Contacts and how to use them

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I just learned that a friend of mine from college is the chief editor at a large imprint. Once I finish my novel, get it polished, and begin querying, is it appropriate/tasteful to mention this in my query letter? If so, how do you word something like that to an agent?

Danthia

I agree. Unless this editor is already interested in your work and wants to publish it, it won't help you. It might even hurt you, as it could come across as you have a friend who wasn't willing to look at your work. Once you have an agent, defiantely tell them though. That's somethng they probably would want to consider when they submit the work.

TheWritingRunner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritingrunner.wordpress.com
I agree. Unless this editor is already interested in your work and wants to publish it, it won't help you.

THAT is the only way it helps you. In fact, I have a friend who got 10 out of 10 agents to ask to read her manuscript because an editor she met at a convention had already asked to read the manuscript. 4 of those agents offered representation. Agents are in the business to make money, so if they think someone is already thinking about buying your book, it gets THAT MUCH more interesting to them. Your writing and your story still has to work for the agent, but it's amazing how many doors open when people think OTHER people are already interested in you!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Unless this editor is already interested in your work and wants to publish it, it won't help you. It might even hurt you, as it could come across as you have a friend who wasn't willing to look at your work. Once you have an agent, defiantely tell them though. That's somethng they probably would want to consider when they submit the work.

Agreed. This is the only way it might help you.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I just learned that a friend of mine from college is the chief editor at a large imprint. Once I finish my novel, get it polished, and begin querying, is it appropriate/tasteful to mention this in my query letter? If so, how do you word something like that to an agent?

Why don't you contact your friend to ask for advice (once you are finished)? Your friend might be able to point you in the direction of some agents he/she respects. THEN you can absolutely use that in your letter.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
Why don't you contact your friend to ask for advice (once you are finished)? Your friend might be able to point you in the direction of some agents he/she respects. THEN you can absolutely use that in your letter.

That's a great idea.