PDA

View Full Version : the squirrels are nuts

Mela
10-28-2008, 05:30 PM
My boss told me this morning that the other day the squirrels were running around her deck in a panic, gathering piles of nuts. She said she'd never seen that before and it could only mean one thing: a bad winter ahead. We're in northwest Jersey.

This morning I looked out the window and shrieked: expecting rain, I was looking at snow - covering the lawn and my car.

I'm just not ready for this.

CaroGirl
10-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Where I live, the squirrel do this every year. They were in a frenzy a month ago when the oak trees shed their acorns. They were all in the oak tree behind my house shaking leaves, branches and other debris all over my yard and deck while I stood below and shook my fist at them, Damn you, squirrels. I don't know if it's a portent of a bad winter or just typical squirrel-ish behaviour.

We're supposed to get snow this evening. I know it won't last, but it's a reminder of what's to come. I hope for a bit less snow than last year.

smoothseas
10-28-2008, 05:53 PM
... some people like to feed nuts to the squirrels. But if it makes you happy to feed squirrels to the nuts, who am I to say nuts to the squirrels? ...

*Cluny Brown is a 1946 film made by Twentieth Century-Fox.

Leukman
10-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Sorry about the snow, peeps. Wish I could look at some. Instead I’m dealing with 70s and sunshine…waves crashing on the beach. Squirrels around here just hang sideways on trees and chatter at you in apparent rodent madness…

I have to wonder though, what would happen to one of these Florida squirrels if they were relocated to the northeast? Would they find their foraging skills surfacing from some corner of their pee-sized brains, or, having never had to fend in winter, would we find them on popsicle sticks? Perhaps hanging out in the train station dancing for change…

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Squirrels are very clever. My bet's on their being able to adapt pretty darn quickly.

SPMiller
10-28-2008, 06:58 PM
It dropped into the 30s F last night. I was surprised. Usually takes longer for it to get this cold.

Darzian
10-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Considering that my country experiences perpetual summer, I feed the squirrels that come to two of my balconies. They eat practically anything vegetarian, and seem to have a particular affection for bread.

johnnysannie
10-28-2008, 07:10 PM
The squirrels here (SWMO) have been unusually active this autumn, frenzied and gathering nuts with speed. I haven't found a persimmon yet but the wooly worms are all black, another harbinger of a "hard" winter in the old folklore. We'll see, I suppose.

Darzian
10-28-2008, 07:18 PM
You people need to be here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119699).

Pagey's_Girl
10-28-2008, 07:44 PM
You had snow? In Jersey? I'm in southeast NY....

*Googles plane fares to Hawaii - one way, please*

Mela
10-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Yep. SNOW. I live in what's called the snow belt, divided by route 78, on the northern side of 78.
I was just talking to someone in Wisconsin who told me that in Jersey, we don't know snow.
Well, yes, agreed.
Doesn't mean I still can't like it.

LaurieD
10-28-2008, 08:43 PM
It's been 30's here in the morning for the last week (not usually so cold until November/December-ish).

About a month ago, I saw an enormous (sp?) flock of birds (duck or goose size birds) headed south.

I don't wanna bad winter! We had a horrible ice storm last year and were without power for over a week!

Stlight
10-30-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't think the snow has to be deeper than some of us, even the shorter of us, are tall to still count as snow. If it can freeze pipes it be snow.

Stlight who is digging out the sweaters, sweats, long underwear and we've only just got into the freeze zone at night.