Week by week - what to expect?

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
There used to be this really nifty sidebar on the Nano site, which told you what to expect, and what strategies to use, for each week of Nano. Now, poof, it's gone. Last time I tried to Nano, I quit during the second week *blush* and I'm sort of hoping to avoid that this year. Besides simply writing the thing, what are a few things I can do to help the process?

On a side note, I'm also doing this month-long Nano party on my blog, and I'm looking for Nano stories to post during the month. Anyone interested?

-Feathers

CMWarren

Registered
Reaction score
We talked about this at the Salem, OR "What is NaNoWriMo" workshop our ML's did for new nanoers.

Basically, if I remeber correct, the first week is the rush from getting started, and finally writing your story, followed by the second week where you are starting to wonder what you have gotten into, with the third week where you are at most danger of having your NaNo Novel switch genres without your permission, and the fourth week is either a mad dash, or you have given up, try again next year.

For the most part, the new NaNo'rs did not seem too put off by the challange once our ML's talked about the support structures our region has to help as many people win. We do alot of events during the week, including meetings on saturdays, a writers convention on the 8th and 9th (wordstock in portland OR for anyone in the area, and want to come by and hang out at our booth!), and a few movie and game nights, a all-state write in, and online chats every thursday.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read Chris Baty's No Plot? No Problem! book? It describes the different stages along with suggestions of how to keep going.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
For me, the second week was the hardest. Last year, I focused on stock-piling words on the first weekend so that if I had a couple of 500 word nights, I was still on target at the end of the second week. For some reason, that helped me get over the wall that I hit the first time I tried Nano.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
For me, the second week was the hardest. Last year, I focused on stock-piling words on the first weekend so that if I had a couple of 500 word nights, I was still on target at the end of the second week. For some reason, that helped me get over the wall that I hit the first time I tried Nano.

I was thinking along these lines because I have to actually move on November 15th or thereabouts so I will not be able to write every day. I was thinking about going over the 1,667 days to a few 3,334 days so I can take some time off.

Also most of my best writing is done in editing. The more 3,334 days I can do, the more editing I can get in.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the end of week two I'm ready to sell glue and cigarettes to the addicts so I can buy some sharp, pointy spikes to hurl myself upon.

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
By the end of week two I am ready to start sniffing glue and chain smoking
By the end of week two I'm ready to sell glue and cigarettes to the addicts so I can buy some sharp, pointy spikes to hurl myself upon
By the end of week too, I'm pulling people off sharp spike they hurled themselves upon and resurrecting their corpses to add as zombie to my novel

Lol. Do I even want to know what goes on weeks 3 and 4?
TheIT, yes, I did start reading his book at my local Barnes&Nobles, but I don't go there often, and they don't have it in my library system, and I'm too cheap to just buy it. 0.o

-Feathers