PDA

View Full Version : A Really Bad Day

Joe270
10-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Today was a horrible day. It sucked from beginning until, well, a little while ago.

So the lawyer sends an email that one of the banks has managed to kick out my bankruptcy. Yay, we get to go back in front of the judge. This whole deal sucks. I'm never getting shuck of it, ever. They will never let it go. I figure there's a royal screwing coming, because I started a business which has been really successful since the bankruptcy. Now that gets tossed into the mix. Buncha bastards.

Of course, then I'm all over town taking care of properties and new properties can be difficult to locate and have water, gas, or electric problems. One had the back door kicked in, but no other vandalism to note. Still, I lose time there. I lose a couple hours and miss picking up my kid from school. Other arrangements got made, but still, it sucks not being there for your kid when they expect it.

So then I'm working this evening, figuring I'd get home by eight or so, and all of a sudden, Mr. Truck no cranky. Turn key, click. Great.

So wife has to drive 'cross town for 45 minutes to get me, fetching the sopping wet kids from diving practice on the way. We purchase new battery (other one was a dealer battery from Dodge, only 18 months old). A jump didn't work. Correction, it did work, but the new vehicles won't run on the alternator alone. So release the jumper cables, car dies.

Did you folks know that? It's darned good to know, because a jump won't get you anywhere anymore. Nice step backward.

I got a battery from Walmart because, at the time, it was the only place I could get a car battery. My wife had to show the guy how to run his cash register because he didn't know how. The sad part: my wife doesn't know a damn thing about cash registers, she's a PhD Biochemistry Professor at UNLV, not a clerk.

But she's wicked smart. (Insert Good Will Hunting credit here.)

Okay, so the day sucked.

What didn't suck was the people who helped me out with the dead battery. A woman, Amy, home alone tried to jump my car, but her car was, as she described 'a piece of junk'. She tried. I was stunned, in this town, that she even opened the door. I gave her my card, explained who I was, and that I took care of the foreclosed home next to her.

She called me her 'sorta neighbor' and tried to help. I promised her that I'd wouldn't host any loud parties. She even invited me in for a soda. I declined as graciously as possible. I tried to pay her ten bucks for her trouble, but she'd hear none of that. So she calls her husband, Fred, and he's on the way home. He's an engineer with CBS.

He shows up minutes after my wife did, right when the truck cranked dandy with a jump, but died promptly after disconnecting the wires. He explained all that. So he meters everything for me. Yep, need a battery. He directs us to the Walmart, which we would have never seen, and called ahead to alert the Walmart staff to have someone at the Automotive Desk.

He helped me take out the battery, or tried, I had it almost done before he got there with tools, but he did have a light, which helped. I told him that I actually did have a flashlight in the truck, but, naturally, the batteries were dead. We got a chuckle out of that.

Fred provided that light to help me put in the new battery, and it suddenly died. His quip:

"Damn, you're hell on batteries, ain'tcha?" It took a bit to finish installing the battery after that because, to us all, that seemed the funniest thing we'd heard for years.

So we say our goodbyes, and take off. I'm most of the way home when I get a phone call. It's Fred. He got my number off the card I gave his wife. He just called because he wanted to be sure I got home okay.

Ya know, it was a pretty damn good day after all.

Cassiopeia
10-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Awww...Joey. What a day you had! Thanks for sharing that GREAT story. It made me laugh and I needed that today. It also picked my spirits up.

You see?! You see why I love AW!

You people are the greatest and I just love ya all.

:Hug2: I'm glad you made it home okay.

JoNightshade
10-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Wow. It's truly in adversity that the human spirit shines. :)

Joe270
10-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah, Cassio, sometimes when things really suck, people just walk up and make a bad time a wonderful experience.

I'm thinking of making up a 'night in at the movies' present'; a paper 'movie' bucket with a pack of microwave popcorn, a couple sodas, movie sized Milk Duds and Raisonettes and a $20Blockbuster gift card.

I'll change my routes to drop it off next Monday.

Cassiopeia
10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah, Cassio, sometimes when things really suck, people just walk up and make a bad time a wonderful experience.

I'm thinking of making up a 'night in at the movies' present'; a paper 'movie' bucket with a pack of microwave popcorn, a couple sodas, movie sized Milk Duds and Raisonettes and a $20Blockbuster gift card.

I'll change my routes to drop it off next Monday.That is such a great idea, Joey. You are a star!

Joe270
10-30-2008, 11:17 AM
I just know they'll like that. When she invited me inside, wow, I got a gander at their stereo/tv set up. That flat screen was bigger than 65", because a friend has a 65, and that looked bigger.

Heck, Fred's a CBS engineer, what would you expect?

