Calling moms of toddlers

RMH

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on an article that discusses ways to help make bath time fun for toddlers, especially ones that once loved taking a bath and then decided they didn't!

I'm looking for sources who used creative ways to get their little ones to get in the tub. If you have a story of how you helped make bath time fun for your toddler, PM me or post your story here. This is for a piece in a national parenting magazine.
Thanks in advance!
Rachel

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The no bath atall game:

"When I was a kid, we took baths on Saturday. What was good enough for me is good enough for you."

"You don't look dirty to me. I think you can wait till your mom gets home."

"Don't worry; we'll get some soap for you tomorrow."

"The water company said they'll have our water back on in two days. Meanwhile, let's not waste the bottled stuff."

Oh, wait! You said "Calling all moms. . . ." Sorry. Never mind.

Last edited:

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
We went through this and these are some things that helped

- bubbles and a bubble blowing wand, with the rule that you have to get in the tub for a bath to blow the bubbles.

- plastic or rubber toys just for the tub (my son loved dinosaurs, so we got a few just for the tub)

- Crayola makes (or did make) colored tablets that would change the color of the bathwater (but not your kid) - this was a huge hit.

- letting the kiddo pick out their own bubble bath

Hope this helps a bit

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Cups for pouring water into other cups.

Another toddler in the water.

mommyjo2

Bad grammar make me [sic]
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milehimama.com
In order to get my daughters to wash their hair, I encourage them to make "mermaid hair", that is, to swish their heads under water so their hair floats in the current. Works much better for rinsing shampoo than dumping cups of water over a screaming toddler's head.

JRTurner

Banned
Reaction score
We did the "beach" thing--swimsuits and floaties in the water.

They have these bath "fizzies" that you can drop in the water and they make bubbles.

With my daughter, it was "oh, look, your babydoll needs a bath, you want to wash her hair?" Lots of extra baby shampoos, but it worked ;)

Hope that helps :)

neener

Cleaning is overrated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janinesclayson.blogspot.com
The bath crayons seems to help, as well as bubble baths and the foam letters you stick on the walls. They just liked to stick them up and knock 'em down. Honestly though, I've got twins and one always loved it...so the other one learned to love it because fun can't be had alone. They love to play and splash together now. Probably doesn't help much, but the example of a sibling goes a long way.

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
Hmmm, my oldest didn't get alergic to water until he was old enough to shower himself...then suddenly it became a dreaded chore. My little guy is 18 months and still going strong with tubbie time. Since I have boys, I use toy boats, a rubber duckie, cups, funnels, sandbox toys... I switch it around so it's not always the same old bath toy.

Sometimes before bath I'd tell my first born (this was when he was a little guy) to go pick out a toy to take into the bath. Just beware, anything with stickers or paint won't survive a bath. Don't let them take a prized hotwheel in there, some of them have paint that will be damaged by water.

OH! That reminds me! I haven't even done this for my little one yet...SHAVING CREAM. I'd buy a cheap can of shaving cream just for him. We'd spray it on the side of the tub and then plow through it with his little dump trucks and snow plows. Great fun!

(We had to buy him his own can because daddy would get made when we used up all of his!)

Thanks for the post - I've got 8.5 years between my kids, and it's like I'm doing it from scratch sometimes!

Last edited:

Dgullen

Ustom Ser Itle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgullen.com
they all used to love their baths at that age, it was never a bother. We had toys, bubbles, and occasional mad splashy moments.

When I say 'we' I do of course mean their mother. As a father I of course had nothing to do with my children's upbringing ;)