First Conversation with an AGENT

CB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathieborrie.com
Let's pretend that we have an interview with an agent, not a contract, just a "how do you do" sort of meeting - as they are interested in yr work.
Does anyone have suggestions for good questions to ask besides the obvious track record sorts of questions?
Thanks, CB

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Ask what their working style is. How often do they want to hear from you, or how often will they contact you? Do they want to be apprised of your new projects? Do they want to see proposals from you, or are they not interested until the work is finished? Will they edit and make suggestions? How about when the work is sold--will they offer edits and suggestions on further books in a series, or do they leave things to the editor at that point? Will they have a discussion with you once a month about your career or will they simply contact you/let you contact them when there are questions? How quickly do they usually respond to emails?

Do they have any thoughts on where they see your career going? If you're very prolific, tell them; if you're not, tell them that too. What are their feelings about you writing in other genres?

That sort of thing.

Rilester

Registered
Reaction score
Cathie, I just had one of these calls, and like you, I had a slew of questions prepared. Twenty minutes later, the call was over, and I didn't ask a single one. It was much more informal than I was expecting, and the focus was on my manuscript, not the agent (though we did talk a little about the agent's style and whether that would be a good fit for me). I'm sure every "getting to know you" call is different, but just wanted to throw that out there in case your experience is similar.

Anyway, hope you get all of the answers that you want! Good luck to you -- hope a contract will follow soon! Keep us posted on how it goes.

Rilester

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Relax, be yourself and play it by ear. The Agent's probably the one with the questions.

TheWritingRunner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritingrunner.wordpress.com
Cathie, I just had one of these calls, and like you, I had a slew of questions prepared. Twenty minutes later, the call was over, and I didn't ask a single one. It was much more informal than I was expecting, and the focus was on my manuscript, not the agent (though we did talk a little about the agent's style and whether that would be a good fit for me). I'm sure every "getting to know you" call is different, but just wanted to throw that out there in case your experience is similar.

Anyway, hope you get all of the answers that you want! Good luck to you -- hope a contract will follow soon! Keep us posted on how it goes.

Rilester

Most of the times I've talked to an agent about a book, it's been more like this. An informal chat. Not an interview. But every person's experience is different and the most important thing is that YOU are comfortable with the decision you make!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have two agents with my fulls at the moment. Am I naive and dumb? I actually have no questions for them. I am just waiting for them to contact me about whether or not they are interested in taking me on. I hadn't even considered asking them questions. I'm gonna have to think about this one.

ETA: I just read through again. Bufty's comment makes me feel better. Honestly, I've been dreading the first contact more than anything else. I'm uber shy and a little anti-social. I'm afraid that the first actual sit-down conversation--if it ever gets that far--will be my destruction.

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Relax, be yourself and play it by ear. The Agent's probably the one with the questions.
Yep. And here's an idea; something I did: When the agent calls, take the phone and get comfy on the couch, feet up. If your body is relaxed, you'll be relaxed. And you can tell the agent that you know you'll have more questions to ask but can't think of them at the moment, would it be alright to email him/her? Or arrange for another phone call? Believe it or not, many are a little nervous, too. Obviously they like what they see with the ms., and want to make a good impression, too, on the professional and personal level.

And one other thing: take a deep breath and exhale before you answer the phone (if you have caller ID, of course).

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That's easier said than done. In person, I can barely string in entire sentence together until I fully know a person. I come across as rather unintelligent for the first several meetings--a bumbling, stuttering fool. This should be interesting.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I thought I'd be a nervous wreck too, but I did the above and it worked. For me, at least. (And I was called "introverted," "shy," etc. for years. I had a lot of trouble even speaking on the phone.) So, KTC, you never know. :)

You're right. I guess it's one of those, 'we'll cross that bridge when it comes' sort of things. I am going to go along with the fly by the seat of my pants idea, anyway. I can't think of anything I'd want to ask. I've been living in the Ask an Agent forum reading everything about the experience I could get my hands on.