Can you stay away from coffee?

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Adults do seem to have a coffee problem. It's not all that good for your body, ya know.

My challenge: Can you stay away from coffee for 24 hrs? Not a sip.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
A sip is the sum total of all coffee I've been able to drink in my entire life. I just can't seem to gag the stuff down, unless it's mixed with a lot of chocolate, as in mocha, and why would anyone want to ruin a good feed of chocolate that way anyhow...

So yeah. I'll go without coffee today. And tomorrow, and the next day...

Just don't ask me to give up cola. :tongue

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
I can stay away from coffee. Just not Tim Horton's coffee. And considering there is one less than 2 blocks from my house, that ain't gonna happen. Besides, if I stay away from coffee are you going to stay out of chips/pop/ice cream/or whatever other junk food you eat for 24 hours? Or how about alcohol? I don't drink or eat junk food. Coffee is my one bad food habit.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I can, but the crippling migraine I get in return just isn't worth it. So I won't. :D It's fine in moderation anyways, and there are a lot of worse things to be addicted to. That's what I keep telling myself, at any rate.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
A little coffee is not bad for you. I've seen some studies that say a moderate amount can be beneficial.

Richard

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Although I drink coffee daily, of course I could stay away. You have to provide me with proper incentive, like a painless mammogram, rather than a simple challenge. Since I'm not due for the exam, cash will have to do.

Maryn, assuming you don't know there's supposed to be no caffeine for 2 weeks before a mammogram

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, assuming you don't know there's supposed to be no caffeine for 2 weeks before a mammogram

That kills it. I ain't never having one of them things.

Ruth, who's joking--she thinks.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Here's my coffee story:

Up to about seven years ago, I hardly ever drank coffee. Just tea. Then we moved in with my sister who was older than me, and she had a lot of medical problems she was born with (one of them was severe asthma). She'd have her two cups of coffee in the morning. Since it smelled so good, I joined her everyday in drinking coffee. She lived far longer than the doctor's expected her to live.

I still have to have my morning cup of coffee. Or two. Or three.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At a recent gathering of AW people, nobody seemed to notice that one day I had no coffee. I didn't like what they served at the hotel, so I had tea.

And lived. I was fully wakeful and everything, even.

Maryn, who had two cups of joe today

Dgullen

Ustom Ser Itle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgullen.com
Gave up coffee ages ago, gave up tea a couple of years later and was caffeine-free for 2-3 years. Relapsed on tea a few months back but coffee is verboten forever.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it is good for you. Do your research, sonny. :)

And I have gone weekends without coffee. So there.

I'm shocked at this. I used to have tea every day and stopped after I read some articles that didn't recommend it. So is tea/coffee actually good or bad? I'm now confused and grateful for starting the thread.

I can stay away from coffee. Just not Tim Horton's coffee. And considering there is one less than 2 blocks from my house, that ain't gonna happen. Besides, if I stay away from coffee are you going to stay out of chips/pop/ice cream/or whatever other junk food you eat for 24 hours? Or how about alcohol? I don't drink or eat junk food. Coffee is my one bad food habit.

I haven't had any of those in a month. Alcohol? never have and never will

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I did not know that.

Hmm. No wonder it always hurts so much when they do the squeezing.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score

I had no idea. I've only had to have one in my life, and they didn't tell me that. Hopefully I won't have to have another one for a while, but I'll have to be sure to remember that.

To the OP - nope. I couldn't stay away. Nor is it worth it to me or my loved ones, who would probably become former loved ones, to try. I get nasty. And migrainey. And since I get 3-4 migraines a week as it is, I'm not willing to do anything at all to bring on more of them.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I can, but the crippling migraine I get in return just isn't worth it. So I won't. :D It's fine in moderation anyways, and there are a lot of worse things to be addicted to. That's what I keep telling myself, at any rate.

Same here. The headache just isn't worth it...

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I do every weekend. Coffee is easily available at work in the morning, but we don't bother with it on the weekends.

And, no, I don't double-up on the soda on weekends either. I actually drink about twice the amount of water as on the weekdays.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm shocked at this. I used to have tea every day and stopped after I read some articles that didn't recommend it. So is tea/coffee actually good or bad? I'm now confused and grateful for starting the thread.

I haven't had any of those in a month. Alcohol? never have and never will

This month coffee and tea are good for you, next month coffee and tea are bad for you. Same old, same old.

I remember when they swore olive oil was one of the worst things you could use on your food. Now it's the perfect cooking oil.

Both coffee and tea in moderation is fine, say a cup or two of coffee per day. Some teas such as green and black are very good for you.

Teas are good in general provided they are not loaded with epinephrine which some are such as Mah Wang tea. Chamomile tea is excellent for stomach troubles but should never be taken by a person who is allergic to ragweed. They are is the same family and can make those people very sick.

Just as a glass of red wine is fine, if that is your choice. Too much of anything is bad, period. I don't like red wine but drink concord grape juice every day.

Last edited:

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
Like Heather said, moderation folks. Anything can be bad for you if you consume too much of it. And Darzian...I went a year and a half without any of those things and more. No cookies, cake, pies. Nothing. Just the occasional cup of coffee as a treat. By occasional I mean once a week.