Most jobless thread ever

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
What crosses your mind at the first mention of the word 'Darzian?'

He's a character in my book, and I'd like to know what your first reaction to the name is. eg. does it sound good? evil ? weird? insane? funny? etc.....

ShebaJones

I post in the nude.
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought? Tarzan. Vine-swinging, loincloth-wearing ape man.

Second thought: It's a cool name. :)

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Omg. Damn the z.

I'll you guys know who Darzian actually is later on. This is going to be hilarious. :roll:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Totally neutral. I don't get off on character names, I get off on what the characters do, how they act, all the keys to the literary development of that character. His name could be Earl for all I care if the characterization is intriguing and pulls me into the story.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Arguments at science fiction conventions over how the name is pronounced, no matter how the author insists it should be.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
He's a guy on AW.
Probably a fantasy genre name.

Beyond that, it's pretty neutral. Except, if I saw it in a book, I'd be reminded of this guy on AW... but the guy on AW's pretty good. It's a good association at this point. ;-)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What crosses your mind at the first mention of the word 'Darzian?'

First thing: And how is that pronounced?

As far as the character goes, no reaction at all, but it is close enough to Tarzan to give me a chuckle.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
At least it's pronounceable, and I didn't think of Tarzan until I read someone else's mention. It looks like DAR-zian. Like someone from the land of Darzus. :)

There's 'odd SF' (dunno what to really call it) where alien names have apostrophes where you'd think vowels would go. These cannot be spoken easily, and that's presumably the point.

There's a Larry Niven book titled "World of Ptavvs" that I'd seen jokingly written as "World of Ptooie" because that was the closes pronunciation the person could come up with.

Darzian sounds like it could also be the name of a drug. Now I've got the paranoid idea that you should Google every invented or unusual word you use, just to make sure it's not a trademark. But no doubt some poor child in real life has been named Paxil.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Now I've got the paranoid idea that you should Google every invented or unusual word you use, just to make sure it's not a trademark.

What happens if my MC is called X and X also happened to be a trademark? If I'm arrested for that then this world is just insane. Perhaps my agent will let me know, after I get one. :tongue

Darzian is the equivalent of the 'Devil' (aka Lord of Hell etc) in my Fantasy WIP. I thought it sounded weird there and wanted opinions (I shall not call him Dark Lord, Dark One, Nameless One, He Who Must Not Be Named, Ancient One - or any other name that doesn't give his name).

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like alien boy from the planet Darzia. :)

:flag:

Wonderful. The name is supposed to strike terror into the hearts of the readers.

The iron gates of Hell blasted open and a menacing figure wreathed in flames emerged from its fiery depths. Leon froze at the very sight of the approaching nemesis. Darzian, Lord of Hell and Master of Arcador stepped onto the Earth and all was doomed forever.

That is not actually in the WIP, BTW.

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
What happens if my MC is called X and X also happened to be a trademark? If I'm arrested for that then this world is just insane. Perhaps my agent will let me know, after I get one. :tongue

Darzian is the equivalent of the 'Devil' (aka Lord of Hell etc) in my Fantasy WIP. I thought it sounded weird there and wanted opinions (I shall not call him Dark Lord, Dark One, Nameless One, He Who Must Not Be Named, Ancient One - or any other name that doesn't give his name).

X was 70's/80's punk band:D
actually Darzian sounds like ancient Sumerian. I like it:D

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
smiley+1+(800x600).jpg

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the name but why the giant Rolling Thunder tribute

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I wouldn't worry what people think of your name here as a reflection on what they will think of the name in the context of your story. The name people use, at least for me, becomes their name. So when I see the name I associate all the qualities I have learned about you. But in the context of your book you can make your name as impressive or pathetic as you want, by its context. For example, when I first read Voldemort, I thought that was the stupidest name for a villain ever. But as the name began to represent such a heinous character, one that instilled much fear in the populace, it stopped being ridiculous to me.

Heck, I've been using the handle "Toothpaste" for two years now, and it's got to the point that if I see an ad for Toothpaste, or see it referred to somewhere else, I think people are talking about me. It's all about context.