaps upright when the trigger's released, the bunny definitely won't make a sound; it's been hung and had its neck snapped. Click here and scroll down to The "Twitch Up" to see the type of snares I'm talking about. Hope this helps.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Loud enough to scare the crap out of you. When I was twenty and living on my own, I found a rabbit outside my apartment, it had been badly mauled by a cat and it was clear the poor thing was going to die. It was a very hot August afternoon and the little thing was out in the middle of a concrete sidewalk with no shelter.

All I wanted to do was pick it up and place it under a bush so it could die in peace.

I picked it up- It SQUEALED! I had no idea they made noise and it scared, well the crap out of me and I dropped it - on it's head - I gave it a peaceful death all right.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
It depends...

on the type of snare, as AZ Dawn says.

If a rabbit squeals it sounds like a child in terror. It is a hair raising sound and spooky if you've never heard it before.

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
on the type of snare, as AZ Dawn says.

If a rabbit squeals it sounds like a child in terror. It is a hair raising sound and spooky if you've never heard it before.

Like you say, it depends. When my friends and I snared rabbits, we were little boys and sometimes didn't get it right. Sometimes the snare wouldn't close until the rabit was almost through the loop so it would hang there by one paw. And yes, then it would scream until one of us nailed it in the head with a stick. Of course since the winters were very cold (-40), any rabbit that didn't die quickly was frozen stiff within 20 minutes.

I know that sounds cruel but bear in mind this was 50 years ago in a small northern community half of whom were Cree or Metis. You would not believe how proud a little boy of 9 could be and what a fuss his family made over him when he brought home a couple of rabbits.

If you liked a particular girl, you would cut off one the paws and give it to her. Thinking back it was a sort of cross cultural message, the rabbit's paw was good luck from the Irish/Scottish perspective and from the Cree/Metis perspective it meant you would be a good provider.