steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
“He awakened me from my dogmatic slumbers.”
Immanual Kant (speaking of David Hume)

It was the lead-up to Iraq that did it. Iraq, and that lying smirk.

In late 2002 through the summer of 2003, I was on a software-development project far from home. I had to drive 1.5 hours to the site in the morning, and then 1.5 hours back home every evening. The route was through some of the least-inhabited parts of eastern North Carolina. Not much radio out that way, and what little there is just screams “short-wave loony-tune.” I had time to think, then, time I hadn’t had for decades. And I started thinking about the world, and I started thinking about that man with the lying smirk.

I didn’t vote in 2000. In fact, I hadn’t voted since 1980, when I voted for Reagan -- not out of any political conviction, but because I detested that grinning imbecile Jimmy Carter. I used to be different. Once I was young, I was engaged, I wrote philosophy, I wrote plays. I’m sure most of what I wrote was utter dreck, but it was the passion and the desire to make a difference that was important. Me and my friends were going to change the world, or at least change a few lives. We lived like we meant it, and we loved the struggle with ideas and words and causes.

Well, you know the story. Life did what it so often did. Life got in the way, and I went off on another path. Don’t get me wrong: after a decade-long rough patch (drugs) I was mostly happy in a bovine, unthinking way, happy for decades. And so the years drifted by – the operative word being drifting – and I found myself in late 2002 driving down that long empty road in the dark every morning and every night, thinking about Iraq and thinking about that god damned lying smirk.

And one day, shortly after the invasion began, I understood the scope of what had happened, and I said to myself aloud in my car, so loud that I actually startled myself: “Jesus Christ, we let the bastards do it to us again!” And so I rediscovered my rage, that blessed rage, that sweet emotion that has so many negative associations these days but that was so honored in simpler times that Homer was able to weave the entire fabric of his greatest epic around the rage of Achilles.

And so I started writing again.

There’s no way for me to avoid the inevitable conclusion: viewed from my own purely selfish perspective, George W. Bush was the best thing that ever happened to me. This idea horrifies me. If I could wave a magic wand and have it all play out another way – if I could have a world without W, at the cost of never awakening from my decades-long dogmatic slumbers – would I? Would I? I have to believe that I would.

My sanity depends on it.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
You know, that's one of my favorite quotes. But the problem with it is that Kant woke up, but really didn't get it. He dropped the very ball Hume had so generously handed him. Noumena and Phenomena? Bah!

And to be clear, I'm not trying to say anything about the rest of your post, Steve. I'm only dealing with Kant and Hume.

It's good to find a muse. Always.

fullbookjacket

Registered
Reaction score
Here's something else for you to think about.

By voting against the "grinning imbecile" Jimmy Carter and voting for Ron Reagan, you helped get us into this war.

Carter placed Saddam's Iraq on his list of rogue, tyrannical regimes and refused to provide them with any assistance. The Right hooted and hollered about his approach to foreign policy, which was based more on human rights than Cold War saber-rattling.

Reagan, of course, removed Saddam from the list of regimes we couldn't support and plied him with military hardware. Even granted Saddam anthrax lines from US labs. All because Iraq and Iran were engaged in a brutal war. Years later, Ronnie's weapons were used by Iraq against US soldiers.

Maybe Carter wasn't the imbecile you took him for. Go figure.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

By voting against the "grinning imbecile" Jimmy Carter and voting for Ron Reagan, you helped get us into this war.

Carter placed Saddam's Iraq on his list of rogue, tyrannical regimes and refused to provide them with any assistance. The Right hooted and hollered about his approach to foreign policy, which was based more on human rights than Cold War saber-rattling.

Reagan, of course, removed Saddam from the list of regimes we couldn't support and plied him with military hardware. Even granted Saddam anthrax lines from US labs. All because Iraq and Iran were engaged in a brutal war. Years later, Ronnie's weapons were used by Iraq against US soldiers.

Maybe Carter wasn't the imbecile you took him for. Go figure.
That's some serious rewriting. It was Carter's naivety that let the Soviets hold on to their crumbling empire--wherein millions suffered--for much longer that was needed. It was Carter's naivety that spurred the growth of fringe groups like al-Qaeda and largely created the circumstances that led to 9-11.

Carter was/is a bumbling fool, when it comes to international relations. That ship has sailed.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score

By voting against the "grinning imbecile" Jimmy Carter and voting for Ron Reagan, you helped get us into this war...

With the benefit of hind sight and 20/20

I would still prefer to have Reagan in office. Regardless of your views about the man, under his watch, America prospered and under his watch the USSR crumbled.

There is no telling what would have happened if Carter was in office, but odds are, it would not have been as good as Reagan.

Besides, we would have missed out on the "Spittin Image" skits of Reagan. That in and of itself justifies his 8 yrs in office.

Mel...

ricetalks

Registered
Reaction score
That's some serious rewriting. It was Carter's naivety that let the Soviets hold on to their crumbling empire--wherein millions suffered--for much longer that was needed. It was Carter's naivety that spurred the growth of fringe groups like al-Qaeda and largely created the circumstances that led to 9-11.

Carter was/is a bumbling fool, when it comes to international relations. That ship has sailed.

Cartier's naivete? Rememer those Afgan "Freedom Fighters" that Reagun supported against the Russians? Remember the photographs of Rumsfield shaking hands with them as they supplied them with support and weapons? Who do you think those "Freedom Fighters" were? They were the Taliban!

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
You know, that's one of my favorite quotes. But the problem with it is that Kant woke up, but really didn't get it. He dropped the very ball Hume had so generously handed him. Noumena and Phenomena? Bah!

I agree with you there. I think Kant labored mightily and brought forth .... I don't know what you'd call it, to be honest. A mess, I suppose. ;)