Medieval Rock Climbing, Modern Character

Contemplative

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
So, I have two characters who are going to be crossing some mountains in my WIP, in a secondary world fantasy setting loosely modeled on T'ang China. One of the characters is a local swordsman, the other is a magician from the modern world, who thus has at least some cultural exposure to modern rock climbing, and has (if I want) possibly actually done it (in the modern world). The modern character is a must more cosmopolitan, adventuresome and competent person than I am IRL -- a figure of heroic statue.

They don't have nice modern climbing supplies, though they can improvise.

The scene is more about what they find, and what they fight, while crossing the mountains, than the actual ordeal of crossing, but it occured to me that I could ratchet the tension by adding in the climb itself as a secondary threat.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has been rock climbing IRL, what would you do to make a climb safer without supplies? What are the "ground rules"? The modern character is very level-headed and sharp, and it would be instructive of her character for her to approach this challenge with modern insight.

Anyone care to recommend a short book or movie that would provide a good intro to rock climbing? I'm open to some background reading of a reasonable length here, but it's just one scene so I don't want to get too bogged down.

I can also define the mountains and terrain pretty much any way I want for the sake of drama, save that they have to be fairly substantial in size. I can decide, in other words, how much and where paths already exist, and how well they're maintained.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A great all-in-one book reference is "Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills." It's very well written and I have read it many times. If you want to see some old-timey rock climbing action that is moderately realistic, rent "The Eiger Sanction" (there's lots of 1970s clint eastwood spy flick cheesey goodness to make it entertaining)

In that situation, just about the only things they could do would be to have good shoes and carry a rope. There are many types of rock climbing that use gear. From most gear to least gear needed: aide climbing, trad climbing, sport climbing, top roping, and free soloing. Wikipedia can start you out on all of these. If you want to try top roping, your local climbing wall can sort you out in an afternoon. Read about belaying and you will have a decent idea what bare-bones climbing safety entails. Without special equipment, climbers can use a method of belaying called a "hip belay."

For climbing with a rope, a harness is needed (two actually, one for the climber and one for the belayer). But a harness can be fashioned out of (a second piece of) rope. This is safe but also pretty painful to use. Another thing your character would need is a working knowledge of at least a few knots--different knots work for different things.

You may want them to be 'scrambling' rather than rock climbing if they don't have any equipment. That may be more of what you have in mind. Scrambling is done without equipment. Occasionally a rope can be placed but it usually isn't needed.

If they are traveling over snow/ice then it would be called mountaineering and a whole nuther skill set is needed. An axe comes in handy, as well as crampons (pointy spikes on the bottom of your shoes. Your character could probably whip something up to approximate those. Again rope and harness are helpful, not to mention warm clothes.

If you have any more specific questions, I could do my best to answer them.

Contemplative

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick, informative response. Just knowing what terms to Wiki can be very, very useful, and I've ordered that book, since it looks like an excellent writer's reference in general. I have no other specific questions right now; I'm "getting my ducks in a row" in terms of advance research.