Keyboards with Traction

Steve 211

Here and There
Registered
Reaction score
When I type, my fingers slide all over the keys on the keyboard since the keys are made of slick plastic. Does anyone else have this problem, and what do you do about it?

One thing I have tried is double-faced tape, just cutting little squares of it and then pressing a paper towel over it once to lessen the stickiness to simple good traction, and then it feels like each key is coated in rubber, just as I'd like it, but it wears off after three weeks or so, and you have to do the whole thing over again.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
On my keyboard, each key is slightly concave. Perhaps you're using a laptop.

Would a gentle sandpapering help? But be ready with a vacuum cleaner or one of the aerosol blowers to get rid of the dust.

Steve 211

Here and There
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Carmy. My old Dell Quiet Key had all concave keys, but I had the same problem there. I tried sandpaper on it, but it didn't do much, so I tried an X-Acto knife to carve in a tic-tac-toe pattern, but again it didn't help.

It was also anything but quiet, so I got a Precision Squared Tech keyboard, which is much like a laptop's in that you hardly have to press the keys and it's much quieter. The keys are indeed flatter on this one, but again, I had the same problem on the Dell.

Guitarists have sticky stuff to help them hold their picks, and athletes have it for holding their rackets and basketballs, so maybe someone should market Typists' Traction - you spray it on and voila, no skidding fingertips.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
What about a rubber roll up key board? Designed for on-the-go, but the rubber(y) surface might give you more traction.

The other option might be a key cover, and you could spray something on it (even a textured clear paint or something) without damaging the keyboard.

Here's a link to peruse (which I found just googling.) http://www.fentek-ind.com/waterproof-keyboards.htm

Or maybe a braille keyboard (http://hooleon.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=A-KBS)

I'm not sure if any of these will help.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I tried one of those rubber roll-up keyboards but they didn't suit me. I could feel the hard "ball" in the centre of each key. And it slowed down my speed too much.

I'm wondering if rubber cement (the glue kind) would work. Try it on a couple of keys. At least it would be easy to peel off if it didn't work.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
It likely isn't the keyboard. Your fingers are just dry. Most people don't drink enough.

No no no...I meant water!

Printers (like Ben Franklin...not inkjets) have dry fingers because they touch paper all day. Paper draws the oils from your hands. So they use a paste to pick up sheets more easily.

tac-009.jpg

It could help. Might find it at most office stores...Staples, Office Max. Ask for finger moistener or tacky fingers.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Claire's solution looks like it would work, particularly the braille overlays. but Delarege has probably hit on the problem, dry skin. Try a moisturizer first. Your hands will feel better and if it works, you'll have saved money. Lady friend of mine where I used to work used Udder Balm. Yes, its normal and first use if for udders, but it works very well on dry hands. It is sold in drug store cosmetic counters in the US.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Tacky fingers! Those rubber fingerettes people wear to turn pages rather than wet their fingers all the time. They come in different sizes, too.

Steve 211

Here and There
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked at those other keyboards, and even ordered a trial version of one of the plastic covers once, but it never arrived. Then I got this keyboard, and I love it, but again, my fingers are sliding all over.

And yeah, dryness is definitely it. It helps if I tap my fingers on my tongue, like you would for flipping pages, but it's not the most hygienic way to go. And I'll try rubber cement on a couple keys, but I'm thinking that stuff could be toxic.

Moistener/moisturizer/Udder Balm sounds good, and I'll check out those tacky fingers, too.

esoterika

Registered
Reaction score
They make spray paint with a "natural stone" texture. The trick would be to apply it lightly enough to not gum up the works of the keyboard. I suppose you could take all the keys off, spray them, and put them back. I can't imagine how you could type with rubber cement on the keys! And yes, very bad to breathe.

Or you could get matte label stock, cut out key-sized squares and stick it on. Not sure how easy it is to find, we sell it at my store but we kinda specialize in obscure office supplies. Maybe a scrapbooking store.

Or, use double sided tape to attach some kind of paper to the keys... but then you'd have to relabel them all, and it would get grungy...

Or, yeah, hand lotion sounds simpler! I can't stand the feel of dry hands, so I have a pump bottle by my desk.

Don't know if you're using a Mac or PC, but I actually decided not to buy the new streamlined Apple keyboard (silver with white keys, very slim profile) because the keys have a faintly matte, gritty texture, almost like dry clay, and I can't stand that sensation! But it sounds like that might be up your alley. Maybe someone's making a PC one with a similar texture, I don't know.

RJK

Registered
Reaction score
If you spray paint at the keys of a keyboard, you may as well invest in a new keyboard. The paint will get down into the circuit board. It is most likely conductive. It will rewire your keyboard into something unrecognizable and dry that way.

The problem is not with the keys, it is the user. the OP has very dry, possibly calloused skin. I have a friend who is a mason. Shaking hands with him is like holding a brick. The OP should use a good moisturizer. It may take a week of application before the skin responds enough for him to see the difference, but it will work.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Laptops are brutal to type on. I can't manage a single paragraph without a plethora of typos. I prefer the concave slab.

RJK

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Cyber. you can divide my productivity by 100 when I have to use a laptop keyboard and touchpad. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse for mine. The powers that be should really think about designing those things so that they're practical to use, not just carry around.