Status
Not open for further replies.

buttterflywilma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
schrijfeenboek.punt.nl
Hi,

I had some bluescreenerrors in Vista so i backupped the manuscript (USB stick) and i reinstalled Vista, openoffice writer everything on my pc.

Now when i open my MS in open office writer it's totally messed up.
And i can't find fonts like Arian Narrow and Edwardian.

What can i do to solve this problem:?:
I'd like to update my ms and republish it also i want to write another manuscript.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Vista is your problem. If you can get a copy of Windows XP, get rid of Vista and install the XP. I bought a new PC and insisted they send it with XP. I won't touch Vista until the bugs have been fixed.

ETA: I would also ask this question in Tech help. You'll find more people with good answers.

buttterflywilma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
schrijfeenboek.punt.nl
Thanks for your reply.
I'll leave vista on my pc although i somewhat hate it and also prefer XP but i can't stand uninstalling and reinstalling everything again. And i don't have the money to buy XP.
I discovered that all of a sudden i don't have Arial narrow and Edwardian anymore so i replaced those pieces of text with times new roman now everything looks fine again altho i hate going through the whole MS.

Last edited:

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
Christ, never pay money for a windows OS!

I did install Open Office on Vista and it works fine, so far there. Unfortunately I had to purchase new hardware because some things like many printers are non-compatible with vista. And big companies like Lexmark refuse to update drivers, leaving you screwed.

I never thought I'd see the day where perfectly working hardware gets tossed in the trash because the next release of a windows OS makes it non-compat.

Actually, we did go through this once before, with WIN-MODEMS wasn't it? Now Billy Gates finds something else to screw us over with.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Check your fonts folder-- see if you have Arial and Edwardian in there (I would imagine so, but sometimes things get wonky.) (In XP, there's a fonts folder in the Control Panel.)

If they're missing, you might be able to snag them from a friend and drop them into the fonts folder. (If it's working right, you'll get a message saying the fonts are being installed.)

Blue Screen of death means something is seriously wrong and wonking up the OS. You may have a piece of hardware that is running wrong or even failing. Even Vista doesn't BOSD for "no reason". You should keep track of when the BSOD occurs (should it start up again, and I would expect it to.) Then, find a geeky friend or take it to a computer shop (or better, more than one. Like you *should* with cars. Some people, sadly, do take advantage of people who don't know that their computer doesn't need motherboard bearings.)

Yes Vista has issues, but replacing it is not always an option. Some people don't like to steal software or use Linux. The bigger problem in this case is that something is messing Vista up.

laidback

Registered
Reaction score
I've had zero problems with Vista.

Butterfly, can you be more specific on how your document is "messed up"? Are you worried that it may be gone forever? Or just that it's not formatted how you want?

buttterflywilma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
schrijfeenboek.punt.nl
Well the Vista blue screen errorproblem is solved since two weeks. I reinstalled Vista.

I don't have the fonts in my fontsfolder. I used three fonts in the MS, edwardian, arial narrow and for the major part times new roman, so i'll just make everything Times NR.

No thank god my MS is not gone, i don't have to type everything over. Its just messed up formatwise. The ms is 162 pages now it's 225 pages.
And al the words that are in edwardian and arial narrow look strange.
But when i make them TNR everythings fine again.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Thanks for your reply.
I'll leave vista on my pc although i somewhat hate it and also prefer XP but i can't stand uninstalling and reinstalling everything again. And i don't have the money to buy XP.
I discovered that all of a sudden i don't have Arial narrow and Edwardian anymore so i replaced those pieces of text with times new roman now everything looks fine again altho i hate going through the whole MS.

When you reinstalled did you make sure you installed all the font packs....they don't get installed normally. And sometimes those are extra from the computer company.

I have Vista on my home computer now, and doing a quick check niether of those fonts are on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.