"Lightning" Flash Fiction Contest (250 words - no fee)

riteideas

250 words? are they crazy? How can you tell a whole story in 250 words? It's impossible! Can't be done!

I guess I'll have to do it then.

Last edited:

riteideas

If you were publish by an online magazine like the Winged Halo would you use it as part of your publishing credits?

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
Woah, yes if submitting shorts, no on novel submissions.

That was from more than one agent blog.

Smiles
Bob

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Lol...we did 100, title included, flash stories in horror. Full story...and it can be done.

250 words is a lot. It just makes you make each word count. I think they are a blast to do.

(Just my two cents.....lol)

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
If you were publish by an online magazine like the Winged Halo would you use it as part of your publishing credits?
I don't see why you shouldn't for the main mag submissions, they're a paying market, albeit small, but for the 250-worders I probably wouldn't. I had a 250-worder accepted by them a few years ago, and thought great. The next time round I sent them 3, thinking they'd take the one they liked most, and they took all 3. I didn't bother after that.

Cheers,
Rob

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
Woah, yes if submitting shorts, no on novel submissions.

That was from more than one agent blog.

Smiles
Bob
That's a new one to me. But then agents can be very quirky, their oddities to behold. Did this one give any reason(s) and/or suggest what credits to include?

Baffled Bayou Bill :cool:

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
That's a new one to me. But then agents can be very quirky, their oddities to behold. Did this one give any reason(s) and/or suggest what credits to include?

Baffled Bayou Bill :cool:

Yes,
If submitting a novel, Include any previous published Novels. If there are none, then Identify you are a first time novelist, or say nothing at all. I'm not sure of the exact words, but it was something like ... If you published a hundred short stories and are an expert at whatever, it does not mean you can write a novel.

The agents and publishers are very interested in finding the gem, the first time novelist that may hit it big. A newbie is a plus, not a minus.

I believe that statement came from http://rejecter.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
Yes,
If submitting a novel, Include any previous published Novels. If there are none, then Identify you are a first time novelist, or say nothing at all. I'm not sure of the exact words, but it was something like ... If you published a hundred short stories and are an expert at whatever, it does not mean you can write a novel.

The agents and publishers are very interested in finding the gem, the first time novelist that may hit it big. A newbie is a plus, not a minus.

I believe that statement came from http://rejecter.blogspot.com/
Magic Man, thanks for the link, it's an interesting site. But as I said before, that's the first time I ever heard that piece of advice. Me, I'll continue to mention some of my credits like every other source I've ever read has recommended.

Bayou Bill :cool:

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
Magic Man, thanks for the link, it's an interesting site. But as I said before, that's the first time I ever heard that piece of advice. Me, I'll continue to mention some of my credits like every other source I've ever read has recommended.

Bayou Bill :cool:

Here is an agent with an opposing view, in addition for Science fiction, short stories publish in Asimov, Omni, etc. are valuable.

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2005/01/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about.asp

Again it is interesting what Neil's agent has to say about getting published.