OH I love AW!

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I don't know what I'd do without you people. I'm in the AW chatroom after a very stressful and hectic...well year and Power_Rangers just gave me the wonderful idea of having an auction to sell my house.

I am so excited!

So here I am coming to the people that I love and trust the most to find out if anyone of you have done it. How did it go and what do you all think?

Any information on how to get it done would be great!

Thanks ahead of time for the guaranteed funny posts and helpful hints and words of encouragement I know you guys and gals are going to give me.

And as always, kitteh pics are welcome. :)

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, Cassio, sorry about the stressful day, check out my new thread.

Glad you have a new avenue for the house, I hope it works out fantastic for ya.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
No stompings needed, it's here in OP, and you got there before I could reply.

You're fast, like lightning.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Wow these guys are good!

pr.jpg

-Derek

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Cas, my boss is - among other things - also an auctioneer and a realtor. He's auctioned many homes. If you like, I'll send you his number and I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you and explain the process. He can give you some tips for finding an auctioneer in your area.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't make the mistake a local family here did when they auctioned their unusual house (which is surely why it wasn't selling) several years ago. Set a bottom limit, the very lowest price you'd accept, and don't make it known except to the auctioneer. If nobody bids that high, no sale takes place. The auctioneer can inform bidders the minimum price has not been met without revealing what it is.

Oh, and establish increments of bids. You don't want people upping one another for a dollar. A thousand, maybe. Or five.

Maryn, sensible in some ways

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that it can cost money - if it doesn't sell then you've still got to pay for the advertising etc. So be pretty sure you're going to sell. Look in the papers. Here the Sunday paper gives a breakdown of all the properties auctioned the last week; which were turned in, how much the others achieved etc. A little homework will give you the stats on how well things are selling by auction.

To make the place more attractive when people come looking around I've been told to have coffee cooking or bread baking or something like that. Makes a house seem like a home.

Buy a mob of annuals which are flowering at the moment for the garden so it's a display of colour. Plant them a couple of days before the event so they look like they belong.

Otherwise, good luck. I hope you get a good profit.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Cas, my boss is - among other things - also an auctioneer and a realtor. He's auctioned many homes. If you like, I'll send you his number and I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you and explain the process. He can give you some tips for finding an auctioneer in your area.
Yes please and thank you :)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Don't make the mistake a local family here did when they auctioned their unusual house (which is surely why it wasn't selling) several years ago. Set a bottom limit, the very lowest price you'd accept, and don't make it known except to the auctioneer. If nobody bids that high, no sale takes place. The auctioneer can inform bidders the minimum price has not been met without revealing what it is.

Oh, and establish increments of bids. You don't want people upping one another for a dollar. A thousand, maybe. Or five.

Maryn, sensible in some ways
You are indeed sensible, my learned friend. :) I will keep in mind what you've said here. Indeed some of this did cross my mind last night. I wish I had a crystal ball that could tell me why my house isn't selling for the realtors keep saying how beautiful it is. I have heard from others though that the clients who've been through it are waiting for me to "hit rock bottom". I am going to do everything in my power come hook or by crook to see to it that I work my butt off before I let them get my home for a "steal".

Kim, annoyed at people who want something for next to nothing.