The original WASSUP! cast members from 8 years ago have been re-assembled!

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Guy! You MUST watch these two YouTube clips!

[BUT YOU MUST ALSO READ MY WARNING BELOW!!]

The first one is the original Budweiser commercial from 8 years ago called the "WASSUP!" commercial.

The second is a parody of it where they re-assembled all of the original cast members to reprise all of their roles. But this time, it's a socio-political satire as a lead-in to the upcoming election.

Original Budweiser ad:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=hZiypKGqovc&feature=channel

New satire ad:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HJhLFfYsMsQ

I left a comment on the video where I said if anyone has the space on their harddrive, please download it and save it. I am suspecting that Anheuser-Busch will be calling in their lawyers and then cease-and-desisting this YouTube video out of existence VERY soon.

WARNING! THE SATIRE AD HAS A POLITICAL SLANT TO IT. I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE AWAY THE VIDEO'S PUNCHLINE HERE IN THE OP. JUST BE PREPARED FOR A BIAS TO REAR ITS BIAS-Y HEAD.

Last edited:

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
What?? No one replied to ths thread in 24 hours?? :(

Okay, this is a *bump* and it's also a prediction....

... I predict that this video will go hyper-viral in the next 72 hours, and then will be the toast of all the evening news shows by Thursday night. I predict this because of the following:

1) The original commerical is VERY well-known and was a culture-impacting landmark in TV commericials. The phrase "Wassup!" became widespread as far as people deliberately reciting that word just like in the commercial (to be comic, but never to be serious).

2) The original commercial is "owned" by a slightly older generation. In other words, it's NOT part of the cultural identity of the current 14-24 year olds, but rather it "belongs" to the generation of 25-40 year old. So this revisiting of it is something that will appeal to them.

3) The producers of this video somehow, someway, by some amazing miracle, managed to assemble all five of the original cast members from the original commercial. That's an astounding feat in an of itself. So this is NOT merely a parody with substitute actors, it IS those same actors! The novelty behind that is irresistable!

4) They managed to duplicate almost every last camera angle, every bit of lighting, every exposure setting, every shutter speed. They duplicated the lighting and cinematography down to the last molecule. That also is an amazing feat of the sort that gets TV and movie people twittering away quite giddilly.

5) The budget for this thing ain't too shabby. They easilly spent six digits on it all. The quality of the props and costumes that they spent on the guy who's stationed in Iraq is impressive all by itself.

6) Cindy McCain owns over a million dollars worth of stock in the Anheuser-Busch company. And Anheuser-Busch is on record as having donated big bucks to the McCain campaign this past spring. The insane irony of all that is far too much for the mainstream media to pass up.

7) The punchline at the end is just perfect. They did a fantastic job in the oveall execution of this piece. I call for a Webby Award!

Meanwhile, there are duplicate versions of this same video on YouTube, one of which has already racked up over 1.5 million hits in just 4 days. Such as right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq8Uc5BFogE

I expect that Jon Stewart might very well be having this thing on The Daily Show at some point this week as well.

(But remember, folks--you saw it here first! :D )

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this today and I have to admit it was better than I expected (coming from a guy who was pretty "meh" about the original Wassup commercials).

Is it wrong that the funniest part to me was when dude's legs are kicking...?

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I just saw this today and I have to admit it was better than I expected (coming from a guy who was pretty "meh" about the original Wassup commercials).

Is it wrong that the funniest part to me was when dude's legs are kicking...?

Is it wrong?

Well, I personally was somewhat horrified at myself for likewise laughing so hard at the guy's legs dangling. It was pretty obvious he was trying to hang himself, and we all know that suicide is no laughing matter. So at that point the whole thing rapidly degenerated from a light comedy to a dark comedy, bordering on black comedy (the whole Iraq thing certainly made it dark to begin with). And I suppose the one saving grace to that forray into a suicide attempt is that he wound up being okay after all (he fell from the ceiling and then stood up relatively intact).

Is it wrong?

Maybe no more wrong than laughing at any given scenario from Pulp Fiction.