Humor book length

Status
Not open for further replies.

determined2finish

something from nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I haven't been here in a while because I have been running in circles trying to get some writing done. What I wrote is a seemingly endless list of ideas, but have yet to completely finish one idea in written form (ARRGH!).

Anyway, I read a thread about novel length and was wondering if any such limitations applied to humor books? Someone said that humor books are better when they are shorter, but approximately what length? Is the story structure/pacing the same as for a novel? How would a book like "Bridget Jones' Diary" be classified - a novel? a short work of humorous fiction? What's the difference??? I think my questions are a great way for me to put off writing for another night (but still, any answers are appreciated).

Seriously, for those of you who have written book length humor, is there a standard length? Is it possible to be or hope to be funny enough to last an entire novel or would that only irritate potential readers??? :idea:

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
I've not ventured into the book arena yet, but would offer this as a general starting point. Find published books closest to the type you wish to write, check out their publishers online and request guidelines via snail-mail. that may get you pointed in a general direction.

As for Bridget Jone's Diary - Humorous Fiction. It is a novel with a central story line and strong humorous overtones.

By comparison, Dave Barry's - A Guide To Guys is straight humor. It is a book with a central topic and the sole purpose of poking humor at the said topic.

Another comparison: Anne Lammot's Bird by Bird is humorous nonfiction. It has a central topic and uses humor to enliven the topic. (Also my fave book about writing, btw.)

If you read through parts of each of these three books, you'll get a pretty good feel for the differences between them.

Best of luck (now stop procrastinating and finish something!) ;)

Barb

determined2finish

something from nothing
Registered
Reaction score
batyler65 said:
As for Bridget Jone's Diary - Humorous Fiction. It is a novel with a central story line and strong humorous overtones.

By comparison, Dave Barry's - A Guide To Guys is straight humor. It is a book with a central topic and the sole purpose of poking humor at the said topic.

Another comparison: Anne Lammot's Bird by Bird is humorous nonfiction. It has a central topic and uses humor to enliven the topic. (Also my fave book about writing, btw.)

Barb: thanks for your input. I think I needed some type of clarification on this to set myself on the right path. I'll have to read that book by Dave Barry, sounds like an interesting way of presenting an idea.

Sighhhhh...now back to figuring out what the heck I'm trying to do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.