Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
This is interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/25/business/25nocera.html?_r=1&em&oref=slogin

“Twenty-five billion dollars is obviously going to help the folks who are struggling more than Chase,” he began. “What we do think it will help us do is perhaps be a little bit more active on the acquisition side or opportunistic side for some banks who are still struggling. And I would not assume that we are done on the acquisition side just because of the Washington Mutual and Bear Stearns mergers. I think there are going to be some great opportunities for us to grow in this environment, and I think we have an opportunity to use that $25 billion in that way and obviously depending on whether recession turns into depression or what happens in the future, you know, we have that as a backstop.”

Banks hoarding money and using it to buy up weaker banks, but not using it for loans (remember that's what congress said needed to happen with this money).

I'd role my eyes, but during the last two months I've over-rolled them.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Can I get a check?

I'm a failed bank with no one borrowing my money and zero depositors!

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
The banks are getting the loans, not the people. Let's see how trickle-down works, folks. :)

Oxymoron

Expanding their business by buying up weaker banks and otherwise keeping the money means that the banks aren't loaning each other money.

Really, I know the the theory of Trickle Down....but that never works the way intended. Most theories of government and economics don't because they fail in one significant way.

They fail to take into account human greed capacity.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
You know, I really hate to be the voice of reason here but did anyone really expect an immediate return to normalcy off the bailout package? The banks haven't even gotten their checks yet--how in the heck is anything supposed to trickle down.

It's dangerously ingenuous for a media outlet to produce this type of article before a single dime has had the chance to work its way into the system. *shrug* Doesn't mean I like the bailout any better, but I'm not going to call it a failure on the very first day money hits the system.

That's like finding out you're pregnant and immediately beginning to push.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
Oxymoron

Expanding their business by buying up weaker banks and otherwise keeping the money means that the banks aren't loaning each other money.

Really, I know the the theory of Trickle Down....but that never works the way intended. Most theories of government and economics don't because they fail in one significant way.

They fail to take into account human greed capacity.

I think they do take greed into account, but as the wealthy are the real power behind the throne there is a high level of intent involved. Making the rich richer doesn't help the economy, it helps the rich. It's too bad that we, as a society, have fallen for this obvious con.