Plus, they get to pick out the blu-ray of their choice. I'd bet we get an invite to join 'em.

Ya know what? We would drive all the way over there to join 'em for a 'night in at the movies', too. Besides, if we got too loaded to drive, I've got a place to crash right next door.

Inky
10-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Just when I think I'm surrounded by self-serving schmucks, the kindness of a total stranger not only baffles me, but renews my outlook towards society. It's almost like the human version of getting a jump...you feel recharged, renewed, and ready to face whatever bullshit with fresh gusto.

I'm glad you were able to have humanity during this nightmare...and discovered you have neighbors that are obviously of the mind set of what 'neighbor' means.

The 'hell on batteries' quip made me laugh...good one, Fred!

Joe270
10-30-2008, 11:56 AM
you feel recharged, renewed

It is like you say, but it's a renewed faith, a renewed spark that most folks are good people, people who will help each other when times aren't the best of times.

And it's their help that makes us want to 'pass it on' and help another, and it just keeps going.

Don't forget, they're helping out a 'villan' who makes a profit in foreclosures. I don't kick people out of their homes, heck, by the time I get 'em they're all vacant, and most of them are vacant 'speculator' homes, but I still get stigmatized. The houses are empty, I keep 'em from becoming boarded up nightmare blights on the neighborhoods. Well, I try, some just need to be burned to the ground, I got pics if folks want to see how bad some are. Bottom line is that I'm not involved in evictions, etc. I come in later, when people and HOAs are screaming that the house is killing their property values, then I get to diplomatically or forcefully solve the problems. Damn it, I'm a politician. Oh, now I need to trot off and shoot myself.

Crap.

ErylRavenwell
10-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Good luck with everything.

Joe270
10-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Uh, Raven, is that good luck on 'offing myself', or good luck with the 'villain forecloser' bit, or good luck with the bankruptcy?

I gotta find some insurance, quick.

ErylRavenwell
10-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Uh, Raven, is that good luck on 'offing myself', or good luck with the 'villain forecloser' bit, or good luck with the bankruptcy?

I gotta find some insurance, quick.

It's a very generic good luck, man. Do whatever you want with it. :D

Inky
10-30-2008, 02:19 PM
I can't stand broken down cars parked on the front lawn, the grass just about as high as the hood of said car, washers & dryers lining the side of the house, begging to be retired...while the rest of the 400k dollar homes in the neighborhood resemble the owners inside: pride, hardworking...yes, I've seen this in some of the most gorgeous neighborhoods...and you're right--I would NEVER buy a house on THAT street with THAT house...now, high grass because the spouse is deployed, or health issues...just like in base housing, we pull together & automatically do that yard...it's the last thing the left-behind spouse has time for...amongst several other excuses...but in the public domain, I dunno if that's the norm...to just automatically mow for your neighbor when you know they're 'down'. But the old cars, old machinery...gads...should be automatic grounds to boot your ass outa the neighborhood if you don't clean it up. Want a junk yard? Go rent the proper space for it!
So, your foreclosure bit...I think as long as you never lose your sensitivity to the subject, which you don't sound like you go in all loud and obnoxious & bad-mouthing previous tenent, then, to me, you're making a living, putting food on the table, roof over the head...okay, you have battery issues (:e2tongue:), but from what you described, you're not part of a person's misery, you're a solution long after the misery has passed.

Anyhoo...there'll be no offing of yourself. There, I have spoken. :ROFL:

sheadakota
10-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks so much for posting this. It is refreshing to know that there are nice people out there who do the right thing. I have seen it as well and it gives me hope for the species. It is a nice thing you are doing in return, a lot of people would not have bothered. Yay to you!

gypsyscarlett
10-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for posting that. With all the terrible things in the world- it's always wonderful to hear about good, decent people willing to help others.

And kudos to you, for seeing the bright side to this day.

Clair Dickson
10-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Those days are always something-- they seem like the Word Day Ever, but upon reflection there's too much good to make it bad. It's nice to find people who will help out.

As for flashlights-- you might consider picking up one of those shake-to-charge flashlights for the car. They're not *great* (at least the "cheap" ones aren't) but they're better than no light. Mine is perpetually charged and ready since it sits in the pocket of my car door... every accel/decel charges it. ;-) I'm a realtor and have taken it into foreclosed homes, in the dark. While it's no Big Mag-Lite, it does the job.

Glad things turned out, for one day. Best of luck with the bankruptcy. I'm hearing more and more that banks are being dicks about that sort of thing. Sucks.

Kateri
10-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Had a pretty crap day too dealing with things and people out of my control. Seems like the good people really shine for us in a dark day. We may never really appreciate it otherwise. Thanks for sharing your story.